ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Archive Tool

Re: New Review (09/05/05) - Best Archive Tool

<< < (8/10) > >>

Sentinel:
I use rar.exe extensively and can second that RAR has excellent command-line support and even has a few features that the GUI version doesn't.  For example, the rather useful 'L' command for creating listings of archives.

Sentinel:
Just a quick note on using UPX as a precompressor -- it is not a reversible operation, and as such would not be lossless compression.
-Jibz (September 07, 2005, 03:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

UPX in theory should be reversable (giving exactly the same pre-compression binary after using -d to decompress it) as it is one of the few exe compressors which stores a copy of the exe's original relocation table etc.  Of course, although files can often be decompressed back into the same exe, if they are left compressed after unzipping the archive (I'm not entirely sure of how ZipGenius works having never used it) there is a chance the will not work when run in a compressed form.

Here is an example of UPX decompressing properly: -

D:\TEST>copy buildwiz.exe before.exe
D:\TEST\buildwiz.exe => D:\TEST\before.exe
     1 file copied                                                             

D:\TEST>upx --best buildwiz.exe
                     Ultimate Packer for eXecutables
         Copyright (C) 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002               
UPX 1.24w        Markus F.X.J. Oberhumer & Laszlo Molnar         Nov 7th 2002

File size         Ratio      Format      Name
   --------------------   ------   -----------   -----------
    462848 ->    126976   27.43%    win32/pe     buildwiz.exe

Packed 1 file.

D:\TEST>upx -d buildwiz.exe

462848 <-    126976   27.43%    win32/pe     buildwiz.exe

Unpacked 1 file.

D:\TEST>md5sum *.exe
b385e22beec3e37250b8ccf7d86e916c *before.exe
b385e22beec3e37250b8ccf7d86e916c *buildwiz.exe

That being said, there is no guarentee that the file will decompress accurately back to the original as UPX works on processing information within the exe (Jibz could tell us a lot more on this) rather than an archiver which will just treat the exe as a raw data file.  From experience it seems that generally only older/simpler exe files decompress back correctly as UPX does seem to mangle, or at least misunderstand, the headers of many newer exes.  This is probably due to it not having been updated in many years (except some dodgy Alphas) so has problems with some of the tweaked formats generated by newer compilers such as Visual Studio 2003 onwards and may even refuse to compress them in some cases unless you force it to.  Here is an example of UPX mangling a newer exe: -

D:\TEST>copy Tsizepro.exe before.exe
D:\TEST\Tsizepro.exe => D:\TEST\before.exe
     1 file copied                                                             

D:\TEST>upx --best Tsizepro.exe

2338816 ->    841216   35.96%    win32/pe     Tsizepro.exe

Packed 1 file.

D:\TEST>upx -d Tsizepro.exe

2338816 <-    841216   35.96%    win32/pe     Tsizepro.exe

Unpacked 1 file.

fdb6a21d4bf28ac48386e39b231ae6d9 *before.exe
e416ee063fd5f278a1b9391fae658b40 *Tsizepro.exe

I wouldn't risk using this ZipGenius compression option personally, it seems to be a poor kludge to work around compression limitations in the Zip format, and I doubt it gives much real world compression gain as well as potentially mangling some of your executables.  If you are going to make a non-standard format archive (Matteo said they were non-portable) the programmer might as well use a better compression algorithm such as LZMA and not mess around with risking user's executables.

zridling:
Oddly (good?) ZipGenius offers you the option of not compressing executables before initiating compression. But it made no difference on my test file.

RJ, I nominate you and Jibz to write the joint Best Command Line Compression Tool review.  ;)

rjbull:
RJ, I nominate you and Jibz to write the joint Best Command Line Compression Tool review.  ;)
-zridling (September 07, 2005, 06:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

I couldn't possibly approach the quality of your review   :-[  Besides, I'm busy in other parts of the wood...

Matteo:

fdb6a21d4bf28ac48386e39b231ae6d9 *before.exe
e416ee063fd5f278a1b9391fae658b40 *Tsizepro.exe

I wouldn't risk using this ZipGenius compression option personally, it seems to be a poor kludge to work around compression limitations in the Zip format, and I doubt it gives much real world compression gain as well as potentially mangling some of your executables.  If you are going to make a non-standard format archive (Matteo said they were non-portable) the programmer might as well use a better compression algorithm such as LZMA and not mess around with risking user's executables.

-Sentinel (September 07, 2005, 04:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Good to hear this. Can you send an executable file compiled with Visual Studio 2003 to zipgenius (AT ) gmail.com? I tested UPX a lot before adding it to ZG 6 and - yes - I did that to open new ways to ZIP compression format. It is true that ZIP format is now almost obsolete, but it is still widely used and this forced me to offer a portable alternative WinZip's enhanced deflate. While WZ-made zip files are not portable to other utilities, ZIP archives with UPX-compressed executable are: you can open them in other utilities because the ZIP algorhythm is always the standard one and not a modified version as WinZip's implementation.
Anyway, all suggestions are well accepted  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version