ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

What's the best Journal (Diary) software?

<< < (3/12) > >>

Armando:
I use "The Journal" available at http://www.davidrm.com/thejournal/.  Definitely worth a look - they have a full-featured 45 day trial you can download.

I was looking for such a program for quite a while but was really limiting myself by requiring that the application have both a desktop PC and Pocket PC version available. But I finally gave up on that and started looking for simply the best PC journal software I could find - and The Journal fit the bill.  Excellent developer support with a very active Yahoo group (though I don't really like Yahoo groups!). This one gives me all that I need, plus has a lot of additional features that I am not presently using, but I hope to use someday.

It's not inexpensive, but it satisfies all of my requirements, and has some extras that are really great.

Oops - I just noticed that superboyac did mention this software in his initial post -- and he is correct in that this application is not really interactive with other applications, though you can link a number of other document types to it, as well as embed them in your journal pages.
-J-Mac (May 20, 2007, 02:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

I checked the features and compared them to EverNote. Interesting to see that the <b>free</b> version of EverNote seems to give the user almost <b>all</b> the same features. Doesn't it?

Some aspects of EverNote (like the searching capability, the tagging system, the Multiple Note Formats, The universal clipper, the support for various pen devices, etc.)actually seem even more powerful. But I'll see after trying The Journal.

Right now, I actually use EverNote in conjunction with a Word Document -- as I suggested before. But I guess I fcould rely exclusively on since it's got probably most of the features one might want for a journal (like : very very easy to see everything <b>chronologically AND sorted through the different categories</b>).

I guess I just love EverNote.  :)
Simple, free, yet very powerful.

rjbull:
There's a free add-on program for Treepad Lite, that makes a file with a node ready-named with the date for each day of a year.

J-Mac:
Well, using that logic, I guess you could make the claim that you could use Evernote in place of Word, Notepad, or really any application that is note/text editing related. But I think that most do not wish to do so, or the other journal/text editing/note-taking programs would be out of business!   :-\

The features that many look for are one's more specific to their needs, rather than taking generic applications and force-fitting them to do all.

Just my opinion.

I checked the features and compared them to EverNote. Interesting to see that the <b>free</b> version of EverNote seems to give the user almost <b>all</b> the same features. Doesn't it?

Some aspects of EverNote (like the searching capability, the tagging system, the Multiple Note Formats, The universal clipper, the support for various pen devices, etc.)actually seem even more powerful. But I'll see after trying The Journal.

Right now, I actually use EverNote in conjunction with a Word Document -- as I suggested before. But I guess I fcould rely exclusively on since it's got probably most of the features one might want for a journal (like : very very easy to see everything <b>chronologically AND sorted through the different categories</b>).

I guess I just love EverNote.  :)
-Armando (May 20, 2007, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Armando:
Well, using that logic, I guess you could make the claim that you could use Evernote in place of Word, Notepad, or really any application that is note/text editing related. But I think that most do not wish to do so, or the other journal/text editing/note-taking programs would be out of business!   :-\

The features that many look for are one's more specific to their needs, rather than taking generic applications and force-fitting them to do all.

Just my opinion.

-J-Mac (May 20, 2007, 04:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree (at least... partly) with you.

But I'm not really comparing EverNote or The journal to MS word (even though I might have given that impression earlier).
And I'm comparing EverNote to the Journal because it actually does everything I want for a Journal.

Like said earlier, I like the fact that my text can be indexed with the Desktop Search software I use. This is the main reason why I brought MS Word in the picture (put it could be OpenOffice, or WordPad, or Even OneNote : if it's indexable...).

Also, too many apps for different, yet not that different, tasks, makes my life much more complicated: different formats, data scattered in different places, etc. Using the GTD approach, I try to centralize the way I gather data as  much as  I can.

But I can see why one would do that, and I totally respect that. I'm just too absent minded -- which is not very convenient when you're trying to write a thesis (don't worry, I'm not writing it in English!).

Darwin:
Armando wrote:
I guess I just love EverNote. 
--- End quote ---

and:
Also, too many apps for different, yet not that different, tasks, makes my life much more complicated
--- End quote ---

Here, here on both points quoted. I love Evernote as well. It's one of those apps that I barely think about anymore, and I see that as a good thing because it means that it fits so seamlessly into my Windows/Office installations and workflow that I don't notice that it's there. Every so often I go looking for something and am blown away at how easy it is...

WRT the second point about needless duplication: I am a software addict. I have five applications for every task that you can imagine. My brain tells me that this is counter-productive (and every once in a blue moon this leads me to uninstall on the order of 100 applications) but my heart yearns for choice and variety (and leads me to gradually re-install the bulk of those apps over time, along with "new finds")! We need a 12 step programme:

My name is Mike and I am a software addict.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version