ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

"Files NOT Used" utility

(1/3) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
Does anyone know of an app that will keep track of the last time or many times an app was used and then rank them?

I am wanting to keep my hard drive as spartan as I can in an attempt to eliminate as many variables as possible from affecting my computer.

gjehle:
afaik norton clean sweep did something like that back in the days when i had it once installed.

but be aware that deleting files solely on the last access time is pretty unsafe ;-)

CodeTRUCKER:
Yes, I had CleanSweep too, at one point, but I think it went with my PC to the repair house and did not come back with it, at least that is my best guess.

As far as "last access," I am only intending on deleting files that are over a year old since I last accessed them, but your caution is well taken.

BigJim:
To each his/her own. But with disk space so inexpensive these days I don't see the point. Admittedly, I'm a pack rat. But I find that needing to reference a file (or email, for example) a year or more old is not uncommon.

Have fun!

cranioscopical:
I think I'd be inclined to move old files to a specific backup rather than just deleting them.  It doesn't happen often compared to regular file access, but I've certainly had the need to dig out fles that were untouched for a lot longer than 180 days.  Why not dump them to DVD along with path information?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version