topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Please help [me make a game]  (Read 9926 times)

Asrael

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Please help [me make a game]
« on: June 26, 2007, 07:27 AM »
I really want to make my own MMoRPG that is like this: www.racewarkingdoms.com but with my own items, monsters, races, classes and stuff like that. Only problem is that i didnt know any coding and coding classes don't exist where i live. I have also tried to learn from manuals i have found online but since their not in my own language its hard. Also, the games i find manuals for are not the same as i wish to make. Could any of you who know how to do it please make a ready code for me where i only need to change the variables? Or maybe get me a guide or something? If you help me i am willing to make a donation to this webpage to help keep it going.

2 things before replying. please look at www.racewarkingdoms.com first if you post about manuals. and I know it is prolly not as simple as i hope but i though i would give it a try anyway so please don't flame me.

In advance thanks.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 08:04 PM by mouser »

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Please help
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 08:26 AM »
If you want to create a game, you need to learn programming. There's no way around it, unless you gather a bunch of programmers and stick exclusively to the design part... "make a ready code for me where i only need to change the variables?" is a pretty big job, and I doubt anybody would do that for you - for free, anyway.
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 08:36 AM »
One possibility you might consider is offering your services to an existing game development project, so you could join a team which is developing such a game.

Asrael

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 09:42 AM »
I see...
Well i could pay someone to do it. So if anyone is intrested in taking it as a paid job ot make be the code then send me a e-mail to [email protected] and tell me what you can make and to what price. And the thing about joining a team. I Already got a full idea in my head, i just dont know enough about coding to make it happen.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 09:51 AM »
I can't help directly with the project but you might want to look at something like

http://darkbasic.thegamecreators.com/

which is a programming language (based on Basic which is pretty easy to learn)  designed to help you design and write games simply. There are loads of tutorials too to get you started.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 10:03 AM »
...won't help much if the game is going to run web-based, though. And if it's going to be a "real" MMORPG game (ie, with a client executable), he needs a lot more than just downloading DarkBasic ;)
- carpe noctem

Asrael

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 10:47 AM »
If you look at www.racewarkingdoms.com you see that is is mostly textbased with a few simple graficks. its something like this i want, though prolly a bit more simple.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2007, 11:03 AM »
My .02:
Creating a game is
I see...
Well i could pay someone to do it. So if anyone is intrested in taking it as a paid job ot make be the code then send me a e-mail to [email protected] and tell me what you can make and to what price. And the thing about joining a team. I Already got a full idea in my head, i just dont know enough about coding to make it happen.
To be honest creating a game could be quite an expensive thing.  It could cost anywhere from 10K to well over 100K.  When you get into a complicated type of game it just takes time, lots of time.

Your best bet is to locate a game engine and learn the engine and programming language.  Then you can build it without the expense - just your time.

Some engines:
http://www.devmaster...PG_Creation_Packages
(just need to review as to whether they support an online environment)

One more:
http://www.dimensionex.net/en/

Asrael

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2007, 11:09 AM »
ouch. i dont got that kind of money lying aroud  :(. but ill check out the pages. thanks for your help.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2007, 11:16 AM »
Like the saying goes "you get what you pay for"  I would be very weary of someone selling game development under 10K.  Again, this is all being said not knowing the details of the game.  A tower of defense game under 10K? Sure, no problem.  A role playing game? I would think not.

In fact there was a game development crew selling their service to create any game you wanted within 6 months or 3 months, or something like that, with the only guarantee of bringing the game to beta for 250K.

Asrael

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2007, 11:19 AM »
The kind of game i want to make it more or less a game with only a bacground story but you dont really do anything to follow it. You just lev. fight monsters and other players and try to be the best one. btw. i have been looking at "Video Game Design Pro". Anyone know if its any good and easy to use?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2007, 05:40 PM »
What he wants, I gather, isn't some client-based fancy-gfx engine, but some online mostly text-based game. Ie., a PHP or whatever job with some database diddley-doo. Can still take quite some time to develop, though...
- carpe noctem

Asrael

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2007, 01:07 AM »
correct f0dder.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2007, 05:53 PM »
Text based with a few graphics? You mean like http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/ ?

