topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:18 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Converting from FLV to AVI  (Read 37636 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Converting from FLV to AVI
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2007, 03:52 PM »
I've downloaded a bunch of music videos in flv format that look fine as-is in VLC Player's full-screen mode. ...

Yes, they play well in both VLC and in MPC, but I want to make them be a part of the Playlists in WMP and RealPlayer 10.5 as well, and that takes first to convert them to a video format. That is why I have been trying out these alternative "converting" metodes in the first place.

Thanks for the tip on 'no overlay'.  :up:

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2007, 04:02 PM »
I will relegate my off topic comments to spoilers
"A honest try", you say. Hmmm. Did you find the options?

Right-click anywhere in the program. No tooltips, if not wanted.
>:(
I probably would have looked at the options, but since the program disappeared when I hit the Encode button I figured looking at the options would be a waste of time. Unless of course there's a "Prevent Encode button from closing program" check box somewhere.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:04 PM by Hirudin »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2007, 05:48 PM »
... Unless of course there's a "Prevent Encode button from closing program" check box somewhere.

Actually I was thinking about asking this question in my previous post, but didn't do so. I should have. HOW did you try to start the encoding? All you are allowed to do, besides doing the settings, is to Drag&Drop the file to be converted, and only then hit the Encode button. This is the only way. Did it happen like this? I am asking because I use SUPER and have never experienced what you have described.

Other than that, the only complain I have about SUPER, as I already have said, is the lack of precision in the sync' between picture and sound, when converting from flash to movie.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 06:25 PM by Curt »

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2007, 10:09 PM »
Yeah... I'm pretty sure that's how I did it... Maybe I'll have to install it again after all. I'm using Vista 64 ( :D:( ), that's likely to have something to do with it...

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:04 PM by Hirudin »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2007, 11:49 PM »
Anyone know of any 'tweaker' software for converting videos? I like tons of options, but am tired of using 6 different programs!

imo, it's better to have a few programs that specialize in selected formats rather than hoping for one major app that will be the panacea.. btw, did you encounter any problems with the Riva encoder?

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2007, 12:32 AM »
I've been thinking that may be especially true for video encoding, since there's SO many source formats, SO many video codecs, and SO many audio codecs... It's hard enough finding a dedicated MP3 encoder that will let me use LAME with custom arguments only, much less expect a video encoder to do it. It would be quite a feet to get all the options from all the popular A/V codecs into a single GUI, and still be user friendly, keep current with the new advancements, and actually work too.

I haven't tried the Riva encoder yet... I'm hesitant to get a shareware encoder since I can do it with free apps already. I'll grab the demo tomorrow though.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2007, 12:05 PM by Hirudin »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2007, 05:50 AM »
I'm using Vista 64 , that's likely to have something to do with it...

The changelog does not mention anything on 64 bit at all since the first stable SUPER from july 21, 2005 - so I guess you may be right; SUPER is perhaps not ready for 64 bit

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2007, 06:10 AM »
I haven't tried the Riva encoder yet... I'm hesitant to get a shareware encoder

The "30 day trial" is the Producer, NOT the Riva Encoder which is Freeware.
Get it from Download.com C/Net.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2007, 07:51 AM »
I haven't tried the Riva encoder yet... I'm hesitant to get a shareware encoder since I can do it with free apps already. I'll grab the demo tomorrow though.
actually, Riva Encoder is a freeware program and the link is at the top of this thread.. :) but what the heck, here is it again: http://www.rivavx.de/?encoder

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2007, 11:18 AM »
Thanks guys, I saw the links. I don't have FLVs though. I'm looking for a general video converter, I have little interest in web videos. I'm not willing to download and install "Riva FLV Encoder" in the hopes that it'll do other formats as well. To me, it looks like Riva has software that might do what I want, but it's shareware, which makes me want to look elsewhere.

I'll start a new topic without "FLV" in the title to be less confusing :).

