topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 1:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Pidgin 2.0 Review (updated open source instant messaging client - formerly GAIM)  (Read 5340 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
After months of development and numerous beta releases, Pidgin 2.0 is finally ready. A significant improvement over the current 1.5.x series, Pidgin 2.0 includes several compelling features and usability enhancements. Last year, we looked at the second beta release and concluded that much work still needed to be done. Many of the problems we discovered in the early Gaim 2.0 betas have since been resolved. The official Pidgin 2.0 release, available for download from the Pidgin web site, provides an impressive level of quality and reliability.

from http://www.osnews.com

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Seems like I remember GAIM having some multi-user functionality -- ability to switch profiles/users (and all associated accounts) without having to switch windows profiles.  With Pidgeon, this doesn't seem to be the case . . .

Other than that, it's definitely rebranded but don't see that drastic of core differences.  Of course, I'm not much of an IM'er, so.

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes, i checked it out, but i found it very similar to the last version of gaim, didn't quite get the point.
Well..The logo does look better, but it also appears to be the only change :P

Nighted

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
So does this actually compete with Miranda? Last time I tried Gaim, I quickly removed it as it was lacking many features I'd become accustomed to.
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.