ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Ask Leo: How do I fix this high CPU usage svchost virus or whatever it is?

<< < (2/2)

Darwin:
According the latest Windows Secrets newsletter (paid version) there is a viable interim fix available with a solution being promised in the near future. The fix allows you to use Microsoft Update (instead of the older verions, Windows Update).

The interim fix involves applying two patches, in order:

First download and install the fix from KB 927891.

Second download and install this update to the Windows Update Client.

Apparently, even if you don't use, or plan to use, Windows Auto-update feature, you need this new engine to run Microsoft Update.

I haven't tried this as I am perfectly happy using Carol's fix (reverted to Windows Update and using Office Update to update my Office 2003 installation). I don't have auto-update enabled so this really doesn't bother me.

cthorpe:
According the latest Windows Secrets newsletter (paid version) there is a viable interim fix available with a solution being promised in the near future. The fix allows you to use Microsoft Update (instead of the older verions, Windows Update).

The interim fix involves applying two patches, in order:

First download and install the fix from KB 927891.

Second download and install this update to the Windows Update Client.

Apparently, even if you don't use, or plan to use, Windows Auto-update feature, you need this new engine to run Microsoft Update.

I haven't tried this as I am perfectly happy using Carol's fix (reverted to Windows Update and using Office Update to update my Office 2003 installation). I don't have auto-update enabled so this really doesn't bother me.

-Darwin (May 13, 2007, 10:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

I tried the Windows Secret's fix, and it didn't help me.  I left my PC on the Microsoft Update page for at least half an hour and it was still at 100% cpu and trying to detect needed updates.

Carl

Darwin:
That's too bad. As I said, I haven't bothered to try it (maybe I should have before I posted it  :-[)!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version