topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:40 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Acronis Saves the Day  (Read 9636 times)

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Acronis Saves the Day
« on: July 17, 2011, 07:13 AM »
So, I'm doing an interview. 3 people. We're all recording our own audio.

Thank you Nvidia! Poof! BSOD!

I just about could have cried...

I get back on Skype, and Nico ever so sensitively says, "I'd be really embarrassed if that happened to me!" Jeez! Thanks! Care to pour some iodine in the wound after rubbing in the salt? :P Hahahaha~! But it was very embarrassing... :(

Long & short, I was able to pull out a backup from the Acronis non-stop backup. Phew~! Lost some of the audio, but I at least got the lion's share.

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Acronis Saves the Day
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 10:19 AM »
 :up:

It's good to hear that somehow is having a much better experience with Acronis than I have had. In the end I got so disappointed that I uninstalled my licensed Acronis TrueImage2010.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:31 AM »
I had three licenses for Acronis Backup and Recovery 10 Workstation and have uninstalled them - got really fed up with the bloat and the constant unfixed bugs and irritations. Their corporate TrueImage was very good but B&R10 is just a constant bugfest and has been ever since it was released. I gave them the benefit of the doubt for a long time but now I had dropped them and won't be going back.

FWIW I have also had their Partition Manager hose my system on a number of occasions.

For imaging I now use Windows Backup (in Windows 7) and/or Paragon software which seems to work pretty well. I also use Paragon Partition Manager too.

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:50 AM »
FWIW I have also had their Partition Manager hose my system on a number of occasions.
-Carol Haynes (July 17, 2011, 10:31 AM)

10 points for not giving up!  :P

I've had that happen to me too.  :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 11:57 AM »
+1 w/above. I liked Acronis up until v9.0 - with the 8.x series being my favorite.

After that there was too much bloat and anomalies to contend with. But until then, TrueImage was a lifesaver on more than a dozen machines and occasions.  :up:

Maybe they'll get it back to what it once was. Hope springs eternal! :)

Either way, glad it worked out well for you. That's the only thing that really matters.  :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 02:14 PM »
Long & short, I was able to pull out a backup from the Acronis non-stop backup.

how that work?
I see from their features page:
> Note: requires working hard disk drive

Not quite sure what they mean be that  :-\  seeing as that's a basic requirement of all software. Maybe they mean a second HD?
Sounds good anyway, especially if it works...
Tom

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 08:00 AM »
-Carol Haynes (July 17, 2011, 10:31 AM)

10 points for not giving up!  :P

I've had that happen to me too.  :)

I have hosed my system with partitioning tools a few times - different brands, hasty action.
Although nothing like what partition magic did, and to me, a user of pre version 1... some pieces of software have no loyalty :(

Acronis started going wrong when they totally split the home and entreprise products. I had pro, was shafted onto home, which lacked the feature I had paid pro for (reinstall on different hardware, which seems more likely a scenario in a home than corporate setting, imo, but they didnt see it that way)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 09:33 AM »
I never bothered much with PartitionMagic or other commercial partitioning products once I discovered gparted.

It's true the Win-specific utilities often do more on the Windows platform than gparted does. But I don't need those features so gparted (best when bundled with the FOSS Parted Magic OS suite) serves me quite well. PartedMagic OS also provides support for Linux partitioning and formatting - and Windows file rescue efforts - which is what I use it most for.

In general, once Windows goes south, I try to get the drive mounted under Linux and attempt repairs/recovery from there.

I've got shelves full of Windows tech tools and rescue disks. And I know how and when to use them. But I've often found trying to work on a clobbered Windows drive using anything that's Windows-based only compounds the problem if the drive is seriously "pooched." But maybe I'm just unlucky that way.  ;D Your mileage will likely vary from mine.

Be sure to check out Parted Magic OS. Cool tools! Highly recommended.  8)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 09:54 AM by 40hz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 07:29 AM »
Nice to know, thanks. 
.merle1.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 12:52 PM »
I've got shelves full of Windows tech tools and rescue disks. And I know how and when to use them. But I've often found trying to work on a clobbered Windows drive using anything that's Windows-based only compounds the problem if the drive is seriously "pooched." But maybe I'm just unlucky that way.  ;D Your mileage will likely vary from mine.
If you work with the wrong tools, you'll definitely do more damage than you'll fix... anything that requires you mounting the partition read/write means instant fail rewards.

I've had moderate success with as simple an approach as just mounting a semi-hosed partition readonly from linux and salvaging files... but when partitions have gone bad enough that I need to rescue things from them, the best I've bumped into so far is the (Windows) program GetDataBack for NTFS from Runtime systems... but obviously you don't assign a drive letter to the bad partition when doing that, and you salvage to a separate physical disk.
- carpe noctem

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 02:11 PM »
the best I've bumped into so far is the (Windows) program GetDataBack for NTFS from Runtime systems

Agree 100%. :Thmbsup:

GetDataBack is probably the best money you'll ever spend when a Linux mount-r and copy rescue attempt doesn't fly. One of my favorite utilities for data recovery. Their DiskExplorer is also an excellent tool should you ever be unfortunate enough to need it.

(Note: Link here for GetDataBack if anybody's interested.)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 02:15 PM by 40hz »

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 03:48 AM »
+1 for GetDataBack as well, it saved my photo collection from a broken external HDD a while back.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 08:13 AM »
I guess I will not upgrade to version 2012
- because $ 47,98 PER YEAR is too much, I think -
but it is available now:

2011-08-23_151002.gif
2011-08-23_150902.gif

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 12:07 PM »
It's good to hear that somehow is having a much better experience with Acronis than I have had. In the end I got so disappointed that I uninstalled my licensed Acronis TrueImage2010.

Maybe my problems with Acronis were caused by my keyboard?
-today Acronis-worker Roman Rtichshev wrote on Bits du Jour:

"Non-US keyboards as support for different languages in the bootable media?"
We do not have this option at the moment I am afraid.
-Acronis on BdJ

Today's offer is for the English version only, so he might just have been talking about that version, (I know they have a German version as well), but I am afraid Aconis in general is having problems with Unicode etcetera - or maybe I installed an English-only version without knowing? It would explain my disappointing experience.

--------
Talking about today's offer on BdJ (Wednesday 25 April): the correct normal price is $50 for True Image, and then $30 for the plus pack, not $80 for True Image.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 12:16 PM »
I've always had good luck with Acronis, and it is blazingly fast at backup.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2012, 04:09 AM »
Just grabbed the BDJ offer! $19.99 for version 2012 + Add On Pack.... :Thmbsup: