topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:48 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Another FARR similar app - Executor  (Read 27772 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Another FARR similar app - Executor
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2009, 02:28 PM »
For a long time I used SlickRun.  What killed it for me though, is you pretty much had to create an alias to do anything other than open a folder.  I'll have to look at Executor out of curiosity.

btw Mouser I'm glad you did the videos for FARR and ScreenShot Captor.  When I open options for a utility and see this giant tree structure, then I tend to think "show me how to do the main function because I don't want to spend a week figuring out how to change a setting in this thing."  SlickRun wasn't very good about hooking into other stuff.  I guess it's a balance how much coupling to have between utilities.  With too much, then if one thing breaks, your whole methodology of working goes on hold.  With too little, you are manually cutting and pasting etc.. a trade-off as in most things engineering.

d4ni

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2009, 08:00 PM »
As someone who is not a geeky type I like the fact that it is easy to use and the killer for me is that it uses much less memory than the others. The way i have FARR set up it sits in the tray and uses 2mb! executor uses 5.5
So you're not the geeky type but the biggest advantage of FARR over other tools is that it uses a whopping 3.5 MB less memory? You do realize you most likely have about 1000+ MB at your disposal? Don't get me wrong it's nice when an app uses little RAM but 2 MB vs 5.5 MB doesn't make any difference (yes more than double but it's 3.5 MB for crying out loud).

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 01:31 AM »
I'm sticking with FARR!

One thing I would like is a customizable background - bit it's not a must... ;)

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 12:52 PM »
..snip..
Don't get me wrong it's nice when an app uses little RAM but 2 MB vs 5.5 MB doesn't make any difference (yes more than double but it's 3.5 MB for crying out loud).
Yes, any free RAM is wasted RAM. My FARR uses about 50 MB and I really don't give a damn about it, as long as it runs fast and reliable :)
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

delwoode

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 09:47 AM »
As someone who is not a geeky type I like the fact that it is easy to use and the killer for me is that it uses much less memory than the others. The way i have FARR set up it sits in the tray and uses 2mb! executor uses 5.5
So you're not the geeky type but the biggest advantage of FARR over other tools is that it uses a whopping 3.5 MB less memory? You do realize you most likely have about 1000+ MB at your disposal? Don't get me wrong it's nice when an app uses little RAM but 2 MB vs 5.5 MB doesn't make any difference (yes more than double but it's 3.5 MB for crying out loud).

It wasnt the only reason. But all the others i tried used more memory, executor used 5.5 at the lowest.  Yes it doesnt seem much does it, but when you have about a dozen apps running it can add up before you realize.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2009, 10:41 AM »
Remember to look at the actual application memory consumption, rather than it's working set size :)
- carpe noctem

tunayx

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2009, 04:13 PM »
Executor appears faster than FARR but Executor haven't got instant indexing feature. Whenever I install an app, if it doesn't add shortcut to my desktop I open FARR and type few letters and it's there. That's why I prefer FARR. :Thmbsup:

ZekeBlue

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2009, 11:26 PM »
I was using Executor and switched to FARR when I found it.  Just overall more friendly and flexible.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2009, 02:56 PM »
An interesting one I just noticed on Gizmo's site is Enso.  It's kind of strange in its approach but it looks like it may be good for at least opening the current URL in a different browser without depending on a plugin and without using a different hotkey for each different browser.  You have to type the "open with" jazz and teach it open commands but it may have some uses.

Most stuff is faster in FARR because you just type the name of the app or folder, but Enso may be handy for some stuff with selected file or text.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2009, 03:04 PM »
MilesAhead: Enso has quite a few threads on DC, see here ;)

[edit] Yay! This time I was faster than mouser :P [/edit]

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2009, 05:10 PM »
MilesAhead: Enso has quite a few threads on DC, see here ;)

[edit] Yay! This time I was faster than mouser :P [/edit]

Thanks. I'll take a look. :)