topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:52 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Malware protection (a-v, firewall) for Linux Ubuntu  (Read 14576 times)

kurtzern

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Malware protection (a-v, firewall) for Linux Ubuntu
« on: May 11, 2007, 07:22 AM »
With Ubuntu installed and successfully humming on my backup machine, which has a cable connection via LinkSys router, I feel a need for anti-virus protection, etc.  I use Kaspersky on my main machine.  I had used the U. of Michigan's free McAfee on the old machine, but they no longer support or make available that program for what used to be a Win98 machine.  Are there any freeware or shareware programs available and suggested for use with Linux?
Thanks! -- and thanks again for the very helpful responses to my cd burning query.
kurtzern

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Malware protection (a-v, firewall) for Linux Ubuntu
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 09:50 AM »
During my quest for similar things, I kept running across the answer "Linux doesn't need one, but if you want one..."  I think this is ridiculous, but the only one that consistently was suggested after that statement was ClamAV.  Apparently this is the only broadly used Linux AV that is actively being developed.  There is also a Windows version, but I believe it rates VERY poorly.  Just to busy reading other posts to look that up right now though.  Hope this helps someone. ;)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 11:39 AM »
well, now there's a "proof-of-concept" worm that infects multi-platform OpenOffice..

ws-openoffice-worm-1.png
http://www.techspot....worm-discovered.html

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 06:53 PM »
I use Nod32 (http://www.nod32usa.com/). On their website, one of the products listed is an AV program for Linux file servers. You can try that.

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Firewall, DHCPd, DNS, sugar fo Ubuntu
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 11:35 AM »
Behold the words of the ubuntu fanboi!

ubuntulogo.png

As for firewall, I can recommend and do support ipmasq. Although it doesn't have a gui like other packages, it also stays out of your way and sets up a tight firewall. I have used this package for many years; I also tried out other firewall packages but always came back to ipmasq.  :Thmbsup:

And while I am going on about -masq, let me tell you about dnsmasq, which is a simple and very reliable dhcp server and caching dns server.   8)

To make the sugar even sweeter (and I cannot resist doing so), I have to direct your attention to yet another package, this time it's a little helper tool called resolvconf. resolvconf makes ipmasq and dnsmasq work nicely together; it's the grease between these two 1338 packages.  :P

Now, I admit, 3 packages at once might be a little difficult, but: they work so nicely together it definitely is worth the effort of getting to know them. Also, I am willing to help you setting them up (this is an easy promise, they don't need much setting up ;) )