ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Faststone Image Capture now Shareware

<< < (3/8) > >>

justice:
You can still download 5.3 from mirrors!

Brave move. It’s a good program for sure. Although I think it’s not fair to compare it to its previous freeware versions (but understandable), it is competing against itself!

Also I wonder behind the rationale not to make a seperate “pro” version and keep the current version free bugfixes / compatibility.

People don’t like things taken away from them unfortunately, the psychological effect of freeware -> shareware I would think is worse than release a “plus” version even though it’s basically the same thing.

Carol Haynes:
I don't even know what a Scree is, but I want to magnify one!
-cthorpe (May 14, 2007, 11:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here yah go...just click to magnify:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scree

;D :D :P
-app103 (May 15, 2007, 12:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

LOL - but that ain't scree by any definition I know - that is a a rockfall or boulder field. Scree is something you can run down in some sort of precarious control (but can't easily stop!)

You can still download 5.3 from mirrors!
-justice (May 15, 2007, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not any more - it has been pulled.

Interesting that only Capture is listed to buy on the website - the rest is still freeware.

justice:
It is working from the link in Cybernet news report if you want to, but actually I don't think I should link to it and respect the author's wish to go shareware -- they have removed the link from their own site.

Carol Haynes:
That's only because the author of the article has mirrored the file - which probably brakes all sorts of licensing rules. As far as I can tell FastStone always hosted their own files and didn't use mirrors precisely to keep control of what was available. Naive maybe but that was their intention apparently.

lanux128:
You can still download 5.3 from mirrors!-justice (May 15, 2007, 03:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
to paraphrase Nighted, just stick to Screenshot Captor. at least that way, you don't have to worry about get the last free versions.. :) but basically i believe in the author's right in designating the program's status - freeware or otherwise..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version