topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: cd burning  (Read 55635 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: cd burning
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 11:27 AM »
BTW I'm sticking with Burning Studio 6 for now as I'm very happy with it and have no need of the the added features in 7 (not as a paid upgrade, anyway)... I'm pretty unlikely to use it to rip CD's to mp3 and I'm completely uninterested in the ability to build DVD's from media!

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2007, 11:48 AM »
Thanks Darwin, Carol.  ImgBurn proved sufficient for my present purpose.  I am saving this added info for possible future use.  This is a very helpful site:  Thank you all very much!
ek

The main thing is that it is difficult to build DVDs properly with ImgBurn (even if you have already created the VIDEO_TS folder full of VOB files). The AShampoo software allows you to burn compliant DVDs straight from the VIDEO_TS folder and you can even build ISO versions of DVD Video discs. AShampoo also allows CD and DVD copying on the fly whereas ImgBurn makes you 'read' a disc to an ISO file and then burn the image out again. I still use both but find AShampoo quick and easy to use for most things too - whilst not free it is worth considering at $9.99!

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2007, 04:17 PM »
Strange email from AShampoo today:

Dear Ashampoo customer,

you recently received an offer to buy Ashampoo Burning
Studio 7 at a price of GBP 6.99.

Unfortunately, the fault devil has crept in with us and
indicated a wrong price. The offer should have been GBP 14.99.

We hope you excuse our mistake and we would like to give you a
full version of Ashampoo Photo Optimizer as a small compensation!

WTF ????

Anyway having got it for £6.99 I now have a free copy of Photo Optimizer (fwiw) ....

The links on the deals page still work correctly so if you want it grab it quick before they change the prices!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 04:19 PM by Carol Haynes »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2007, 04:32 PM »
That is absolutely INSANE! :lol: But I'm glad you got the earlier price AND the freebie (as you note, fwiw...) :eusa_dance:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2007, 04:42 PM »
I now have a free copy of Photo Optimizer (fwiw) ....
-Carol Haynes (May 16, 2007, 04:17 PM)

if you get a chance sometime, maybe you'd let us know what it is worth !
Tom

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2007, 05:19 PM »
it has to be worth that price lol, they give it away on magazine disks to, thats how i got my copy, and i was looking for something like that, something to sort them and keep track of them and it seemed to be ok, havent used it much, got busy with other stuff.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2007, 10:38 AM »
they give it away on magazine disks to, thats how i got my copy

This is what I miss about living in the UK (and the good old days in Canada) - cover disks are damned near extinct in Canada. In fact, in the smallish town that I live in, computer magazines are pretty sparse too - PC Mag, PC World, CPU, Smart Computing. There are a heck of a lot more gaming magazines now.

EDIT: fixed quote
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 09:25 AM by Darwin »

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2007, 08:57 AM »
Just discovered that ImgBurn (current version 2.3.2.0) doesn't copy or image audio CDs! Was quite surprised, but apparently this feature is still on the to-do list.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2007, 09:09 AM »
That's the main reason I have Ashampoo too.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2007, 02:31 AM »

I got Ashampoo Burning Studio off a magazine disk. No mess. no fuss, never gives me any trouble...Just got 6 (I have 5) offered for $4.99! :D

Ashampoo Photo Commander is great too - it's got an amazingly easy renaming facility for any files and it plays audio, video etc and is the only programme I know that can open Photoshop psd files! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: May 26, 2007, 02:38 AM by CleverCat »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2007, 09:48 AM »
I was reasonably impressed with the Ashampoo PhotoCommander trial that I ran a couple of months ago. It was pretty slick. However, as I already have PhotoCollector and exifPro (not to mentino SnapFire Plus) I passed on it. Seemed really nice, though.

I *think* you can still get Ashampoo Burning Studio 7 via the links that Carol and I posted on the previous page. If you're in NA it's $9.99. However, version 6 is excellent, too!

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2007, 10:28 AM »
The links are still working for the discounts but they have changed the price to $19.99 (USD) / £14.99 (UKP)

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2007, 11:57 AM »
Just for completeness...

