topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows  (Read 15085 times)

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows
« on: May 08, 2007, 05:24 AM »
Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows
Since I often hear from friends and people on the Internet about things they can't do in Linux that they could on Windows, I thought I'd write up a list of things I can do in Linux that I can't do in Windows.
Update every single piece of software on my system with a single action.  This is one of the main reasons I run Linux.  Sure, Windows has Windows Update, but that only updates the operating system, Office, and a few other things.  For every Linux distribution I've used (Gentoo, Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu), updating is simple.  When you update, you have every application, every library, every script - every single piece of software upgraded automatically for you.  And on most of them, they will check for updates automatically and notify you.  This is great for security, fixing bugs quickly, and getting the latest in features.
Update nearly everything on my computer without a reboot.

Clipboard Image.pngThings I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows

from http://dmartin.org/w...i-cant-do-on-windows
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 05:27 AM by mouser »

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 06:03 AM »
Interesting read... but you can do most things in Windows, and those you can't are not convincing me to do a total switch (not that I'm after convincing arguments). After all, you can get the benefits of both worlds by dual-booting, without much hassle, the confidence of being able to criticise both open source and proprietary software actually knowing what you're talking about, and the joy of using excellent software everywhere.

By the way, you've got to restrict the capture area next time. We can spy on you! ;D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 06:07 AM by Lashiec »

dhuser

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • King Dogbert
    • View Profile
    • StumbleUpon Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 07:10 AM »
Nice find urlwolf. Many of the points mentioned were backed up with information. Makes me want to switch, at times (from Windows).

dhuser
My StumbleUpon Profile
Imagine.Explore.Create!

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 08:08 AM »
the confidence of being able to criticise both open source and proprietary software actually knowing what you're talking about

Yes, that's why I dual boot ;)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 10:14 AM »
Haven't read the article in detail to make an overall comment, but there is a logic flaw in one of the points-

Things I can do in Linux that I can't do on Windows...

... Run an entire operating system for free without pirating software, and without breaking the law.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 10:44 AM »
Hmmm...

It's about time that I try out the newest latest and greatest from the Linux world. Last time I really tried it was pure Hell. (A few years ago I tried to get a box running with several distros - nothing worked right and I had LSODs (Linux Screen Of Death) every few minutes practically.)

I am still very far from convinced, but I'll give it a shot.

As to the comments in the thread there... Yikes. Sounded like a lot of gushing to me. TCO? That all depends on what you want to do. It is far cheaper to spend a few $1,000 on software that requires less maintenance than some other free version in some situations. There's no generally "true" TCO for Linux or Windows - that's pure BS. Web server? Windows 100%. File server? Linux 100%. Then there's everything inbetween. They do different things better.

More gushing BS:

Yes, but Linux will never be able to run all the great virus's and spy ware that my windows box can. Just look at all the great virus code that I can run on windows box for free, just by connecting my unprotected windows PC to the Internet. No downloading no updating, just automatically arrives.

Good sarcasm, but just silly. The top security expert all say that OSX is no more secure than Windows - and OSX is built on BSD, which is still a step above Linux with BSD having some of the genreally considered most secure distros. Security is about social engineering and stupid people that fall for it.

Time to check out if the hype is anywhere near reality... But only after I get back from the sun and sand in Thailand! :D  (I'm SOOOO looking forward to this vacation - first real one in 5 years.)

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 11:01 AM »
My advice, should you choose to try Linux, is to forget about making it exactly like Windows.  You will spend countless hours, and you will fail.  Once you spend signicant time on Linux, every time you use a Windows computer you will say "Bah, I could do xyz if I was on Linux".

Funny, I find myself saying, "Bah, I could do xyz if I was on Windows.  Here in Linux, before I can do xyz, I have to do acdefg(no wait i needed d efg)defghi(.1)i(.2)i(.3)jklnmomnopqustuv(what do you mean I needed b???? Ah $%!& it!)"

tinjaw

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 11:05 AM »
Funny, I find myself saying, "Bah, I could do xyz if I was on Windows.  Here in Linux, before I can do xyz, I have to do acdefg(no wait i needed d efg)defghi(.1)i(.2)i(.3)jklnmomnopqustuv(what do you mean I needed b???? Ah $%!& it!)"

That's definitely quote of the day material. LOL.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 03:14 PM »
I read this article early this morning and have to agree with one of the commenters there, that Linux is Linux, and Windows is Windows. If you install a Linux distro thinking it's going to (or should) work like Windows, you're in for a surprise, and not a pleasant one. The installation and driver models are just too different. If you enjoy futzing and fiddling with your system, tweaking it to exact measures, then you'll probably like some of the Linux distros. If not, you'll have to approach as if you were approaching Windows for the very first time — with a wide-open mind. So going into Linux — especially Ubuntu — thinking it will an easy "Windows replacement" is a mistake, and you will be disappointed and frustrated, and within about ten minutes or ten hours, run back to Windows and tell everyone how much Linux sucks. (You see a similar response to long-term nixers who haven't used Windows since Win98.)

