topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:20 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Mac Mini & Boot Camp alternatives?  (Read 5902 times)

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Mac Mini & Boot Camp alternatives?
« on: May 14, 2007, 01:50 AM »
Time for a new computer. I'm looking for something quiet and unobtrusive, mainly for writing, light programming and website maintenance, that I can easily shift from from room to room.

I'm very tempted by the Mac Mini because I have suitable peripherals already, including a nice 19" LCD. That means that to use some of my favourite software I'd need Boot Camp. Has anyone any experience with this, or can suggest suitable Mac writing software? (I think the bundled office suite is a trial).

Alternatively, Windows system boxes in the same price range?
If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2007, 03:27 AM by JennyB »

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
Re: Mac Mini & Boot Camp alternatives?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 06:03 AM »
Never used a Mini, but I'm using an Intel iMac for about 1 year now so maybe I can provide some feedback.
I use it mainly as a classic WinTel machine. With BootCamp (that really is just a partitioning utility + boot loader + a bunch of Win drivers + a nice installer), and setting the Win partition as the default bootup option, you'll forget you are using a Mac (if you need).
So, if you had some doubts about compatibility issues, or strange "quirks" about using the Mac as a PC, you can be sure there aren't any.

Bye!

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 12:59 PM »
Did you consider an HTPC system? You can buy one preassembled or a barebone if you plan to go DIY. Shuttle is a renowned maker, and for I can see they have good prices to boot.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 03:50 PM »
I have also thought about getting a Mac when I move to new hardware, but instead of using Boot Camp to run my Win32 stuff I was thinking of running Parallels Workstation or the VMware Mac offering (which is still in Beta).  I'm figuring that would give the best of both worlds concurrently (I hate rebooting). I don't know if a Mac Mini supports enough memory to effectively run a WinXP VM.  1GB would be a bare minimum, I'd feel more comfortable with 2GB.

I've run Parallels on Windows (Parallels Desktop), but not nearly as extensively as VMware.  That said, it ran my Win2K installation just fine - I was impressed;  I've heard good things about their Mac offering (though I have not tried it).

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 06:30 AM »
How well does Parallels support DirectX, though? (I'm thinking of running shader-intensive games).
- carpe noctem

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 12:03 PM »
It does not support it. The entry in the Wikipedia says that it will be supported in a future version, version 3 to be exact. That's for Parallels for Mac, not for Workstation, for this one it doesn't mention nothing. Now, you got to figure out what to do with Wikipedia information... >:D

Mark0

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2007, 11:45 AM »
Just read now on OSNews.com that it seems that Paralles 3.0 will support GPU virtualization.

http://apcmag.com/62...3_0_3d_gpu_emulation

Bye!

JennyB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Test all things - hold fast to what is good
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Decisions, decisions!   :(

I can get a pretty well-specced minitower locally for the same price as the Mac Mini, but I'm still tempted by the Mac Mini and OSX for everyday use. At least it will be quieter than the old tractor I have now.  :P

I've found a very useful and informative forum at http://www.123macmini.com/

If you don't see how it can fail -
you haven't understood it properly.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 01:29 PM »
I just read on Lifehacker (http://lifehacker.co...-your-mac-267905.php) that Parallels can virtualize a Bootcamp partition.

So, you can set up Windows as a dual-boot system on an Intel Mac and run your resource intensive Windows stuff (read: games) natively  and when you're running from the OS X install you can still access & run your Windows stuff seamlessly.

Nice!