topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: How do you spend your time on the computer?  (Read 36621 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: How do you spend your time on the computer?
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2007, 11:41 AM »
Hi Armamdo,

Ah! La Belle Province! I'm from the other side of Canada from you - Vancouver Island, BC, where I'm working on a PhD on the evolutionary ecology and morphology of the Neanderthals... I got fed up of English universities so moved home to write up. Not necessarily the smartest thing that I've ever done (another act of lunacy was signing up for a PhD in the first place!).

I'm thinking of taking a looooong break for the summer.

Be careful about that... my long break has graduated from months to years and it's REALLY hard to get the momentum back.

Good luck with the PhD - we should form a support group to encourage the student citizenry of Codyland to spend some portion of their days working on their assignments and projects. Anyway, in case you haven't done so already, why not become (yet another) statistic and add yourself to the "PhD" group on this poll?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 06:03 PM by Darwin »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2007, 11:45 AM »
We're in good company, too, and we can look for inspiration to at least two people at donationcoder who have actually finished their PhD's - Zaine and Ken. Obviously, they've managed to balance a love for computers with their academic workloads, so it can be done!
Well, I have finished my PhD, but that doesn't mean that I have a good balance between my academic life and other activities (love for computers being one of them). If fact, I'd say that very few people achieve that balance, and it gets worse the more responsibility you have/older you get. If you don't believe me, just peruse threads in this forum:

http://chronicle.com....php/board,33.0.html

:o

Thanks for the link, urlwolf. I'm more interested in academic productivity though! Speaking of which... Time to balance my chequebook so that I can get on with some PhD-type work (drinking coffee, staring out the window, mentally spending $1 million, designing and test flying the perfect paper aeroplane, etc.).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2007, 05:48 PM »
BTW, I personally think that mouser should be given a PhD for coming up with, executing, and maintaining Donationcoder. I say we get a petition together and see if we can't get the University of Illinois to do just that. All those in favour say "aye"!

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: May 09, 2007, 06:01 PM »
AYE!

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2007, 10:20 AM »
It would have to be an honorary degree. But hey, the whole topic makes for a killer dissertation:
THE EFFECT OF DONATIONS IN A SOCIAL PROGRAMMING ENVIRONMENT
by
Mouser J. (Jethro) Tuckleberry*

* That is your real name, right?  ;D