topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:12 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: I love opera, but something is terribly wrong...  (Read 5839 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I love opera, but something is terribly wrong...
« on: May 08, 2007, 08:09 AM »
Every week I have some kind of problem with Opera.
This time, after moving from 9.1 to 9.2, the wand stopped working.

Here they explain howt to move settings. I followed these instructions to the letter.
Still, no passwords are autocompleted.

Just to make sure, I re-copied all files again. Nothing.
Maybe this is because in my new installation, I didn't enable the global password?

I think managing opera when moving from one install to another is unnecessary complicated. I have been an user since v.5, and I still have problems like this.

I get the password field highlighted, the wand popup shows up, there are several options (indicates that the wand should know the passwd) but nothing is filled.

I can't believe I have produced 137 posts in the opera forums already, basically asking for help.

Which reminds me that I have NEVER used a forum in the 2-3 months I had FF as my main browser.

Soething's really wrong with opera. I consider myself a power user. If I have to waste my time chasing answers like this, I wonder how average, non-techie users deal with it.

Thoughts?

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: I love opera, but something is terribly wrong...
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 08:11 AM »
Try reneabling the global password and make sure it is the same password as you had before.  Perhaps the wand password files are encrypted using that globalpassword, and without it being set they can't be used?

The webpage you linked to states:
(if you had set a master password, you will also need to copy the Certificates files -- and set a master password in the new installation)

Carl
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 08:12 AM by cthorpe »

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:17 AM »
Plus, the more extensions/useful things that google, del.icio.us, etc develop for firefox, the more one feels alienated by using opera.

The opera dev team redefines the word stubborn when it comes to implementing an API so people can write plugins.

The widgets solution is wity, but gives little room to play with; the widgets I have seen are just clocks, and other unimportant gadgets. And I removed them all when I realized that just a clock or a timer would take 2-3% CPU each (!). No memory footprint though.

So, I'm starting to think that Opera sucks; they are the fastest, and most effective browser (brilliant user interface), but there are many simple decisions (easy updating/config; extensibility) that they are doing obviously wrong! And they don't care (look at their forums); how many times do people ask for an API?

Josh in this forum doesn't use opera because roboform cannot talk to it. I sorely miss my del.icio.us toolbar and now google toolbar and google workbook. Add Zotero, firebug, etc... and you have serious reasons to doubt Opera will survive in the long run.

Maybe it justs needs a new CEO...

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 08:30 AM »
Didn't you choose the 'upgrade' option when you installed the new version?
I always do that, and never had a problem with the wand. (although i don't have a master password on my wand)
When i recently formated my computer, i kept all the configs, then overwrote the /documents and settings/user/application data/opera/ folder on the new instalation, and everything was working again as in the previous instalation.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 09:53 AM »
surfulater is the reason I dont use opera anymore
I miss it but ...
Tom

hpearce

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 10:49 AM »
Well, if you did copy your 9.1 profile prior to the install/upgrade, then you should be able to revert back to 9.1 without a problem.

I *ALWAYS* backup my program files/opera folder before re-installing or upgrading (along with the profile it is is located in your application data folder instead of within the root program folder).

I also recommend UNWAND to decode your wand file into a text file in case you ever need the passords for another browser ....there is no export/import to my knowedge (would probably defeat the purpose).

http://speedman.sk/1...operawanddatenglish/

Since Opera uses little or no registry entries (except if it is selcted as the deafult browser for OPEN WITH entries), then reverting is simply a matter of copying the files back in place.
Windows 7 SP1 (TM) Home Premium 64-bit .. Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26 GHz / 2.27 GHz .. 4GB RAM .. NVIDIA GeForce 9800M GTS .. Gateway P-7805u FX
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 10:53 AM by hpearce »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 10:52 AM »
I also recommend UNWAND to decode your wand file into a text file in case you ever need the passords for another browser ....there is no export/import to my knowedge (would probably defeat the purpose).

http://speedman.sk/1...operawanddatenglish/

Not to break topic, but thanks for that--didn't know that was out there, great find.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 11:03 AM »
Have you checked that utility to ensure it works?
The Opera help file says this:
Master Password

To prevent other people from using your certificates, you can set a master password with strong 168-bit triple DES encryption.

You will then be asked to enter your master password when you want to use your certificates.
Select a password that is impossible to guess and keep it secret
Set Opera to ask for the master password every time needed if other people have access to your computer or user account

You can also use the master password to protect your e-mail, news, and Wand passwords.
Would be hard to unwand? Or does this mean that without a master password all the wand password are unsecure?

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2007, 12:47 PM »
With the option enabled to use the master password to protect wand data, the extracted text unwand generates has all the data except passwords intact. (site, username, other form info, no passwords).

With that option not selected, it exports the whole shebang--passwords included.