topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 6:58 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Poll

Check the diploma/degree/certification that you are working toward:

PhD
Masters
Bachelors (university/college)
Associate's (college)
MD
High school student
Other kind of school
LLB/JD
Don't want to answer
Thank god i'm done with schools!

Last post Author Topic: POLL: How many students are active here (instead of writing up?!)  (Read 22394 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I believe in 'life-long' learning so I am now working towards two bachelor degrees ("Music with Humanities" and "GeoSciences") though currently I am taking some time off. I got a degree in Mathematics years ago.

I have also done some Art courses (drawing and watercolour .... not that I am an artist with any skill - just thought it would be fun) and other "high school" type courses (in Outdoor Education and recreation). Not to mention quite a few online courses related to software (including a course with Manchester Art College in the use of Photoshop).

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Oh damn, i think my post above just made the bachelors get a bunch more votes! We're down by 3, now  >:(

[edit] whoa, Carol! I see you're quite a busy woman! So much studies :)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 08:36 PM by jgpaiva »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, Carol. That's impressive and an eclectic assortment of subjects. One thing that teaching at a college has instilled in me is a desire to take more undergraduate courses and I intend to do just that after I finish my PhD... I'm too old for the tenure rat race so I might as well just keep learning!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LOL I have to be the only one in junior high... ;D
Looking to working to a Masters or PhD in a couple different computer subjects. Years away, but nonetheless!
-Brandon

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I have to be the only one in junior high...
well you are off to a great start!

ps. i don't think you are the only one, but one of a small handfull for sure, and we're glad to have you.  :up:

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Wow, Carol. That's impressive and an eclectic assortment of subjects. One thing that teaching at a college has instilled in me is a desire to take more undergraduate courses and I intend to do just that after I finish my PhD... I'm too old for the tenure rat race so I might as well just keep learning!

That's more or less what I figured. I loved mathematics when I was younger and planned to do a PhD in Cosmology but there was no funding available and I started work. As I have got a bit longer in the tooth I have always regretted not getting more involved in classical music and so decided to redress the balance a bit. In the UK we have the wonderful "Open University" which allows you to study from home which is ideal.

My interest in Geosciences were a by product of Britain's brush with Foot and Mouth disease! At that time I was rock climbing and caving on an almost daily basis but F&M closed the countryside for months on end. Doing a geology course to fill in the time seemed like fun and I got addicted!

When I get round to finishing these two degrees (struggling at the moment with motivation, depression and financing it all) I may do something in the technology field (Material Science?) or possibly Astronomy (I fancy chilling out at the observatory on Majorca ;)).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 02:11 AM by Carol Haynes »

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
we have open university here in Australia to, i tried it but lacked the motivation, i need to see people and talk to other students and the lecturers and tutors, seems to make it much more fun and motivation is a little easier, for me anyway.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
we have open university here in Australia to, i tried it but lacked the motivation, i need to see people and talk to other students and the lecturers and tutors, seems to make it much more fun and motivation is a little easier, for me anyway.

The OU in the UK has face to face tutorials and summer schools - so there is some human contact. There are also personal tutors that you get to know and are very useful. It is true though that distance learning does take motivation and application (both of which I struggled with last year even though I found the courses I did fascinating). I am taking at least one year out at the moment - but then that is the beauty of distance learning: you can drop in and out as time/money/inclination allow.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
cartoon.gif

Thought some of you might like this

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
mouser, what are you doing there? ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice one Grorgy. Sadly, I think the cartoonist has really summed things up in my case  :-[

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Since I was only allowed two, I chose Masters & PhD.  Like Carol, I too believe in life long learning, though my experiences with Universities has made me very anti-school in some ways.  On the flip side, my company pays for any degrees or classes that could be applied to the company, so I have an IT degree, MBA, and am looking at maybe a Masters in Network Administration or a Business Doctorate.  Any suggestions out there? 

I am also continuing my studies in German language and culture as well as a few other things (Master Electrician, Military Studies, Java/Mono & C#/.Net Web Programming, Linux Administration).  I even studied Electrical Engineering for a time, but couldn't finish the tests in the time allotted, so I gave it up rather than failing out.  I have most of the math and foundation material still in this noggin though, so I suppose the time was useful for something.  I have found so many things fascinating, that I find I can not stay focused on any of them for too long.  I end up trying to learn a subject intensely for a while, then put it down for another subject.  I keep this up until I get back to the original subject.  I guess that is why Java is on my list still, more than any other reason.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nice one Grorgy. Sadly, I think the cartoonist has really summed things up in my case  :-[

What do you mean, in your case?

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I did my M.A. thesis in theater at UQAM (University of Quebec in Montreal) in 2005. Am now enrolled in the “études et pratiques des arts” Ph.D. program... at UQAM, still... That was probably a mistake.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

What do you mean, in your case?

Well... didn't want to generalise and paint all PhD students with the same brush that I would apply to myself :D

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Currently an junior at Maryland in Psychology. I plan on going into graduate school in either cognitive psychology or counseling psychology and pursing a masters+PhD program.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for casting a vote and posting Laughing Man (is it Viktor, per chance?). You've embarked on a long and rewarding process. I told myself coming into the PhD that I was doing this for "the achieve of, the mastery of the thing" and not with my eye on an economic payoff at the end of it. I still feel that way, though I wonder if I should have "stuck" with the MSc. Looks like Armando is feeling much the same way! The trouble is that the Masters degree always felt like a learner's permit and the PhD looked, from that perspective, like a licence to drive!

Laughing Man

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • V for Viktor
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I prefer spelling my name with a k even though it's a c in real life. But yeah, I want to pursue
it for the knowledge and not the money. Though one of my professors who sit on the graduate student admissions for counseling psychology at Maryland notes that it's sad how future psychologists are trained. Most of the time, the people who need the most help aren't the kind that can afford paying whatever amount per hour most psychologists charge. And often the psychologists charge alot because it cost them alot to go to those graduate schools. A vicious cycle of money sadly  :mad:

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Go for it then, Viktor! There are worse professions than psychology to pursue for the love of knowledge - you will have a real, marketable skill at the end of it. Another consideration is that as a PhD you'll have acquired both teaching and research skills, which are marketable irrespective of your discipline (I keep repeating this like a mantra to myself!). Finally, once you've got your PhD you can teach to earn your bacon and help those in need who may not be able to get help otherwise (as in, you would be able to keep your fees down or even donate your time at shelters and the like). I've no idea what community college instructors make in the States, but up north of the 49th the compensation and benefits are very good considering the amount of work that is required. You'd certainly have time for a practice outside of your teaching load. Almost all of the psych instructors I know at the college I teach at are in private practice as well.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 02:42 PM by Darwin »

bugis

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: POLL: How many students are active here (instead of writing up?!)
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2007, 04:42 AM »
I have finished my masters, and am currently in a PhD program in materials science & engineering. :)

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: POLL: How many students are active here (instead of writing up?!)
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2007, 11:22 PM »
8)
Ha! This is what I get for being out of the country for so long...a little late in the thread, but here goes.
OK, I took a MSc in Stratigraphy (Geology) about ten years ago, but I've been a professional photographer for 30 of my 40+ working years. Bite-sized trouble has a BA  in Drama ISTR. She graduated from UC Santa Cruz about six years ago.
OEF
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.