topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 1:35 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Missing in Part 2...  (Read 9912 times)

noutters

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Missing in Part 2...
« on: May 16, 2007, 08:46 AM »
The testing and review of word processors is a very tedious work. Such reviews are, unfortunately, too few on the web.

I regret not to see in the review of word processors - Part 2 - the excellent Adobe FrameMaker  :-*. This is a rock-stable processor I used to write my research thesis that integrates perfectly with other Adobe tools and very friendly when sending even huge documents to a desktop printer or an industrial press factory  :Thmbsup:
May be a price tag of about 800USD puts it out of the league of the word processors we heard of?

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Missing in Part 2...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 03:34 AM »
It hadnt had an update in a long time, something which is now corrected. That should get it more exposure again.

But when I think of it I would classify Framemaker as a publishing tool more than a wordprocessor - i.e. more likely to be reviewed alongside pagemaker and quark than Word and Wordperfect....

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2007, 03:50 PM »
Has part 2 of the roundup been posted? I've looked and still see part 1 available only... I'm eagerly awaiting the next two installments! Go Zaine, go!

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2007, 11:40 AM »
why oh why none of the reviewed word processors offers tabs?
Is it that difficult to do? All text editors have'em...

Please post here if you know a way to get tabs with any word processor...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2007, 01:01 PM »
WordToys will add tabs to MS Word. Unfortunately, its website, along with its developer have disappeared for the moment. Google it and you should be able to find a download. There are both free and shareware versions; either will give you tabs (and they're both derived from the same download).

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2007, 08:51 PM »
Thanks Darwin.
Well, it looks like it installs a whole bunch of small buttons. Can you get rid of those and just use the tabs? I'm a bit scared of it hosing my pristine word 2007 install...

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2007, 09:19 PM »
If you install it, you get a new menu called "toys". Clicking on this you'll have the option of showing the toolbar or disabling it. Provided you remember to click on "save settings" right at the bottom you'll never see it! I can tell you, though, that WordToys has been rock solid under Word 2003 - I've had it installed for three years plus and have never had any problems with it. Hope it works out for you. You'll get a 30 day trial of the Pro version which will revert to the freebie if you don't pay for a licence.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 12:25 AM »
Before the guy's site disappeared he had a note saying he was giving it away, he wasn't interested, at that time anyway in developing it for word2007 so he shut the lot, so all you can get now is the free version, since there is no way, that i know of anyway, to get a licence key, so dont get to like the pro features  ;)