ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Best Archive Tool

Re: New Review (09/05/05) - Best Archive Tool

(1/10) > >>

JeffK:
mouser, other than Zaine who were the main contributors to this review.

Jeff

Carol Haynes:
Thanks Zaine,

My only comment is on StuffIt. You say it has good MS Office support. I haven't used the latest version but in the last three versions they have had MS Office support and it has at best been flaky.

It looks good on the surface but in each of the three previous versions I disabled it after giving it a go as it caused so many headaches in Office - particularly other macros.

The only reason I used it was because I needed SIT file support, but I won't be upgrading from now on (and probably won't bother installing it in the future as the need for SIT support these days is marginal).

WinZip have lost one customer. I have had WinZip installed for the last 5 years but I won't be upgrading again!

WinRAR is definitely the way to go for me - and it isn't just that lifetime free upgrades (er ... didn't WinZip promise that when you registered), but is is a lot slicker and comes as a complete set of tools.

mouser:
jibz and i helped with the most minor of editing and proofreading, but really this monster of a review was, believe it or not, all done by Zaine.

It's actually the longest review on the site (and as you know that's saying quite a bit) - and a huge amount of love and care and work went into it.  I can't tell you how much we appreciate Zaine agreeing to do this review, and how thrilled we are with the result.

zridling:
Sorry to hear of your experience with StuffIt's MS Office integration. It worked fine for me, but this version inserted both a toolbar (on its own row every time) and created its own menu. For me, that was too much, but someone must have liked it. But it reminded me of the old Microsoft trick of tossing in features that almost no one uses, and telling everyone that they've made over 300 improvements! Oy.

Sentinel:
Zaine, your review was absolutely stunning.  I feel safe in saying that it is the highest quality and most comprehensive comparative review I have ever read on the Internet (and nearly all of the other good examples are here on DC).

I don't think I have anything to add or disagree with on the review itself as the testing methods, background info, range of products tested and conclusions were all spot on IMHO.

Thanks for the considerable hard work and my thanks also to mouser and Jibz for their input into this monster.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version