The desktops, like KDE, for example, might look similar, but the comparison quickly breaks down after you scratch the surface. If you want to try a Windows and hardware-friendly distro, check out Freespire or PCLinuxOS.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 03:17 PM by zridling »

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2007, 03:18 PM »
there's pretty much ONE thing I can do on linux that i can't do running windows

working and having fun with it while using it and having the right feel to it.
very personal thing, tho.
the look and feel, the handling, how stuff is organized, how it works... linux just feels right for me ;-)
windows doesn't.

ronriel

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2007, 10:37 PM »
Linux does not suck at all (because its free :P). IMHO Linux is an efficient and effective alternative to windows.. I'm currently using PuppyLinux http://puppylinux.or...ewpage.php?page_id=1 on my ancient pentium with 32MB of ram while writing this. Works like a charm. Puppy is very easy to use(you don't have to install it on hard drive, it boots directly from cd) and is very fast.
This is not meant to be an advertisement or something but I just hope it can help a lot of people having problems on how and where to dump their old machines or so they say. Well they don't have to...
Before considering on buying that expensive hardware just to run windows (XP) efficiently so that your little kids or little sisters will have a computer to toy with, try PuppyLinux first, it might make you happy. It made me.
So perhaps this is one thing i can do in linux that i cant (never) do in windows ---bringing those very old machines at your service again.
-ronriel

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2007, 11:16 PM »
11. Learn about, support, and appreciate the value of free software.

He should come take a look at my windows boxes...they loaded with free software...of all kinds.

And he should pay a visit here, too.

One doesn't need to use Linux to do #11. ::)

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2007, 04:46 PM »
(I'm SOOOO looking forward to this vacation - first real one in 5 years.)

:Thmbsup:

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2007, 04:53 PM »
If you want to try a Windows and hardware-friendly distro, check out Freespire or PCLinuxOS.

agree... except for freespire. :) : (Freespire is certainly a fine choice... it' just... it's the installation process, and other things. Not sure I like it)
 (Why do you like Freespire, Zaine?)

I think one should also check : Ubuntu, Open Suse and Mandriva (the "One" edition)... or any of the "big ones"... depending on your hardware. They're all pretty user friendly.

I'd start with PCLinuxOS (It's always been working well for me) then... maybe Ubuntu (it usually works too, and is well supported). PcLinuxOS is more KDE centered though -- a Gnome version is being plannde. They seem to work on most computers, the communities are great, and you generally find your way around any problem quite rapidly.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2007, 05:05 PM by Armando »

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 04:57 PM »
Oups.  :-[
Pushed the wrong button.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2007, 01:36 AM »
I know I know, this is PC and Linux, but I found this funny anyway.

http://www.thebestpa...et/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2007, 03:08 AM »
;D ;D ;D anyway, this will fit right in this thread.. :)

TonyB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2007, 03:58 AM »
I would love to change, but Photoshop keeps me on Windows.  You can't compare PS to Gimp.

Tony

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2007, 11:17 AM »
He should come take a look at my windows boxes...they loaded with free software...of all kinds.

Umm... not to be too nit-picky, I don't think that's exactly what he meant.
It's one of those points us Linux users like to make that is endlessly annoying to everyone else.
[mumble]...free as in beer...free as in libre...[/mumble] ...you know the drill.

I would love to change, but Photoshop keeps me on Windows.  You can't compare PS to Gimp.

Which is a point made before. Gimp has similar functionalities and purpose goals, but the two are not the same.
Folks who use Gimp and use it well probably have no need for Photoshop, and vice-versa.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 02:02 PM »
Armando, Freespire is nice for the wrong reason according to a lot of Linux folks, but a good reason for Windows folks: the proprietary codecs included. Oddly PCLinuxOS recognized by my new monitor and my new HP printer, as did Fedora 7. Fedora just took a little longer to setup is all, but on both, the graphics are incredible. I'm still surprised at how much better apps like OpenOffice and others look under GNOME or KDE when compared to Vista.

I think I'd always keep a Windows machine around, if for no other reason than to piss off the Apple folks. While I've seen the lure of its all-in-one design (I was remember Apple when they had Lisa), that [over]price has always made me think "sucker" every time I see someone with them.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2007, 10:29 AM »
Catch up time! :D

http://www.thebestpa...et/c.cgi?u=macs_cant

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA~!

That was hilarious!

I couldn't help but read more from that guy. This just about made me piss my pants laughing!

Then there was the "rootkit" debacle, where Sony secretly installed hidden bullshit on your computer. One of Sony BMG's presidents handled the situation with the delicacy of a gang rape with this quote: "Most people, I think, don't even know what a rootkit is, so why should they care about it?" Good point, shit-head!

You can't compare PS to Gimp.

Yes you can. The GIMP sucks compared to Photoshop. :)

Folks who use Gimp and use it well probably have no need for Photoshop, and vice-versa.

I would question their productivity though. Back to the free thing... What's your time worth?

Photoshop is just faster to get things done. (I use Paint.Net on 1 machine as well and still, PS is the way to go if you've got the cash.)

I think I'd always keep a Windows machine around, if for no other reason than to piss off the Apple folks.

HAHAHAHAHAHA~!

I'm damn near pissing myself laughing again!

Spoiler
stfu2.jpg

Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Lashiec

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 10:57 AM »
The collage is hilarious, particularly the girl in the lower left corner, which is the one I talked about in my post in the Mac Ads thread

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 11:30 AM »
I can't say this without sounding glib but... other than the "free" bit, I'm not impressed.

To start off with Linux and have everything running well and as highly customized as I do now in Windows would be nightmarish, if not impossible. It's just too much effort for too little gain (if there is, in fact, a gain to be had.)  It's not as if Linux security is flawless. Windows is the hacker's no.1 target but with the right 3rd party security software and a few changes (dump IE for Firefox/Opera) Windows is a really cool platform to work on.