topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:45 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: cd burning  (Read 55652 times)

kurtzern

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
cd burning
« on: May 09, 2007, 08:33 AM »
I wish to install Linux Ubuntu on my backup machine, which does not have a burn drive.  My main machine does have a write drive, but Roxio Easy CD Creator does not seem to wish to burn the downloaded file/program.  Is there some other tool that is more appropriate for this task? 
Dell 8250, Win XP Pro, Pentium 4 2.8 GBh, 1 Gig RAM.
Thank you.
kurtzern

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: cd burning
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 08:41 AM »
There's dozens,
I use imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com/) It's free and makes it really easy to make discs, especially from image files.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 08:59 AM »
anyone tried CDBurnerXP Pro
I used it for a while a couple of years ago
but gave up for some reason i cant remember now (something to do with multisession burns i think)

I believe they've rewritten it but new beta is not yet available
http://www.cdburnerxp.se/index.php

Another possibility is Deepburner - user reviews here:
http://www.snapfiles...rner/DeepBurner.html

Comparision DeepBurner Pro vs. DeepBurner Free here
http://www.deepburne...er&prr=provsfree
Tom
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 09:08 AM by tomos »

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 10:27 AM »
I am currently using ImgBurn - I like it because it is so small and discreet, but the Build mode, for compiling CDs from many files could use some refinement.

However, for your current task (burning an ISO image), I can't recommend it strongly enough.

kurtzern

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 02:23 PM »
Thanks for three good suggestions.  I will try each and report back if I come up with anything possibly useful to others.
ek

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 08:24 PM »
try InfraRecorder. i wrote a mini-review about the program here.. (shameless plug aside, it is a worthy burner) ;)

ws-infra-tb-1.png
http://infrarecorder.sourceforge.net

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 02:06 AM »
try InfraRecorder. i wrote a mini-review about the program here.. (shameless plug aside, it is a worthy burner) ;)

wow,
thanks lanux,
I had missed that review completely ...
Tom

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 02:58 AM »
... I had missed that review completely ...
no problem, tomos.. :) i think that it's better to have a cd burner thread in the "What's the Best?" section with links to various programs.. :up:

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 05:54 AM »
ImgBurn for all image file burning (easy, quick and efficient - and free).

Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 for everything else. (Search the form and there is a freebie version 5 too). Cheap (cost me $9.99) and does everything I need - and crucially allows conformant DVDs to be written from a VIDEO_TS folder (which ImgBurn doesn't - at least not easily) and also CD copying.

I used to use Nero but as far as I am concerned it's bloat is now consigned to the trash.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 10:16 AM »
Note that Ashampoo Burning Studio 7 is out now... and allows for DVD copy and the creation of bootable disks. Wait two to three months and you should be able to pick it up for about $8 or $9. I love ABS 6... I'm about ready to ditch Sonic RecordNow! 8 as I NEVER use it anymore.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2007, 01:58 PM »
Ha Ha, I just looked at Burning Studio 7 and for me there is nothing compelling - plus I asked for the upgrade price and it is £19.99 (that's UK pounds) whereas it is advertised as a firt time purchase at $39.99 (USD)  ....

Given that v. 6 was $9.99 I ain't paying nearly 4 times as much for the upgrade.

By the way you can't backup DVDs - you can build DVDs with any media video file but I can't see the recoding being brilliant (may be wrong but I don't need more software to do that). You can burn VIDEO_TS files to DVDs, but you can do that in version 6.

Another big plus is ripping CDs to MP3 files - whoopee - can't you do that for free in WMP and numerous other apps that are available for free.

Strikes me as though they are heading in the Nero direction - in which case I will stick with version 6 which is lean and mean and gets the job done.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 03:23 PM »
Dang! Thanks for the overview, Carol. I should learn to read more carefully. Absolutely SCANDALOUS that I am offered the upgrade for $19.99 and you lot in the UK are offered it at £19.99 - that's more than TWICE the price.

