topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 11:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "Best Archive Tool" The Winner Revealed?  (Read 11931 times)

stevo

• Participant
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Best Archive Tool" The Winner Revealed?
« on: September 06, 2005, 06:51 PM »
First of all I want to say great review & great site  :)

I do want to bring to your attention 1 contender,  ZipZag ,  that was unfortunately left out of the review...it's just my humble opinion, but I believe everyone will agree that it deserves top honors.

In a nutshell it handles over 180 extensions / plugins http://www.zipzag.com/features.html
                                    +
Features include: extract, add, delete, sfx, unsfx, convert, batch add, batch extract, merge, run, install, checkout, view, test, virus scan, repair, remove known password, truncate, span, unspan, mail, print file list, file list export to txt, csv and htm files and more...

I had to make the choice for an archiver about a year ago and I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised with ZipZag.

They have some extensive comparisons / tests on their website too: http://www.zipzag.com/compare.html

ZipZag is intuitive, fast , and efficient, but best of all it's only $19.95 compared to most other major contender's $29.95

The only drawback that I found is that it is only available for Windows, grrr... I am an extensive Linux user and I would love to see a version for Linux, but for now there are plenty of decent Linux archivers available.

-Stevo

PS: On a side note, if I can get permission from congress*, I will sure try to write a mini-review or two

*the other 1/2

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Best Archive Tool" The Winner Revealed?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 08:39 PM »
hi steve,
wow zipzag sure looks nice!
maybe zaine can give it a look and let us know how he thinks it stacks up.

ps. we've love to have soem mini-reviews ! buy congress a dinner out and make the request :)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 09:15 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, stevo! I will be more than happy to spend a couple of days with it, maybe even add it to the emended review. The great thing about DonationCoder.com reviews is that they are subject to change based on updates and corrective feedback from users.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2005, 09:35 AM »
Steve, ZipZag is up! I've got to fdisk and reinstall as my system is no longer healthy.