topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Soda can / bottle cooler  (Read 6670 times)

Plastkort

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Soda can / bottle cooler
« on: May 12, 2007, 08:07 AM »
Hi!

Today I found out that someone forgot to put the soda in the fridge to cool it down, I searched the net for various solutions, and found one that worked, which was about water, ice bricks and salt... stir it all together and put the soda can/bottle down there.. and stir again...

so I wonder if there is a way to create a device where you have some sort of engine/pump or whatever to do this job for you, just use recyclable icecubes which can be refreezed, and just adding water and salt..

video
http://www.metacafe....a_coke_in_2_minutes/
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 08:17 AM by Plastkort »

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Soda can / bottle cooler
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 08:47 AM »
All ice cubes are recylable! :P (until you add that salt)

I use this all the time. Last week I wanted to chill a beer quickly so I put it in a bowl of ice and water, poured in salt and stirred it up. Ice cold beer in less than 5 minutes! Salt melts the ice sucking up heat to do so. Same technique as a hand cranked ice cream maker.

Plastkort

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 08:51 AM »
cool, But I want to create some sort of machine to do this, with some electricity and stuff.. it has to work :)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 01:32 PM »
You could just get something like this:

usb_cooler.jpg
http://www.thinkgeek...ets/electronic/7f5a/

edbro

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 04:30 PM »
Another neat and related trick is a quick way to cool a bottle of wine. Wrap it in newspaper and soak the newspaper with water. Put the bottle on the outside of your car windshield in the wiper gutter and drive about 2 miles. The water evaporating from the newspaper will pull heat from the bottle and chill it very quickly.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Another neat and related trick is a quick way to cool a bottle of wine. Wrap it in newspaper and soak the newspaper with water. Put the bottle on the outside of your car windshield in the wiper gutter and drive about 2 miles. The water evaporating from the newspaper will pull heat from the bottle and chill it very quickly.

Notice that you should grab do this to several bottles of wine at once, since you shouldn't repeat the trick after you've drunk the first bottle :]
- carpe noctem

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 01:11 PM »

Notice that you should grab do this to several bottles of wine at once, since you shouldn't repeat the trick after you've drunk the first bottle :]

lol, yeah, that is something to do in large amounts, we don't want to go drunk driving.
[Insert really cool signature here]

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 01:37 PM »
Mythbusters looked into various ways to cool a six pack a while back . . . what a great job. Not the first or last time they were paid to sample alcohol in the name of science :D