ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Impressive little scam

(1/3) > >>

cthorpe:
http://tech.cybernetnews.com/2007/05/08/new-trojan-spoofs-windows-activation/

Quote from Cybernetnews
There is a new Trojan in town, called Kardphisher, and it could be one of the trickiest computer scams ever made. It uses the annoying Windows Activation to make a user think that their system has been activated on another computer. It then prompts them to reactivate their PC by entering in some of their personal information, including their credit card number.

--- End quote ---

nite_monkey:
good thing I am not stupid, I would probaly have to look at it for a couple of seconds and then figure out I shouldn't be filling it out.

edbro:
Clever, yes. But, anybody stupid enough to think that MS needs your credit card info along with your security code and ATM pin shouldn't be carrying a card anyway. In fact, they shouldn't be on that interweb thing.

Cpilot:
Non-sophisticated users can get sucked up into scams like this easily.

Good post, maybe it would be a friendly thing to let those not as computer savvy as others know about it.

jgpaiva:
It doesn't take a "stupid" person to fall for that kind of stuff. It only takes a distracted person.
People that don't really depend on computers, and only use theirs for work.
Some of these scams are quite complex, and very similar to the real pages.
The first time i looked at www.phishtank.com, i was very impressed with the amount of this kind of material that is out there, and how damn real some of them look.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version