Charming.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 03:25 PM »
Oh, BTW, meant to mention to kurtzen WRT Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 - you should STILL be able to get version 6 cheap (as in the $9 price range. Someone here, forget who, got it for $7.99 a while ago...

kurtzern

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 05:14 PM »
Hello again, new friends.  Of the three programs suggested, ImgBurn achieved the task best, successfully burning the Ubuntu .iso file for installation.
Now, with Ubuntu installed and successfully humming on that old machine, I need anti-virus protection.  I use Kaspersky on my main machine.  I had used the U. of Michigan's free McAfee on the old machine, but they no longer support or make available that program for what used to be a Win98 machine.  Are there any freeware or shareware programs available and suggested for use with Linux?
Again, Thanks!
kurtzern

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 04:53 AM »
Kurtzern - can I suggest you start a new thread for information about linux AV solutions - makes things easier to find if others are looking for similar answers.

Cheers.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 01:05 PM »
yes, i agree that a new thread would be appropriate but on a general note, is AV necessary for linux? :)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 01:35 PM »
You mean like Mac doesn't get viruses either ...

Seriously I'd guess there is a growing problem under Linux these days but like Mac the user base is so small it has not got to epidemic proportions yet.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 07:09 PM »
Re: Linux viruses... There are a few proof of concept viruses out there, but nothing like the plague that assualts Windows.

However in my opinion, the main concern should be for Windows users.  Now that applications such as Open Office can read Microsoft Word documents and the like, a Linux system will pass on Windows-based viruses in these files, just as happily as a Windows system will.  Therefore Linux users need some system to recognize whether their files are infected with Windows viruses.

kurtzern

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 07:41 PM »
New thread has been begun under "Malware Protection" if any of you helpful people would care to switch with me.
ek

[Edit: Included link to new thread. Carol]
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 11:15 AM by Carol Haynes »

elpresi

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2007, 05:14 PM »
Hi,
I use Imgbrn for image files and PrassiONEs for everything else. It is lightweight and works very well.
http://www.videohelp...om/tools/Prassi_ONES

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 10:12 AM »
Just to note that Ashampoo just offered me Ashampoo Burning Studio 7 for $9.99...
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 11:06 AM by Darwin »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 10:21 AM »
Wow! Ashampoo/SoftMaker Office 2006 for $4.99 (reg. $69.99) is well worth the money (if you don't already have MS Office). It's light on resources and runs from a thumbdrive. SoftMaker are beta testing a Presentation app (a la Powerpoint - I'm running the beta and it's slick) for Office 2007 right now, so I assume that this cheap price indicates that Office 2007 must be close to release...

EDIT: Just to clarify, Ashampoo/SoftMaker 2006 includes two apps: TextMaker (word processor - like Word) and PlanMaker (spreadsheets - like Excel). See Zaine's review of TextMaker here.

Also, I've cross-posted the gist of this and the preceding post to the Discounts found forum.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 10:36 AM by Darwin »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 10:56 AM »
Just to note that Ashampoo just offered me Ashampoo Burning Studio 7 for $9.99...
And to me for £6.99 + VAT (still about 50% mark up on US prices but I am not going to whinge at £6.99). I wasn't sure whether to post the coupon code here or not (not sure if it is personal).

Darwin you show me yours (by PM) and I'll show you mine (so to speak ;)). If we have the same code I see no reason not to post it here. Just look in the URL on the order page when it opens.

Edit: Just checked your link and it is unique to you. I have edited on the discount page to the generic (non specific link ...)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 11:08 AM by Carol Haynes »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 11:03 AM »
Thanks for doing that, Carol. I checked that before I posted but I guess not carefully enough!

kurtzern

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 11:05 AM »
Thanks Darwin, Carol.  ImgBurn proved sufficient for my present purpose.  I am saving this added info for possible future use.  This is a very helpful site:  Thank you all very much!
ek