Has anyone considered Ultra Recall http://www.ultrarecall.com/
It has a pretty active forum with is a good sign.http://www.kinook.co...hp?s=&forumid=22
It has recently been released as Version 3 and in active development.
And it looks quite impressive and also very customizable - reminds me of Dopus customizability - so it probably can morph into almost any kind of PIM you will like it to me.
And it comes with a set of sample templates, synchronization with Outlook so you can use as a conduit to sync with your PocketPC for example.
You can add all kinds of attributes, forms, capture webpages and search as-you-type (which is probably why it is called Ultra Recall)
And it can import from a whole range of file formats :
Ultra Recall allows you to easily capture information from a variety of applications, using the Internet Explorer or Outlook toolbars, by dragging and dropping, copying and pasting, importing files, or manually entering formatted text. It can handle both local files and online documents, automatically storing and indexing the content of most popular file formats, including:
* Firefox/Netscape/Mozilla browsers (bookmarks, web pages, selected parts of web pages)
* Internet Explorer (favorites, web pages, selected parts of web pages)
* Microsoft OneNote (MHT)
* Microsoft Outlook messages, appointments, contacts, and notes
* Microsoft Outlook Express messages
* Microsoft Excel spreadsheets
* Microsoft PowerPoint presentations
* Microsoft Word documents
* Other browsers (web pages)
* Other email programs (PocoMail, The Bat!, etc. via .eml files)
* PDF (Adobe Acrobat) documents
* Pictures and images
* Text and rich text (RTF) files and clipboard data
* Thunderbird/Netscape email
* Web pages (including MHT)
* Windows Explorer files and folders
* XML files
* ZIP files
Ultra Recall includes an integrated web browser, rich text editor, image viewer, email message viewer, and contact editor, and it provides the ability to easily open captured web pages and documents in their associated application or default browser."http://www.kinook.co...Recall/products.html
And it allows file exports too so your data is not trapped in there.
But it's not that cheap at US$99.
So like Dopus, if you are looking for power and customizability, this may be it for you.