topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Firefox  (Read 26403 times)

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firefox
« on: May 16, 2007, 07:59 AM »
All right, been running Firefox for a few days and am really happy with it's speed and simple design.

The more add-ons I add the slower it is on my computer but still faster then ie7.
Firefox gives many options on add-ons that ie7 does not.
Mainly that the list of add-ons is readily available whereas ie7 you must hunt them down.
Although on both ie7 and Firefox there are add-ons that are not expedient.

Firefox is faster I believe because it uses less internal system resources.
Whereas ie7 is seems tied to everything in the computer.
In other words when bringing up ie7, you also start more then needed.
Firefox is a stand alone application and can run with out additional resources from the main operating system.

With Firefox I have 5 add-ons.
With ie7 I only had a few that I intentionally added-iespell and spybot.
The rest is automatic to use ie7.
Of course there is always java that needs to be there for me.
Not sure exactly what add-ons are inherent in Firefox.
Though I see a spell checker is already there and ready.

In conclusion-
I will use Firefox as my main browser.
At this time anyway...lol...Opera and others are looking for attention also.

Thanks.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Firefox
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2007, 08:09 AM »
I recently returned to Firefox after having used Opera for months.  The main reason for the switch back was that I think Firefox is more useful for web research with integration with notetaking tools, delicious tagging, etc.  For the most part, I haven't lost any of the functions that I used in Opera, and have gained quite a few that I am already making use of.  If Opera were to ever open up an API for extensions, I would switch back in a heartbeat.

Carl Thorpe

Wordzilla

• Forum Search Daemon
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Two there should be; no more, no less.
    • View Profile
    • FreeThesaurus.net - The Free Online Synonym Finder
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 08:09 AM »
Great. Firefox is clearly a better choice over IE7 (IMHO).

Talking about add-ons, I currently have the following installed and enabled:

1. Fire Bug
2. Web Developer Toolbar
3. Restart Firefox
4. ReloadEvery

You might be interested in this topic as well: Firefox Extensions: Your favorite or most useful   :)

dhuser

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • King Dogbert
    • View Profile
    • StumbleUpon Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2007, 08:49 AM »
I like and use Firefox because of the add-ons, open-source, and not being made by a giant software maker. IE7 has some improvements over IE6, but still I will use Firefox.

And the Update process is easier. No IE6 > IE7 upgrade fiasco...
http://www.ie-vista....om/known_issues.html
The installer removed existing files, the installer failed, then did not put back the files it removed. I lost every IE component. System Restore then did not run, as it runs on IE. I ended up just re-installing Windows XP. The reason why this happened is that ZoneAlarm was installed... IE7 eventually installed with the new re-installed system. I was smart to install it before ZoneAlarm.

Go Firefox! 8)
dhuser
My StumbleUpon Profile
Imagine.Explore.Create!

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 08:50 AM »
That link is ok Wordzilla,
But it's dealing with Firefox 1.5, currently using Firefox/2.0.0.3.
Not sure on the updates.
Speaking of updates, I assume you have to update Firefox yourself.
Seems there may not be an auto update feature in Firefox.
Which is no problem.
I check filehippo.com regularly.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 10:23 AM »
Auto update can do both firefox and your extensions/themes.  Its under tools, options, advanced, update.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 10:37 AM »
Right now I have the following Add Ons installed

del.icio.us Bookmarks
DOM Inspector
Firebug
MinimizeToTray
No Squint
Speed Dial
Stop-or-Reload Button
Tab Mix Plus
Tiny Menu
Web Developer

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 10:42 AM »
The main reason for the switch back was that I think Firefox is more useful for web research with integration with notetaking tools, delicious tagging, etc. 
del.pngFirefox
notes.pngFirefox

Come back ;)

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 11:00 AM »
Sorry, the built in notes and delicious bookmarklets can't hold a candle to Firefox's extensions and the ability to integrate external programs with it.

For example, clicking the delicious bookmarklet in Opera lets you tag the link and send it to delicious.  In Firefox, the box offers suggested tags based on your tags as well as tags given to the page by other users:

ffdadd.png

Also, you can get a delicious menu that lets you go to your tagged sites with ease.

ffdlist.png

As for Opera's notes, the biggest problem is that they don't retain formatting.  In fact, copying text from Opera always results in unformatted text.  Even if you could copy formatted text into the notes, being able to integrate programs such as Evernote or Surfulator with Firefox is wonderful.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 11:11 AM »
Ohh dear i have over 30 firefox extionsions  :-[, and i weeded them recently  ;D fortunatley there is FEBE and CLEO to back them up (also backs up other stuff like cookies and user chrome etc, and the blurb says it will back up almost anything you want, but ive never tried to do other stuff than what is in there by default)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 12:41 PM »
and yet the best FF extention no one said yet, ietab, with it you have IE and FF in one browser
[Insert really cool signature here]

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2007, 01:24 PM »
the idea of embedding ie into ff does not appeal to me, i use ie view lite for when i really have to go to ie but you dont have to contaminate ff tooo much

