topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Looking for: ToDo List plus Calendar plus Countdown Timer  (Read 27269 times)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I'm interested in some software that mixes elements from a calendar, a todo list, and a countdown timer. Here are the features I'm looking for:

• Calendar view.
  • Option for recurring tasks.
  • Show countdown timer on desktop for next "todo" item. This would be great if it had the options to display more than one todo item at a time and be always on top of other applications, with options to adjust font, size, color, transparency.
  • Easy way to check the task as done.

Does anyone know of anything that does this?

jbunch

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Looking for: ToDo List plus Calendar plus Countdown Timer
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 07:38 PM »
I've been looking for something similar off and on for years.  See my second discussion comment on my own post to Askville.com http://askville.amaz...equestId=1760063#top (it's all about me ;)).  I don't have the countdown timer, but it would fit well.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 01:17 AM »
jbunch,
I hope you don't mind
I thought your comments/ideas were worth quoting here

I've been looking for something similar off and on for years.  See my second discussion comment on my own post to Askville.com http://askville.amaz...equestId=1760063#top (it's all about me ;)).  I don't have the countdown timer, but it would fit well.

Quote from: jbunch -
Having had time to sleep on it, here's my vision of how it should work (or how I should work). Two panels, on the left is the editable list of tasks, on the right is an Outlook-style schedule of today and maybe the next business day. You drag the tasks that you hope to accomplish from the left to the schedule in the order you hope to perform them. If you think a task deserves more time, you can drag it larger. You can insert "reward" tasks (15 minutes of a game, surfing, etc.) and/or expansion time where appropriate.

When the first task of the day is scheduled to start (hopefully right away), you are prompted to start the timer for that task and add any notes that might help you remember what you meant to do. Shortly before that task is scheduled to end you are prompted to wrap it up (to send a status email, for example). When time is up, you are prompted again to add any notes for that task and also to start the timer for the next task. It will also have a "finished" checkbox so you can take items off the to-do list.

If you need more time, of course, you can snooze it. If the next task is reward/expansion time, you can skip it and the next task for the day is brought forward. There should also be a "stack". If scheduled yourself to call a customer and end up leaving a voice mail, you can "push" the task (let's call it A). This will bring forward the next task for the day (let's call it B). If the person calls you back during task B, A can be "popped" back and the B task goes back to being the "next one". All this time one timer or the other is running. If task B has used up its planned duration before you get the return call for A, task C is brought forward, etc.

The expansion time is there because there is always some unplanned activity that pops up in the middle of the day. Should you get lucky and not have that emergency, there should be a separate to-do list that is for things that have no deadline but you need to be reminded of anyway (clean the desk, etc.) that you can pick from.

Should you exhaust your list of tasks lined up for the day, you should be prompted with the whole two-pane list and schedule so you can either drag items from the next day, or pick a new task from the main list.

Reading this back, I sincerely doubt there is an app like this, but would appreciate a pointer in a close direction. Chances are good that I might end up writing this myself. Or submitting a request to DonationCoder. Thanks again.
Tom
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 01:20 AM by tomos »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 02:58 AM »
I have Office 2007 but I can't seem to find the Project 2007 they mention. Come to think of it, looks like I didn't install Outlook 2007 either. . .

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 03:36 AM »
http://office.micros...project/default.aspx

I think it's the one that's aimed at business and aka as "Project Manager" ?
Seems to be shown as part of office at that link above ..
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 03:39 AM »
I installed Outlook for the Calendar/Task options and I found a Vista sidebar gadget that lists Outlook e-mail, calendar items, and task items. I also found a countdown timer but it isn't nearly as customizable as I want and doesn't automatically get info from Outlook or anywhere else.

It's a start, but I'd really like an integrated countdown timer, too.

I wonder if it would be hard to alter the Outlook Sidebar Gadget. . .

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 06:37 AM by cmpm »

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 04:49 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses.

I've decided to go with Outlook Calendar and the Vista Sidebar Gadget called Outlook Info. Seems the quickest and easiest way thus far. I've customized it so that it only shows calendar information and am in the process of building a countdown into it. It already is able to show the date/time when the calendar task is due, so implementing a countdown shouldn't be too difficult.

Although, if someone knows vbs and javascript I could certainly use the help. This thing doesn't make much sense to me, and I have to set default values for options in three or more places, it seems.