The free version of Ashampoo Burning Studio 5

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2007, 12:35 PM »
The links are still working for the discounts but they have changed the price to $19.99 (USD) / £14.99 (UKP)
-Carol Haynes (May 26, 2007, 10:28 AM)

Drat! Still, if I were (a  :D) Clevercat, I'd try the "make us an offer" site at Ashampoo (can't find it right now; often I can get to it via the special offers link from the Help menu, although at the moment it's offering me ClipFind instead) - start at $4.99 and work your way up. I'd bet they'll take something in the $7.99 range, but it would be worth starting low... Just a thought...

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2007, 03:12 PM »
BTW I'm sticking with Burning Studio 6 for now as I'm very happy with it and have no need of the the added features in 7 (not as a paid upgrade, anyway)...
looks like everyone is happy to go the Nero way, adding features that nobody wants.. :)

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2007, 03:30 PM »
after all this discussion on adhampoo burning studio 6, what should appear on the cover disk of not 1 but 2 of the local pc magazines, yep you guessed it, ashampoo 6 (for free, but i wont comment on free software, seems to be another theread for that)  :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2007, 03:36 PM »
i am thinking of getting version 6 of Ashampoo as well before it disappears.. :)

mikiem

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2007, 08:57 AM »
Not saying anything against any of the software mentioned, a couple of deals some might be interested in...

1) there were apparently loads of discs available as you can still find the Nero 6 OEM Suite 3 [surpluscomputers.com sells it for $5 shipped]. While you are limited to the Express version of the burning software, you do get most of the goodies like DVD viewing/authoring, recode etc.

2) If you downloaded & registered the Roxio Easy Media Creator Suite 9, it apparently put you on the mailing list for an email deal Roxio's been hyping the last few weeks... I got about 10 emails from them so far. The deal: the latest Deluxe Suite 9 (which includes the Dazzle DVC90) for $50 + shipping on the DVC90. There's also a relatively liberal upgrade rebate for $30 on top of that -- I haven't received a rebate check yet of course, but at $50 it's a great deal -- at $20 almost unbelievable.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2007, 12:55 PM »
Unfortunately, Deluxe Suite 9 is a 650MB download... I *just* uninstalled Roxio/Sonic Deluxe Suite 8 because I realised that I don't use ANY of it, and had never used more than the CD burning feature in the past, prior to picking up Ashampoo Burning Studio.

Roxio is a FINE suite, it's just overkill for me and I got annoyed when I upgraded to 9 and discovered the size of the download after checkout. I RMA'd it without even downloading it and after a few weeks consideration, got rid of the previous version as noted above.

CleverCat

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2007, 07:07 AM »
after all this discussion on adhampoo burning studio 6, what should appear on the cover disk of not 1 but 2 of the local pc magazines, yep you guessed it, ashampoo 6 (for free, but i wont comment on free software, seems to be another theread for that)  :)

Just got it also........ :Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2007, 08:21 AM »

Just got it also........ :Thmbsup:

Guess I'm not such a clever cat after all  ;D

roady

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: June 01, 2007, 02:18 PM »
1 of the best cd/dvd burning apps,and only about 10 MB size,is Padus DiscJuggler.....not bloated,unlike Roxio's EasyCD-DVD cremator,but masters pretty much everything you throw at it.
Ashampoo Burning Studio is a decent app,but if you want to rip or burn audio,it has simply not enough to offer to create a decent audiocd .....

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2007, 08:00 PM »
Interesting Roady - I'll take a look! Thanks  :Thmbsup:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2007, 08:01 PM »
BTW Welcome to Donationcoder, roady! :)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2007, 12:39 AM »
aye, DiscJuggler looks promising.. among others, it allows writing drives to be shared across networks. however, it seem to offer licenses by the number of optical drives on the system - e.g. licensing starts from 2 drives which amounts to $49.99. there's a demo version available for download, though..

Demo Edition
This time-unlimited, fully-functional demo is availabe for you to download, at no cost or commitment. You are only capable of writing to one CD or DVD writing drive at the lowest speed possible at a capacity no higher than 700 MB. Technical Support is only available by e-mail for demo users.
http://www.padus.com/downloads/demo.php