ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I love opera, but something is terribly wrong...

(1/2) > >>

urlwolf:
Every week I have some kind of problem with Opera.
This time, after moving from 9.1 to 9.2, the wand stopped working.

Here they explain howt to move settings. I followed these instructions to the letter.
Still, no passwords are autocompleted.

Just to make sure, I re-copied all files again. Nothing.
Maybe this is because in my new installation, I didn't enable the global password?

I think managing opera when moving from one install to another is unnecessary complicated. I have been an user since v.5, and I still have problems like this.

I get the password field highlighted, the wand popup shows up, there are several options (indicates that the wand should know the passwd) but nothing is filled.

I can't believe I have produced 137 posts in the opera forums already, basically asking for help.

Which reminds me that I have NEVER used a forum in the 2-3 months I had FF as my main browser.

Soething's really wrong with opera. I consider myself a power user. If I have to waste my time chasing answers like this, I wonder how average, non-techie users deal with it.

Thoughts?

cthorpe:
Try reneabling the global password and make sure it is the same password as you had before.  Perhaps the wand password files are encrypted using that globalpassword, and without it being set they can't be used?

The webpage you linked to states:
(if you had set a master password, you will also need to copy the Certificates files -- and set a master password in the new installation)

--- End quote ---

Carl

urlwolf:
Plus, the more extensions/useful things that google, del.icio.us, etc develop for firefox, the more one feels alienated by using opera.

The opera dev team redefines the word stubborn when it comes to implementing an API so people can write plugins.

The widgets solution is wity, but gives little room to play with; the widgets I have seen are just clocks, and other unimportant gadgets. And I removed them all when I realized that just a clock or a timer would take 2-3% CPU each (!). No memory footprint though.

So, I'm starting to think that Opera sucks; they are the fastest, and most effective browser (brilliant user interface), but there are many simple decisions (easy updating/config; extensibility) that they are doing obviously wrong! And they don't care (look at their forums); how many times do people ask for an API?

Josh in this forum doesn't use opera because roboform cannot talk to it. I sorely miss my del.icio.us toolbar and now google toolbar and google workbook. Add Zotero, firebug, etc... and you have serious reasons to doubt Opera will survive in the long run.

Maybe it justs needs a new CEO...

jgpaiva:
Didn't you choose the 'upgrade' option when you installed the new version?
I always do that, and never had a problem with the wand. (although i don't have a master password on my wand)
When i recently formated my computer, i kept all the configs, then overwrote the /documents and settings/user/application data/opera/ folder on the new instalation, and everything was working again as in the previous instalation.

tomos:
surfulater is the reason I dont use opera anymore
I miss it but ...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version