I've managed to get many of the settings to show up properly, all that's left is to actually build the countdown timer function into it, which will require a bit more of an investment of time and effort for me.

jdd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 06:59 PM »
Deozaan, I use the Outlook calendar along with Remind-Me http://www.beiley.co.../remind-me/desc.html.  It's not free but it does all or most of everything that you mentioned, and it automatically syncs with Outlook (separate option must be purchased).  You can use it for alarms, events and recurring items which can send an email notification and or pop-up or alert.  If you get a a meeting 'invitation' in Outlook it will automatically be added to the Remind-Me calendar, if you bought the sync option.  I find it useful as a quick reference rather than depending on all the bloated stuff in Outlook.

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2007, 08:13 AM »
also woth considering is Rainlendar (the lite is free) http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php

And Calendarscope (not free but been using it for years) http://www.dualitysoft.com/index.html  can track events and tasks
You would probably want the free DSCLOCK which interfaces nicely to show upcoming events.
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX

aruvam

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2007, 01:00 PM »
You could also checkout WinWorkBar at http://vetch.magot.pl/

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2007, 12:48 AM »
Calimanjaro looks interesting.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

brett

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Australia
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 07:01 AM »
Hi Nighted

Calimanjaro does look interesting, and somewhat familiar, in fact it looks exactly like Yagoon   http://www.yagoon.com/index.htm

And here is the rub, neither look like they are currently being developed. Both just sit there collecting license money which is a real shame because once you get use to the views, its magnificent.

but..
There are a couple of bugs that need attention. ie. in multiday view, some events do not show up in the far right column if they start after 1200
so in a simple two day view, you really only get 1.5 days.

the versions are different, and I will try Calimanjaro just to see the differences.

I will email Calimanjaro, as I had no luck contacting Yagoon

Interestingly
Release Notes
March 18, 2007
Calimanjaro 1.1.3 has been released.

March 14, 2006
Yagoon Time 2.3 has been released.

The ical function is great though, and I wish more calendar applications utilized this.

Brett

Edit* Yagoon (time.exe) is very heavy on memory, considering it sits in the tray all day, this can be a burden.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2007, 07:09 AM by brett »

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2007, 09:18 PM »
Brett...strange, that's a bit fishy for sure. Would be interesting if you post back anything you find out. Maybe the software found a new developer?
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

kartal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 03:27 PM »
try Todolist. It does not have a real calendar but very nice feature set.

http://www.codeproje...tions/todolist2.aspx

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 05:31 PM »
Calimanjaro does look interesting, and somewhat familiar, in fact it looks exactly like Yagoon   http://www.yagoon.com/index.htm

Brett...strange, that's a bit fishy for sure. Would be interesting if you post back anything you find out. Maybe the software found a new developer?

I did not notice this thread until kartal revived it. However, Calimanjaro is simply the slightly revised version of Yagoon Time (same developer - Reine Säljö) with its roots in the RScience TimeCalendar project; don't know why he changed the name and url. I had a license for Yagoon Time, which was then updated to Calimanjaro. Nicer website I think.

I don't find it that expensive on memory. The really great thing about it is the planner view - up to 2 years with lots of choices over the exact length. iCal import/export is helpful. The To Do List element is fairly primitive though. No longer seems to be in development though.

crono

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 03:51 PM »
Calimanjaro looks interesting.
Just wanna say "Thanks" for this link - I never came across this tool before. In my opinion it is maybe the best Calendar Software on Windows - I totally love it  :Thmbsup: :-*

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 04:38 PM »
ToDoList 5.4 is free and the source is available as well. I think it has most of what you want in there. It works with multiple users too.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 05:39 PM »
There are a couple of bugs that need attention. ie. in multiday view, some events do not show up in the far right column if they start after 1200 so in a simple two day view, you really only get 1.5 days

This isn't a problem I've noticed in Calimanjaro.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 11:38 AM »
how about Swift To-Do List which has a 40% discount until March 1st, 2008.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 04:08 PM »
40% discount until March 1st, 2008.

It's March 18th today  :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 08:22 PM »

oops, my bad! :-[ also it seems that the program does not have a calendar view as per original request.

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 12:52 PM »

oops, my bad! :-[ also it seems that the program does not have a calendar view as per original request.

But 46% saving coming up on Bitsdujour on 26th March. $18.95. If it is worth it.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 03:51 PM »
But 46% saving coming up on Bitsdujour on 26th March. $18.95. If it is worth it.

I know a couple of people (LaughingLizard, I know there was someone else..) here have said they like it a lot (Swift To-Do List)
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 10:06 PM »
Well I settled on Active Desktop Caldendar for Windows XP. It doesn't seem to have the countdown timer but it has the calender and todo list and stuff.

It's pretty good and I'm happy with it.