topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 5:25 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ever used Windows CardSpace??  (Read 3741 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ever used Windows CardSpace??
« on: May 18, 2007, 10:06 AM »
Looking around at my 'new' XP I found this thing called Windows CardSpace. The idea of the program and the product, the electronic ID card, is to identify yourself in an fast, easy and reliable manner. It can be used to identify yourself to your net bank or the local power supplier or what/who-ever. It can even replace the way we normally have to register to a forum or a program, because you can set up various degrees of info you are willing to give. Only a few infos to the forum and a lot of infos to the bank. And so on.      Did you check this out on your own XP?

I have of course created some cards, but I have never had the chance to actually use them. Nor have I ever heard of any site or company using them. Did you ever come across a site or company or institution that actually uses Windows CardSpace??
 :tellme:
If 'No'; why don't 'we' use this? It sounds easy and safe. I would imagine the Windows CardSpace is a good idea.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Windows_CardSpace

I would like to show you a screenshot, but the program prevents such for safety reasons. Which may be okay.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:25 AM by Curt »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Ever used Windows CardSpace??
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 10:26 AM »
I now realize that I got the CardSpace from .NET Framework 3.0 - so most people don't have it yet!
- Hmm... this info is new to me, and makes this hole thread a bad idea.  :-[ ]
 Sorry!

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 10:30 AM »
It's build into vista, and it uses UAC to prevent you minimizing or screenshotting it, even adding a delay timer doesn't work. Interesting how this works in XP as it doesn't have UAC.

A competitor is OpenID which is decentralised single login, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenID for more info.

Support for OpenID is in the works on webservices like Wordpress (IIRC) and several others, however Windows Cardspace is centralised via Microsoft so I don't know how widespread support will be.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 12:20 PM »
If I have understood the Wiki articles, then the site that uses OpenID will know that I am who I am claiming to be, but will not know who I am, but if they use CardSpace they will also know who I am.

:tellme:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 12:25 PM by Curt »