topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:59 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: RESOLVED: Intel Core 2 Duo + WinXP SP2 problem: only single core detected / used  (Read 14175 times)

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
I have bought new hardware, but am having great problems getting WinXP to use it correctly. I hope that one of DC's hardware gurus can shed some light on the problem...

Hardware
Mobo: Abit Il 9 Pro
CPU:  Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
RAM:  Corsair 2GB
HDs:  2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200 16MB 250GB
All bought as an upgrade kit from Komplett.co.uk

The Issue
WinXP SP2 doesn't detect / use the second core.

Issue verified by...
  • Only one CPU graph in Task Manager > Performance (one graph per CPU is checked)
  • Generally slow performance.
  • CPU-z reads correct CPU info, but cores drop down is greyed out and only shows core 1.
  • Device Manager > Computer = StandardPC (I believe that dual core would read ACPI of some variety)

Test eith Other OSes
Ubuntu and Vista both find and use both cores... but I can't use either as my RT.x100 video editing card, does not have drivers for either.

I found a forum post (I forget where), which suggests that a dual core must have an ACPI version of the kernel HAL, and suggests that this can be forced during install of WinXP by hitting F5. This brings up a text menu of different HALs.

When I press F5, my menu only contains two items... Standard PC with C-Step i486 (which I know doesn't work) and Other.

Other prompts me to insert a floppy with drivers... I have neither a floppy drive nor any driver to give it!

I have also tried changing the computer type via the control panel, but again get no options other than StandardPC.

My WinXP cd is a slipstream of my original (which I no longer have) and includes SP2. I suppose it is possible that I have removed something from it which is removing support for dual cores... I have no idea what!

Any ideas??

RESOLUTION HERE
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 07:58 AM by Ampa »

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Hi there,

I'd say that for some reason or another the slipstreamed XP SP2 cd you have is failing to detect your Core 2 Duo properly, but that much is obvious. Since we know XP should detect it correctly (afaik), there are two choices here:

1. If an OEM/Retail virgin copy of XP also doesn't detect your processor correctly (I suppose you can use the HAL selection to easily see if it did during initial install), then the slipstream you did is indeed missing something, like the multi-processor HAL maybe.
2. If the virgin XP install doesn't detect it either, update your BIOS if you haven't already.

Oh, and as far as you missing your original XP CD, I think you are best off to download it. Then use it with no key in trial mode, if you even need to get that far to verify if it detects your processor.

Maybe that helps.. maybe not ;p.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2007, 06:09 PM by db90h »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
This is a tricky area where mistakes can make a system completely unusable (without a clean reinstall), so be very careful.

Someone out in the 'net had success with a similar problem using the method described here:

http://forums.2cpu.c...?p=288810#post288810

I would at least take a look and see if the CD you're installing from has the files mentioned  (they might be packaged up in a .cab file on the install CD - most likely drivers.cab).

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
When you slipstreamed SP2 did you "mess" with the CD or just do a slipstream? If you just did a slipstream I'd say it's very unlikely that there would be any problem with the disc.

Download SP2 and install it again. If you're going to format and reinstall anyway it might be worth a shot.

It seems pretty conclusive that it is only recognizing 1 core, but for shits and giggles you might try this one last test. Open the task manager, right click on a process, and select "Set Affinity...". A box like this should come up...
Screenshot - 5_7_2007 , 7_58_15 PM.png
This is obviously a screenshot from Vista, but I think it should be the same in XP.

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Did any driver come with the motherboard? I think I needed to install drivers for my Athlon 64 x2 before XP could see the two cores.

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
db90h: Have downloaded another version of XP to try... and I get the same issue in the F5 Hal install menu... StandardPC or nothing.

So I guess that sort of proves that my hardware really isn't being recognised. (Though I am suprised that I can't force a different HAL even if the hardware isn't there... surely that is what forcing means?!).

As for updating the BIOS... The Abit USA site doesn't have any other BIOS, though the Abit TW site does have one small upgrade. However, I am unsure how to flash my BIOS when I don't have a floppy drive. More investigation required I guess.

mwb1100: This looks interesting, and not too dangerous, since I can ghost the partition before doing this.

I would need to identify which APIC / HAL my processor needs as there seem to be a number of options here...

• ACPI PIC-based PC
  • ACPI APIC-based PC (UniProcessor)
  • ACPI APIC-based PC (MultiProcessor)
  • MPS UniProcessor PC
  • MPS MultiProcessor PC

Hirudin: Sure enough, when I right click, I get no such option. I also found a freeware program called SMP SeeSaw which helps assign programs to specific cores, and it fails because it doesn't find the 2nd core. Conclusive proof I'd say.

Eóin: Yes, I did get a CD of drivers with the motherboard... I have examined it thoroughly. The menu offers drivers for LAN, Chipset + Onboard Audio, and a link for USB2 drivers (tells you to download SP2!). I have also googled and can find no mention of needing a driver.

Thanks for all the advice so far... Please keep the ideas coming!!

Ampa

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I dont know that bios but may you have disabled ACPI and APIC and so XP think computer is 7 years old? Should be enabled Better check it. Default setttings will be enabled, 1.4 or something.

Bios might not recognize that cpu properly but should not cause such confusion.

F5 or other trick should not be necessary unless perhaps bios figures cpu is 1 core. Try look at Abit forums, they have official one at their USA site.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 12:28 PM by dk70 »

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Device Manager - Processors - double click-driver - update driver

Let it check windows update

Also Control Panel-add hardware-see if there is a question mark or exclamation mark on processor-update driver via microsoft

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
dk70 & cmpm: Thanks for your additional suggestions.

Success!

Here's how...

The answer was staring me in the face all along - BUT Microsoft's XP installer has the worst interface I've ever seen!!

Hit F5 to enter the secret HAL menu and I could only see two options... BUT the other options were there all along - the screen only ever shows two, you have to scroll (using cursor keys) to see the other 6 options.

There is absolutely no indication of this anywhere on screen!!!

Utterly maddening - I have wasted 2 days going in circles because Microsoft didn't put all the options on screen, OR at least write "Scroll up / down for more options!"

Grrr - very happy that it works, very pissed off that it took this long.

Thanks again for all your helpful input DCers.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2007, 07:27 AM by Ampa »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 ;D ;D ;D

Glad to see you happy like that, Ampa ;)

wr975

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I recently upgraded to an E6320 and had no problem at all with installing Win XP SP2 (two cores, "ACPI-Multiprocessor-CPU"). Guess I've been lucky. :)

Anyway, I hope your performance issues are also resolved. If not, check out this update for XP SP2:

http://snipurl.com/DualCoreUpdate

dk70

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Ah, that was what I was going to post but was only 90% sure about details of scrolling problem. I tried the same may be 4 years ago, choices are practically hidden  8) Well you figured it out, think I had to look it up back then. Strange menu that is.

Unless you nlite the hxxx out of that XP cd it is still strange you should have to do F5. May be to do with bios settings or the fact it is not yet "compatible" with 6320, see Abit site for details. Usually not important with those cpu ids when they are almost identical but who knows.