topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:22 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Ask Leo: How do I fix this high CPU usage svchost virus or whatever it is?  (Read 13637 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member

After I log in my system slows to a crawl. Looking at task manager I see that my computer is experiencing high CPU usage. Looking more closely I see it's something called "svchost" is taking 100% of my CPU time. If I kill the process suddenly other things stop working. Is svchost a virus? How do I fix this svchost problem?

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Eh? We already dealt with this issue - just revert from "Microsoft Update" to "Windows Update". Unfortunately can't find the thread now.

Not sure but I'm sure I read recently that MS have now fixed this bug in MS Update.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
last thing i heard they have a patch but you have to contact them to get it, it's not a big priority for ms (?!?!?!?). IN the meantime they recommend people to update to MS Update everytime on the WU site. how disappointing

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hmm.. this gives me an idea for an old problem of mine.. CPU Usage shoots up to 100% !?! :Thmbsup:

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
Thanx for that.  I think that will solve the problem someone asked me last week.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
According the latest Windows Secrets newsletter (paid version) there is a viable interim fix available with a solution being promised in the near future. The fix allows you to use Microsoft Update (instead of the older verions, Windows Update).

The interim fix involves applying two patches, in order:

First download and install the fix from KB 927891.

Second download and install this update to the Windows Update Client.

Apparently, even if you don't use, or plan to use, Windows Auto-update feature, you need this new engine to run Microsoft Update.

I haven't tried this as I am perfectly happy using Carol's fix (reverted to Windows Update and using Office Update to update my Office 2003 installation). I don't have auto-update enabled so this really doesn't bother me.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
According the latest Windows Secrets newsletter (paid version) there is a viable interim fix available with a solution being promised in the near future. The fix allows you to use Microsoft Update (instead of the older verions, Windows Update).

The interim fix involves applying two patches, in order:

First download and install the fix from KB 927891.

Second download and install this update to the Windows Update Client.

Apparently, even if you don't use, or plan to use, Windows Auto-update feature, you need this new engine to run Microsoft Update.

I haven't tried this as I am perfectly happy using Carol's fix (reverted to Windows Update and using Office Update to update my Office 2003 installation). I don't have auto-update enabled so this really doesn't bother me.

I tried the Windows Secret's fix, and it didn't help me.  I left my PC on the Microsoft Update page for at least half an hour and it was still at 100% cpu and trying to detect needed updates.

Carl

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
That's too bad. As I said, I haven't bothered to try it (maybe I should have before I posted it  :-[)!