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2007, 01:29 PM »
ietab is an extention that all you do is click an icon in the bottom right and the page will reload, and the tab will now be IE. once you close the tab or push the icon again, ie is gone and FF is back

edit: ietab doesn't add any toolbars or interface changes to ff, just a tiny icon in the bottom right.
[Insert really cool signature here]

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 10:14 AM »
Well......seems Firefox slowed down a lot so I reinstalled it and it was back up to speed.
Reinstalled without uninstalling it.
Going to stay with ie7 though and use Firefox for the little tricks it can do.
Since I've added a few things to firefox, ie7 is a bit faster then firefox.
Plus I have my favorites synced between two computers,
yeah I know firefox can do that too, another add-on.

btw, no noticeable speed increase with tip number 12 from the 15 coolest tricks thread.
And I put it at 8 not 30 as suggested.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2007, 10:16 AM by cmpm »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 12:03 PM »
Use Launchy if you want to view a page in IE, or in another browser, or in any program ;D

Seriously, IE Tab is freaking fearful. The Firefox people always screaming about IE dangers, and they embed its engine in a tab.

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 04:14 PM »
Not so much screaming since IE7 and I believe activex is still not working in IETab.

cmpm, how many extensions you use dont matter that much except for longer startup time (not much). Depends more on what they do, how buggy they are. Some are to be avoided that is for sure. Does not take more than 1 bad to kill the fun. You should not notice any change in speed unless there is a problem.

One of the reasons Profile Manger is useful http://kb.mozillazin...file_Manager#Windows No need to uninstall/reinstall really. Use their knowledge base for questions http://kb.mozillazine.org/Knowledge_Base - and I almost said dump cool lists. It is all there.

Best to use almost default Firefox for a while. Find out what blows and then fill out the holes. You dont need to tweak anything except what is in options already. If you download user.js from that list then be aware those settings are still active after you delete user.js and every about:config must also be reverted if you want to go back. Again use for a new profile. Not default settings are in prefs.js btw - can be edited with closed Firefox.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2007, 04:50 PM »
I'll try your suggestions dk70, but really what i added to firefox is what i wanted it do.
So now the slim browser is ie7.

I added quite a few search engines for research and the youtube downloader and a few other things.
Although i found a website to download youtube with out a program.

http://www.metacafe....os_without_software/

Also i have adblocking in my ie7 so that's not a problem. In fact I used the program till it expired and uninstalled it and it's still blocking ads, well most of them. firefox's is better but i can live with google ads.

Still learning, but speed slow downs show up quick on my old machine.
Too cheap to spend on another computer when what I have is working.

btw DC, I do intend to donate sooner or later. your programs are unmatched.
Freedom is a wonderful thing.

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2007, 05:44 PM »
Well yes go crazy and do what you want - that is the idea with Firefox. Just know about the problems you can create for yourself by adding and adding. Suddenly you dont like Firefox so much and it could have been avoided.

Adblock Plus https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/1865 is the one to get for adblocking. Subscribe to a known good list like Easylist http://adblockplus.org/en/subscriptions Must increase cpu usage a bit but also speed up site loading, extension itself does not slow down much if at all.

May be you should consider making IE7 Firefox? I use IE7Pro http://www.ie7pro.com/ takes care of adblocking as well. Basic blocking perhaps but all counts. Does what it says on their site. I think I could use IE7 as default browse with this add-on. In case Firefox dont cut it you could try this. Better search forum for "ie7pro" because some more than hints it is connected with Spyware. I cant make sense out of any of those accusations, except the one about promoting/spamming software on forums. Is not even Adware but you be the judge.

I dont think Firefox is "slimmer" than IE7 - but know for sure it can sprint on an "old" AMD Barton 3200 cpu, 512mb ram. Feels faster to me when it comes to GUI - Tab shifts in IE7 just give wrong impression, not snappy as in Firefox. All that about loading times is mostly nonsense to me though of course you can pick some sites and notice differences - in general they are so close you need benchmarks to "clearly" see X is faster than Z - because they repeat whatever a million times in order to not output similar results. Some truth in there but not something to worry about.

May be K-Meleon http://kmeleon.sourceforge.net/ is better for your computer - or Opera. Have to settle with what works if computer is that slow. Lots of video viewing is probably not the best for cpu regardless of browser. Be sure to get latest plugins, flash especially.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 11:16 PM »
i have two pent 3's and have compared the speed side by side both ways
ie7 has beaten firefox everytime after the add-ons i wanted

so what i'll do is use ie7 for normal internet tasks
and firefox for the tasks i set it up for

ie7pro does not measure up to my standards of security and performance
the tasks i need that ie7pro provides are being accomplished by other programs

the internet is not a safe place in general imo
tasks that can be accomplished without involving internet access is more secure

shoot google your email address or handle or name
it's all being tracked and i'm not paranoid
just know that nothing is secure when other people are involved
they can always make a mistake or intentionally misuse info