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2007, 12:06 PM »
TI don't have FLVs though. I'm looking for a general video converter, I have little interest in web videos.
Then stay away from FLV files. The format's only benefit is in its ubiquity. It truly is a lowest common denominator -- and I mean low. The quality of the compressed video is dismal. Look instead at xvid or some such.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2007, 05:38 PM »
I think there may be something wrong with the Riva .AVI format. The encoded .avi files from Riva (Africa.avi) is not showing any thumbnail image, as the other .avi files in Explorer are doing, but shows only the extension's icon:

RivaEncodedAvi.GIF

Is it only my XP / Riva combination, or is this some general Riva Encoder error?  :tellme:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2007, 02:31 AM »
well, given the fact that this thread's title and the 1st product mentioned involves FLV, it's natural for responders to give pointers on FLV. anyway, good for you that you have decided to start a new thread..

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2007, 03:34 AM »
well, given the fact that this thread's title and the 1st product mentioned involves FLV, it's natural for responders to give pointers on FLV. anyway, good for you that you have decided to start a new thread..
Thank you for the kudos!
....AVI format...
PLEASE Curt: This is an FLV thread only! Please address non-FLV relateded comments Elsewhere

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2007, 03:40 AM »
Thank you for the kudos!
no, thanks to you for finally getting it!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2007, 08:39 AM »
... This is an FLV thread only! Please address non-FLV relateded comments Elsewhere

I hope you will forgive me for not having the same great sense of humor as you.

04_153323.GIF

I think there may be something wrong with the Riva .AVI format. The encoded .avi files from Riva (Africa.avi) is not showing any thumbnail image, as the other .avi files in Explorer are doing, but shows only the extension's icon:

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Is it only my XP / Riva combination, or is this some general Riva Encoder error?  :tellme:

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2007, 12:07 PM »
OK, I get it.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2007, 02:08 PM »
Of course I should have mentioned that it was a flash file I was converting, using Riva
- I just took that for granted, since this thread is all about converting 'flash'es...

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2007, 01:59 PM »

[ Invalid Attachment ]

You may find it interesting that the BaylieBrown video thumbnail on the far left, actually is a flash .FLV file! It was renamed to .avi, but not converted. A flash file should not display a thumbnail image, but renaming it to avi obviously makes this one do so anyway.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2007, 11:14 PM »
You may find it interesting that the BaylieBrown video thumbnail on the far left, actually is a flash .FLV file! It was renamed to .avi, but not converted. A flash file should not display a thumbnail image, but renaming it to avi obviously makes this one do so anyway.
LOL, that's hilarious!

Does the AndyMckee Africa.FLV file display a thumbnail if you rename it to AVI? I mean, clearly the converted FLV doesn't, but does the same file, renamed, somehow work?

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2007, 01:07 AM »
aye, a quick check in GSpot shows the codec as a "FMP", probably since it's based on the FFMPEG encoder..

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2007, 01:17 AM »
a quick check in GSpot

Do you mind tell some more?  :tellme:  I have no idea what you are referring to!  :-[

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2007, 03:20 AM »
Last I saw; GSpot is a little program that will try to identify what codecs are inside video files. Since AVIs are containers, the file extension has little to do with what is actually needed to decode the file.

Using GSpot on a file that isn't working (or something) might help in finding a codec so you can watch it.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2007, 07:59 AM »
Fine program, this little GSpot. Only; now I am for the first time aware that many of the downloaded music videos only have mono sound!  :(    22kHz, 64 kb/s, mono   :down:

Does the AndyMckee Africa.FLV file display a thumbnail if you rename it to AVI?

Yes; it did!!   :P

- so why then doesn't the Riva encoded .FLV to .AVI file display a thumbnail???   :tellme: 
I am not too sure I will dare continue to trust this Riva.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2007, 08:04 AM by Curt »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2007, 11:25 PM »
i guess that the thumbnail is not displayed because the Windows thinks it is a malformed avi due to lack of info.. try installing a decoder like ffdshow.

FFDSHOW is a DirectShow decoding filter for decompressing DivX, XviD, H.264, FLV1, WMV, MPEG-1 and MPEG-2, MPEG-4 movies. It uses libavcodec from ffmpeg project for video decompression, postprocessing code from mplayer to enhance visual quality of low bitrate movies, and is based on original DirectShow filter from XviD, which is GPL'ed educational implementation of MPEG4 encoder.
http://www.codecs.co...download/FFDShow.htm