ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

RESOLVED: Intel Core 2 Duo + WinXP SP2 problem: only single core detected / used

(1/3) > >>

Ampa:
I have bought new hardware, but am having great problems getting WinXP to use it correctly. I hope that one of DC's hardware gurus can shed some light on the problem...

Hardware
Mobo: Abit Il 9 Pro
CPU:  Intel Core 2 Duo E6320
RAM:  Corsair 2GB
HDs:  2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200 16MB 250GB
All bought as an upgrade kit from Komplett.co.uk

The Issue
WinXP SP2 doesn't detect / use the second core.

Issue verified by...

* Only one CPU graph in Task Manager > Performance (one graph per CPU is checked)
* Generally slow performance.
* CPU-z reads correct CPU info, but cores drop down is greyed out and only shows core 1.
* Device Manager > Computer = StandardPC (I believe that dual core would read ACPI of some variety)
Test eith Other OSes
Ubuntu and Vista both find and use both cores... but I can't use either as my RT.x100 video editing card, does not have drivers for either.

I found a forum post (I forget where), which suggests that a dual core must have an ACPI version of the kernel HAL, and suggests that this can be forced during install of WinXP by hitting F5. This brings up a text menu of different HALs.

When I press F5, my menu only contains two items... Standard PC with C-Step i486 (which I know doesn't work) and Other.

Other prompts me to insert a floppy with drivers... I have neither a floppy drive nor any driver to give it!

I have also tried changing the computer type via the control panel, but again get no options other than StandardPC.

My WinXP cd is a slipstream of my original (which I no longer have) and includes SP2. I suppose it is possible that I have removed something from it which is removing support for dual cores... I have no idea what!

Any ideas??

RESOLUTION HERE

db90h:
Hi there,

I'd say that for some reason or another the slipstreamed XP SP2 cd you have is failing to detect your Core 2 Duo properly, but that much is obvious. Since we know XP should detect it correctly (afaik), there are two choices here:

1. If an OEM/Retail virgin copy of XP also doesn't detect your processor correctly (I suppose you can use the HAL selection to easily see if it did during initial install), then the slipstream you did is indeed missing something, like the multi-processor HAL maybe.
2. If the virgin XP install doesn't detect it either, update your BIOS if you haven't already.

Oh, and as far as you missing your original XP CD, I think you are best off to download it. Then use it with no key in trial mode, if you even need to get that far to verify if it detects your processor.

Maybe that helps.. maybe not ;p.

mwb1100:
This is a tricky area where mistakes can make a system completely unusable (without a clean reinstall), so be very careful.

Someone out in the 'net had success with a similar problem using the method described here:

http://forums.2cpu.com/showthread.php?p=288810#post288810

I would at least take a look and see if the CD you're installing from has the files mentioned  (they might be packaged up in a .cab file on the install CD - most likely drivers.cab).

Hirudin:
When you slipstreamed SP2 did you "mess" with the CD or just do a slipstream? If you just did a slipstream I'd say it's very unlikely that there would be any problem with the disc.

Download SP2 and install it again. If you're going to format and reinstall anyway it might be worth a shot.

It seems pretty conclusive that it is only recognizing 1 core, but for shits and giggles you might try this one last test. Open the task manager, right click on a process, and select "Set Affinity...". A box like this should come up...

This is obviously a screenshot from Vista, but I think it should be the same in XP.

Eóin:
Did any driver come with the motherboard? I think I needed to install drivers for my Athlon 64 x2 before XP could see the two cores.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version