All you'd really need to do is learn PHP, CSS, and XHTML, with some database like MySQL.

All of those things are free to download and learn, with decent manuals. For CSS and XHTML, check out the W3 consortium. PHP has a manual you can download from the website, as does MySQL. If the PHP/MySQL manuals aren't good enough, try buying a good PHP book from Amazon. MySQL is probably covered at least briefly, or some books cover both PHP and MySQL (as indicated by their title).

Download PHP and the manual: http://www.php.net/
World Wide Web (W3) Consortium: http://www.w3.org/ - Or more specifically, XHTML 1.1 - CSS 2.1 (I haven't made a web site in a while, so maybe CSS 3 and XHTML 2 are the common standards now. I'm not sure)
And MySQL: http://mysql.org/

Or get it all in one package with a server and everything so you can test it all on your computer with something like XAMPP
« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 05:59 PM by Deozaan »

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Please help [me make a game]
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 07:26 AM »
I suggest you take a good look at Byond.

It is not text-based, but you might want to take a look at RPG Maker XP. It is $60 USD, but it is a complete solution - you wouldn't need anything else.

If you want to do something like Fallout, then take a look at FIFE. It is still in development, but is open source. I am not sure how difficult it is to use.

Another option all together, that you may wish to pursue is to do a MOD. You can use Diablo, Morrowind, Neverwinter Nights or many others.

There is also a pretty comprehensive list here.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 07:31 AM by tinjaw »

Asrael

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 07:29 AM »
I already have RPG Maker XP and are making a game with it. but its not for online games witch is what i want to make

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 07:38 AM »
I already have RPG Maker XP and are making a game with it. but its not for online games witch is what i want to make

The Byond is probably your best bet.

Also, would you please be so very kind as to provide a micro-review of RPG Maker XP for those of use who have not used it?

Asrael

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2007, 07:47 AM »
well. RPG Maker XP lets u make games that looks like old Final Fantasy games. It has good options to make many games. I have even seen people make shooting games with it.

(+) - Easy to use (no code at all ;D)
     - Many options and large variarity of posibilities.
     - Cheap
     - Can download more content
     - Easy to make a proffesional story

(-) - Not many spirits to choose from
     - Not so good graficks
     - takes some time to get used to.

All in all this is a good engine for single player games and can be used both by beginners and more experienced users. if you want more spirits then i advice to get RPG Maker 2000 and get the large update file for that since it gives tons of more files.

If you guys want i can post a demo for the game im currently working on with it. its far from perfect but its playable and shows some of the functions you can look at afterwards with the maker.

Veign

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2007, 09:30 AM »
What he wants, I gather, isn't some client-based fancy-gfx engine, but some online mostly text-based game. Ie., a PHP or whatever job with some database diddley-doo. Can still take quite some time to develop, though...

Takes me back to the days of playing many, many hours of Zork

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2007, 01:05 PM »
Text based with a few graphics? You mean like http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/ ?

All you'd really need to do is learn PHP, CSS, and XHTML, with some database like MySQL.

All of those things are free to download and learn, with decent manuals. For CSS and XHTML, check out the W3 consortium. ...

I always found W3 consortium to be a little difficult to learn from when you don't know up from down of the language.  I much prefer using HTMLDog.com.  They take a simple, step-by-step, standards only approach similar to W3C, but with a "For Dummies" type of feel.  They also explain more fully why you should do something the way they suggest and in many cases why/how it works that way.  They also have a comprehensive list of current tags that you can click on to show usage.  I just always felt it made more sense and was more user friendly than W3C.  That said, W3C is, never the less, a defacto source for valid information regarding any programming standard, not just XHTML or CSS.