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2007, 01:21 AM »
Is IE7 faster for surfing for you or just to load, as FF is notorious for being a slow loader, but is noted to be quicker once its going, horses for courses of course, and whichever browser suits is the one you should use.  (IE7 gets the advantage with start up speed and smaller memory as its so integrated into windows itself) 

Cheers
Gro

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2007, 06:46 AM »
cmpm, you have 2 forum posts with unsubstantiated accusations to judge that program on. A bit unfair perhaps? "Internet access" a risk? Well whatever, but you are not more safe by accepting everything you read or jumping to conclusions that is for sure. Always demand proofs and some logic, must be skeptical both ways - most can be revealed by doing a bit of research. Goes for Google tracking as well. Too much ranting and politics about "security", not really that big a deal. Actual dangers are elsewhere, mostly sitting in front of computer ;)

I guess you know Microsoft knows every url you have ever visited with IE7? Just like Google does if you install toolbar and activate full blown web history? So now you must deactivate Anti-Phishing filter to be safe? Does this not make the old popular warning of Windows "phoning home" seem like a friendly gesture?

Dont think Firefox extensions are without privacy issues, some of them have a policy - and most are made by unknown people/companies. Not secure by any means. You better have a net sniffer running 24/7 if IE7Pro seem so risky. I think you will be surprised/scared or will reevaluate what internet access is... There are people involved with everything, with your argument only way to get "secure" is not using anything and definitely not internet. But the opposite is what you should do - use internet to check things out, like for example the little add-on IE7Pro. When done it would be nice if you explained why program is to be avoided. I cant find anything suspicious other than here and that is more like a confusion.

Anyway, possible Firefox appears quicker once loaded but if you disregard the strange tab shifting in IE7 I think most has to do with it using more memory for caching than IE7. If amount of memory is on level with P3 then may be not a  wanted feature. Does adjust max. cache levels to available memory but still. Also Firefox definitely is less happy than IE7, Opera to release memory. Firefox hang on to cached media files much longer. I got the feeling Opera will beat both of them.   

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2007, 12:48 PM »
I never said to avoid ie7pro. I said I will not use it at this time. I said I wanted more end-user input. And you are the one pushing ie7pro-why?

There is a thread of warning from a reputable poster here on this forum.

The rest of your post treats me like I don't know things. You are assuming that I don't know a lot of things.

Personally I believe we should take things into our hands and get some laws passed about web-crawlers and the like.

And permanently ban e-mail address list trading as well as require that any e-mail sent have a return e-mail box that can be accessed. And unsubscribe honoured instead of ignored.

Why don't someone come up with a web-crawler-killer or something like that? And kill the damn thing so good that it fries the computer that sent it!

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2007, 01:02 PM »
dk70

Always demand proofs and some logic, must be skeptical both ways - most can be revealed by doing a bit of research.

I have researched it wether you believe it or not. It's features are not appealing to me. I have no use for most of them.

This is a site known by the author of the program and that author remains silent. To me that speaks words that I can hear.

They flooded the internet with their campaign and one would have to go pages and pages back in a search to find anything real end-users are saying about ie7pro.

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2007, 01:09 PM »
And I never said this either.

There are people involved with everything, with your argument only way to get "secure" is not using anything and definitely not internet.

Please quote me if you are going to accuse me of saying something.

It's this kind of approach you have towards any comments on the way I run my computer and internet that leaves me wondering if you have even read what was said or meant by my posts or others regarding anything computer or internet related.

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2007, 03:05 PM »
You are jumping to conclusions without bothering to research. And talk about security standards. Try stick to the matter which is I gave you link to a confusing post about that add-on - not any meat on accusations but if in the mood useful to fuel "risk" thinking. There is a need for that no doubt, just dont mistake that for optimal security. Unless you have a little proof are you not being very unfair? Best way of putting it.

I linked you to that theat thread by "a reputable poster" in the hope you would prefer to think for yourself - and you eat it up 100%. Your choice but dont say you have experience with IE7Pro to make judgement according to your security standards. You have a rambling forum post but good enough. Why claim you have done any evaluation? Accusations are still wrong and will continue to be wrong until there is proof, not a matter of opinions or the weather - Mouser could post the same and so will I. Reputable poster is a strange value btw. Dont believe all you read or give someone a free ride just because you recognize name. All make mistakes. One thing is to make the fantastic discovery of some clown spamming the program a few times over a month long periode (minor task for ADM, nothing to cry about in separeate thread), another to blindly connect it with spyware because it fits! Facts are required but nothing except ideas that you mght not se it today blah blah. Anything goes - give me a break (I dont even have a "security standard" but not that stupid) Witch hunting is what that is.

Im not pushing IE7pro but add-on does what it says - cant rule out Firefox is not to your liking and may be you reckon IE7 is best choice considering computer powers. In that case IE7pro is useful which is why I mentioned it. Have no share in program but also know of no reason to warn against it. Will of course uninstall it once evidence of hidden evil is available.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 03:08 PM by dk70 »