topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:44 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Remove startup folder? Anyone ever accomplish this ?  (Read 6190 times)

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Remove startup folder? Anyone ever accomplish this ?
« on: September 05, 2005, 04:33 PM »
I've googled this to death but have come up with nothing.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Remove startup folder? Anyone ever accomplish this ?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 06:39 PM »
Its a system folder that is just recreated if you manage to delete it (as far as I can tell).

Why bother - just open it and delete anything that offends !

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 09:32 PM »
famous last words in windows before a reinstall is needed "can i just delete this file?"

occassionally i'll install a program that freaks out and tries to do a repair install if i move its default folder in the start menu to someplace more appropriate, and i've "solved" the problem by marking the folder in the start menu as HIDDEN.  you might try that if it bothers you seeing the startup group.  not sure if it will work but worth a try.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 03:41 AM »
Don't forget that there are two StartUp folders in Win2k and XP.

Right click on start and "Explorer All Users" and you'll find one Startup folder - common to all users thatlogin to your computer (including you if you are the only one), there is also another option on Start Right Click just saying Explore. This opens you personal user based Program folder and in there you'll find another Startup folder.

If you want it to "disappear" you will need to hide both. Not sure if this'll work though.

There are good reasons for keeping it visible though - esp. if you install and unistall bits and bobs a lot in that you can see what installers have added to these folders. Often these are links that load tray icons, and if you want to get shut of them you just need to remove the item from the startup folder(s).

Most of the startup items that you shouldn't remove are hidden away in the registry.

By far the baset way to deal with these management issues is by using StartUp CPL at http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml which allows you to see pretty much everyth application  that loads things at startup and allows you to remove them (whilst keeping a backup in case things go wrong and you need to put it back)

Veign

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Veign - Where design meets development
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 11:32 AM »
Also, the creator of HiJackThis has a StartupList application which creates a nice report of start up objects and other things that could potentially be unsafe.

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 09:22 PM »
Thanks for responses.I think i'm gonna keep it.After reading some warnings here and there it's just not worth the risk.I long for the day when an operating system is fully customizable on a cosmetic level.

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2005, 10:26 PM »
Don't forget 2 use Startup Monitor 2 tell U when something has set itself 2 run @ startup.

http://mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml