topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Handy for quick notes?  (Read 3576 times)

Hefty Hippie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Handy for quick notes?
« on: May 15, 2007, 08:17 AM »
Hi to all, my first post here so please be gentle  ;)

I was sorting out some problems with an Opera install yesterday (plug-ins 'fighting') and, as part of the fault-finding process, ended up systematically taking certain files out of the equation by re-naming 'em.

When I'm doing things like this I tend to drop plain text notes in the relevant folders so, at a later date, it's easy to see what changes have been made.
The note taking procedure can be rather time-consuming where many different folders are involved so I got to wondering if there was an easier way of doing things.

I found this little gem earlier - FileNote http://www.moonsoftware.com/freeware.asp (scroll down a bit)

Description from the site -

"FileNote is a little shell extension that allows you to add textual descriptions to your files. It adds one command to the shell context menu of a file object. This command lets you easily edit or create a text file that has the same name as the initial file, but with the extension TXT.
For example, if you have a file, MyImage.jpg, you right-click on that file and choose the FileNote command from the context menu. A new text file called MyImage.txt is created and Notepad is opened to edit that text file. If a text file with that name already exists, it will be opened for viewing/editing."

It works a treat in XP, I hope you find it as useful as I do.

Cheers,

HH

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Handy for quick notes?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2007, 03:41 PM »
Welcome aboard!

Sounds like a nice little utility... I don't know if this will help you, or interest you or not but: Directory Opus keeps a list of 10 "undos" so if you're only renaming/moving files temporarily (like to make sure a program works real quick or something) it might be one more reason to get it.

Definitely not worth the registration price by itself, but something to consider if you were on the fence.

In case you didn't see it, here's a recent discussion about DO.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2007, 06:42 PM »
Hi to all, my first post here so please be gentle  ;)

It works a treat in XP, I hope you find it as useful as I do.

-Hefty Hippie (May 15, 2007, 08:17 AM)

Welcome to DC !

I like FileNote. Have installed it today and already used 10 times.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2007, 07:15 PM »
I like their little extension that lets you move things to other folders from the right click menu options, i find it works a lot better than the qttab , i think it was  :-\ , it seemed to slow up windows explorer start up considerably and it was going to take a while to get used to, which isnt really a good reason but its mine, i find this one intuitive so if you are on the lookout for something like it, you cant go wrong, its free and you can always delete it  :)

Hefty Hippie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2007, 06:05 AM »
Thanks chaps,

Hirudin,
Yep, I recently looked at DOpus and a ton of other Explorer replacements but pretty much gave it up as a bad job. DOpus (and a few of the others) are great apart from the fact that they don't work with two of my 'pet' tools, Hace MMM and ShellToysXP. I work a lot from mouse right click, I know there are often other (sometimes better) ways of doing things but it's just what I've got used to.
AB Commander and ExplorerXP came closest but neither are ideal.

Grorgy,
I'd spotted that one, it looks good and you certainly can't knock the price - I'd give it a go apart from the fact that ShellToysXP has a very similar feature.