ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Will copying 300 GB from one hard drive to another kill it?

(1/2) > >>

superboyac:
I am about to synchronize my files from one hard drive to another (and repeat it for a 3rd drive).  Now, the last time I did this (about 2 weeks ago), just a few hours after everything was copied, the hard drive died.  I have since returned it and received the warranty replacement from Seagate.  I am about to start synchronizing again, but I don't want to do it if it is too taxing on the hard drive.  Shouldn't drives be able to handle this?  I don't think I'm doing anything the drive wasn't designed for.

I realize I am transferring a lot of stuff.  It takes about 3-4 hours.  Maybe the heat sustained for that long damages the drive.  The problem is, what else do I do?  Do I have to transfer it more slowly?  Should I transfer a few gigabytes, take a break, and then transfer again?  Seems kind of silly to me. 

If any of you hard drive gurus know about this, please let me know.

Josh:
This will not do damage to the drive, or it shouldnt if the drive was manufacturer in any decent fabrication facility. I wouldnt worry about it honestly. It would be like doing a full format on the drive.

superboyac:
This will not do damage to the drive, or it shouldnt if the drive was manufacturer in any decent fabrication facility. I wouldnt worry about it honestly. It would be like doing a full format on the drive.
-Josh (May 07, 2007, 04:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
OK, thanks.  I won't worry about it then.  I should be safe anyway, since my data is backed up (crosses fingers).

cthorpe:
I've done similar many times.  Everything should be fine.  I would guess that the earlier failure was a fluke.

Nighted:
Keep that hard drive cool. Make sure you have adequate cooling in your machine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version