Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 23, 2014, 06:59:30 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the Practical Guide to DonationCoder.com Forum Search Features

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: FreeThesaurus.net - new official DC web service, is now up and running!  (Read 15480 times)
Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

Two there should be; no more, no less.

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 07, 2007, 07:17:28 PM »

FreeThesaurus.net is a new online thesaurus service offered by DonationCoder.com, for English language lovers around the globe in their continuous quest for the right words.

It's the online brother of our Mobysaurus, with much more frequent updates, and displays no error message when you are found guilty of not using Windows. Wink

Two of the major features in Mobysaurus are also offered on FreeThesaurus.net:

• Highlighting and linking synonyms that are themselves main entries  - you'll see words with dotted, khaki underlines that are clickable.
  • Headword suggestions - the part starts with 'Main entries similar to...' at the bottom of the results page, in which it displays a number of related main entries that may also interest you.

I hope you will like it more than many other thesaurus sites out there that will show you less entries than ads and bloat up the page so it takes quite a few seconds to load. After all, when you are looking for synonyms, you just want to see relevant words and you want them now, is it not?  Cool

This is my first php+mysql project (before this there was hmmm, nothing, nil, zero, nada) and I'm still very inexperienced in web programming. Thanks to mouser for offering me his huge helping hand during development. And if you come across any bugs plz do let me knowthumbs up

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 07:26:16 PM »

Anderson has really outdone himself this time -- it's a truly beautiful and useful thing he's created.

Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 07:22:21 AM »

Hey that is REALLY beautifully done ...

How about incorporating the search box in the DC forum reply/quick reply forms (might make posts more erogenous - got there in three clicks from 'interesting')?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 07:24:19 AM by Carol Haynes » Logged

Curt
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 08:41:37 AM »

??!!

"Interesting" I could understand, but sexual stimulating posts at DC...??

FreeThesaurus.net   

Displaying 1 match and 0 supplemental result for erogenous [definition]

Main Entry: erogenous
Synonyms: amorous, carnal, erogenic, erotic, erotogenic, fleshly, gamic, heterosexual, libidinal, nuptial, oversexed, potent, procreative, sensual, sex, sexed, sexlike, sexual, sexy, straight, undersexed, venereal, voluptuous

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Main entries similar to: erogenous
amorous, carnal, erotic, fleshly, gamic, heterosexual, libidinal, nuptial, oversexed, potent, procreative, sensual, sex, sexed, sexual, sexy, straight, undersexed, venereal, voluptuous

I guess from now our new female members have a job to do... 
Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:24:44 PM »

Ajax live suggest has just been added to freethesaurus.net. Hope you all like it! Grin

To enable/disable it, simply toggle between show/hide live suggestions on the top right. Live suggest is not enabled by default.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:06:34 PM »

I have only one question, how did Wordzilla become such a good php/ajax coder in so short a time  tellme
Second Shadow
Participant

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 11:53:01 PM »

How about incorporating the search box in the DC forum reply/quick reply forms (might make posts more erogenous - got there in three clicks from 'interesting')?

Hey! I'm all for more erogenous posts too!!!!!  cheesy
Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 01:21:38 AM »

Plz help contribute to the database (i.e. msg me) if you've got ideas, erotic or not!  cheesy

Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 09:51:17 AM »

Resident artist Nudone has contributed yet another three brand-new Cody logos to our superb Cody graphics collection!

See them in action at FreeThesaurus.net!  Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss

(The primary logo is shown from Monday to Friday, and the rest two are shown at weekends.)

They add so much to the site and I'm very excited!

Thanks again Nudone!  Thmbsup

nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 10:11:46 AM »

glad to be of service, wordzilla.

i think "three brand-new cody logos" is stretching it a little - more like 2.1 new images  cheesy
Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2007, 05:18:15 PM »

Our out-Illustrator Illustrator nudone did it again, adding 4 new (yes, brand-new cody logos) to FreeThesaurus.net! As we rotate these logos, everyday you'll see a new cody. cheesy

Update: new spell checker and ajax dictionary (based on WordNet) have been implemented, and the kernel was almost totally rewritten to further speed up searches.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 05:50:46 PM by Wordzilla » Logged

Grorgy
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2007, 05:37:34 PM »

Its a great tool wordzilla, one of the few things I have sitting in the personal toolbar bit of my browser, and it just gets better  Thmbsup  (and the Codys are cute to  Wink )
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 06:03:38 PM »

great job on the site wordzilla.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2007, 06:38:04 PM »

Fantastic stuff.  Kiss
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2007, 06:50:11 PM »

Wow - I'm officially jealous of Nick's skill  Thmbsup These are wonderful!

