ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows

(1/5) > >>

urlwolf:
Since I often hear from friends and people on the Internet about things they can't do in Linux that they could on Windows, I thought I'd write up a list of things I can do in Linux that I can't do in Windows.
Update every single piece of software on my system with a single action.  This is one of the main reasons I run Linux.  Sure, Windows has Windows Update, but that only updates the operating system, Office, and a few other things.  For every Linux distribution I've used (Gentoo, Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu), updating is simple.  When you update, you have every application, every library, every script - every single piece of software upgraded automatically for you.  And on most of them, they will check for updates automatically and notify you.  This is great for security, fixing bugs quickly, and getting the latest in features.
Update nearly everything on my computer without a reboot.

--- End quote ---

from http://dmartin.org/weblog/things-i-can-do-in-linux-that-i-cant-do-on-windows

Lashiec:
Interesting read... but you can do most things in Windows, and those you can't are not convincing me to do a total switch (not that I'm after convincing arguments). After all, you can get the benefits of both worlds by dual-booting, without much hassle, the confidence of being able to criticise both open source and proprietary software actually knowing what you're talking about, and the joy of using excellent software everywhere.

By the way, you've got to restrict the capture area next time. We can spy on you! ;D

dhuser:
Nice find urlwolf. Many of the points mentioned were backed up with information. Makes me want to switch, at times (from Windows).

dhuser

cthorpe:
the confidence of being able to criticise both open source and proprietary software actually knowing what you're talking about
-Lashiec (May 08, 2007, 06:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's why I dual boot ;)

Eóin:
Haven't read the article in detail to make an overall comment, but there is a logic flaw in one of the points-

Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows...

... Run an entire operating system for free without pirating software, and without breaking the law.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version