topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: "Files NOT Used" utility  (Read 10336 times)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
"Files NOT Used" utility
« on: May 15, 2007, 11:12 PM »
Does anyone know of an app that will keep track of the last time or many times an app was used and then rank them?

I am wanting to keep my hard drive as spartan as I can in an attempt to eliminate as many variables as possible from affecting my computer.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:24 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: "Files NOT Used" utility
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 11:35 PM »
afaik norton clean sweep did something like that back in the days when i had it once installed.

but be aware that deleting files solely on the last access time is pretty unsafe ;-)

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 11:37 PM »
Yes, I had CleanSweep too, at one point, but I think it went with my PC to the repair house and did not come back with it, at least that is my best guess.

As far as "last access," I am only intending on deleting files that are over a year old since I last accessed them, but your caution is well taken.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:27 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

BigJim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • I have seen the light!
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 12:48 AM »
To each his/her own. But with disk space so inexpensive these days I don't see the point. Admittedly, I'm a pack rat. But I find that needing to reference a file (or email, for example) a year or more old is not uncommon.

Have fun!
TruckerJim says "You can go down a hill too slow a thousand times. But too fast only once."

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 09:37 AM »
I think I'd be inclined to move old files to a specific backup rather than just deleting them.  It doesn't happen often compared to regular file access, but I've certainly had the need to dig out fles that were untouched for a lot longer than 180 days.  Why not dump them to DVD along with path information?

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 04:38 PM »
I think I'd be inclined to move old files to a specific backup rather than just deleting them.  It doesn't happen often compared to regular file access, but I've certainly had the need to dig out files that were untouched for a lot longer than 180 days.  Why not dump them to DVD along with path information?
-cranioscopical (May 16, 2007, 09:37 AM)

Certainly a valid consideration.  DVDs are pretty cheap too, nowadays.  Thanks, Chris!.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:29 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

CodeTRUCKER

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 04:39 PM »
I must confess that I am quite surprised that this utility is not more available.  Maybe that is saying something or I am ignorant of existing utility.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2009, 12:32 PM by CodeTRUCKER »

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 06:10 PM »
You could simply use Windows search function on a wildcard and sort by date accessed (slow though).

How about any of the main indexing apps (eg. Google desktop, X1 etc) you could the same thing - force it to list all files and sort by date.

The advantage of one of these desktop tools is that you could easily limit your search by file type.

You could perhaps use a backup program to archive certain file types older than a certain date too if that's what you need and then offload them to a DVD or set of DVDs.

I wouldn't touch system files, apps or DLL files etc. though as their dates aren't often updated and you could find your whole system hosed!

If you want to get rid of applications you never use the best way is to uninstall them - YourUninstaller! does a good job of clearing up left over rubbish too. (I just spent two days doing this - I had so much shareware crap slowing down my system - the uninstaller tells you when you last accessed an application).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 06:12 PM by Carol Haynes »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 06:30 PM »
Locate32 comes to the rescue... again!  :-* Lightning fast to index, useful in a miriad of ways.
2007-05-17_002927.png

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 08:09 PM »
I still ned the utility to find them... any leads?
I think justice has a very good solution for you.   Take the output and use your favourite editor to make a script/batch file to move out what you dare.  Carol's right to urge caution, you could be in for a lot of pain.  Happy hunting :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 08:35 PM »
Hey Farmsteader,
Your post has created some interest for me.  I decided to poke around on my main machine.
I used Locate for this. Here are a few findings:
On my system I have 14747 files modified prior to May 1997
Many of these would cause me problems if they went missing...much of my Tex/Latex installation, for example,
not to mention the Adobe Font Folio that I keep on line.
I did find the amount that I paid for one of my HDDs in 1989
9Gig seagate SCSI drive         11ms 1MB cache     -------------- $3,070.00
At the same time 64MB RAM cost me $2,800... Ouch!

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2007, 02:52 AM »
I have never used it myself but maybe you can drag the files from locate to Drag+Drop Robot from our very own genius Mouser.