topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: RPG Tower Defense flash game  (Read 4755 times)

BobBaker92

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
RPG Tower Defense flash game
« on: May 05, 2007, 06:13 AM »
Hello everyone, I just wanted to let you guys know about a game that i'm working on called RPG Tower Defense.  You can find it at http://www.eAlienSoft.com  it's the only game on there. My team and I would love for some feedback on our forums or on this post, i'll be checking it regularly.

Thanks

Bobby

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: RPG Tower Defense flash game
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 09:31 PM »
i thought i replied to this already but i think i closed my browser before i posted it.

First off, great start!  :up: :up:
It's no secret that i love tower defense games, and this one looks like it's going to be very good.

One of the tricky things to get right with the tower defense games is to make them easy to start, but have it so it really requires some strategy to do well..

We recently posted about one of very best tower games (Onslaught) and you should be sure to check it out, because it shows how to really make a game both easy to play but also "deep" in the sense of drawing you in to experiment with different strategies (https://www.donation...index.php?topic=8183).  I think that might be your biggest challenge at this point.

The idea of having different towers for different classes of enemies is interesting, but i couldn't quite figure out when i would use dif towers and where i would want to place them differently.. and the fact that each tower could get the same upgrades also made me feel like i wasnt as compelled to explore with different kinds of towers.

The ability for enemies to take different directions has a great potential i think (Curator Defense, another tower defense game, used this idea to great effect), but i couldn't figure out how the monsters in your game made their decisions.

So i guess my general feeling was it had great potential but i want to see more features and game design which makes me feel like i want to really explore to figure out different kinds of strategies..

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: RPG Tower Defense flash game
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 12:22 AM »
I agree with mouser. It's a good start.

I'm not sure how all the upgrades work and stuff, but there seemed to be a bug in which I would upgrade the range of all nearby towers, which, according to the tooltip should increase the range by 4, but they only increase by 2.

Also, it would be nice if there was some sort of way to know that when you clicked an upgrade button that it did anything. The tooltips don't update unless you click or move your mouse off and then back on.