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2007, 06:59:35 PM »

Don't forget that Nick has recently put his toe in the water as a freelance artist, so if you know a business that might want to hire him for some design work, drop him a line.
Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2007, 08:22:30 PM »

Absolutely brilliant (and really elegant too) - but can I ask two questions:

1) How do you get the yellow definition panels (I am using Firefox) ?

2) If I leave FreeThesaurus.net open in a tab I find my keyboard really sluggish in other tabs - is there any way to fix that or should I simply close the thesaurus tab when I finish?

Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2007, 06:18:14 AM »

Absolutely brilliant (and really elegant too) - but can I ask two questions:

1) How do you get the yellow definition panels (I am using Firefox) ?

2) If I leave FreeThesaurus.net open in a tab I find my keyboard really sluggish in other tabs - is there any way to fix that or should I simply close the thesaurus tab when I finish?

Thx Carol,

1. To get the yellow definition panels, move mouse cursor over a word/phrase - if you have javascript enabled, they should display properly.

2. Hmm maybe your browser has a problem with my ajax scripts, just click on "Disable quick dictionary" and "Disable live suggest" on the top-right corner.

Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2007, 06:41:14 AM »

1. To get the yellow definition panels, move mouse cursor over a word/phrase - if you have javascript enabled, they should display properly.

Seems to work in Internet Explorer but it doesn't seem to work for me in Firefox 2.0.0.6

2. Hmm maybe your browser has a problem with my ajax scripts, just click on "Disable quick dictionary" and "Disable live suggest" on the top-right corner.

Using Firefox, I have disabled both but I still have the problems in other tabs - unresponsive mouse highlighting of text and typing playing slow catch up as I type. Once I close the thesaurus tab everything is back to normal.

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2007, 06:47:04 AM »

that slowdown you are experiencing is an invisible window where cody is doing a dance.  it's true you can't see it, but just knowing that your computer cpu is being used for a complex physics simulation of Cody doing his special Worm dance should bring you immense satisfaction and outweight any sluggish pc performance.
ak_
Supporting Member

« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2007, 06:56:09 AM »

Totally off-topic, sorry, but some synonyms are kinda weird, like :

good > Christian, honest-to-good
erogenous > heterosexual

tellme

Of course i know it's nobody here's fault, and i'm not trying to start some flame here, i just found them a little disturbing smiley

This said, it didn't know about this site and i think my non-native-english-speaker self will find it very useful. Or commodious. Or beneficial. Or convenient. Or...
« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 07:01:36 AM by ak_ » Logged

Wordzilla
Forum Search Daemon
Charter Member

« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2007, 07:01:37 AM »

According to the hefty Merriam Webster's unabridged dictionary

Christian  a. (3c): decent, civilized.  Wink

As for "heterosexual", I should probably remove it from "erogenous".

Thanks ak!  Thmbsup

ak_
Supporting Member

« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2007, 07:06:16 AM »

Oh well, i think i'm not as good as i thought then smiley

Quote from: Wordzilla
As for "heterosexual", I should probably remove it from "erogenous".

Thanks ak!  Thmbsup
Yay ! smiley Great work by the way, thank you for this.

Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2007, 07:14:54 AM »

Tell that to victims of the crusades (or George Bush/Tony Blair) ... sorry didn't realise that Merriam Webster had an agenda!

Carol Haynes
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2007, 07:15:20 AM »

that slowdown you are experiencing is an invisible window where cody is doing a dance.  it's true you can't see it, but just knowing that your computer cpu is being used for a complex physics simulation of Cody doing his special Worm dance should bring you immense satisfaction and outweight any sluggish pc performance.

That's OK then - I am now happy Wink

Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.054s | Server load: 0.03 ]