ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Excel plugin to quickly export selection to text file (csv, tab-delimited, etc.)

<< < (2/3) > >>

superboyac:
Thanks AndyM, but the asap-utilities mentioned above were perfect for my needs.  They add an enormous amount of funcionality to Excel.

AndyM:
Thanks AndyM, but the asap-utilities mentioned above were perfect for my needs.  They add an enormous amount of funcionality to Excel.
-superboyac (May 07, 2007, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
I couldn't do without ASAP utilities (new version just available).  Keep in mind that the functions in ASAP can be used in macros as long as ASAP is active.

superboyac:
OK, here's another problem I just ran into.  I'm using a bunch of Unicode (UTF-8) characters in my excel file.  It looks fine in Excel, but when I export it as a tab-delimited file (using excel's "save as" or ASAP utilities) the text file replaces all of the unicode characters with "?".  Is there a way to have a tab-delimited text file with Unicode symbols in it?  If so, is there a way to convert from excel into a unicode text file?

superboyac:
OK, I found a workaround for this, if anyone is interested:

In ASAP-utilities, if you go into the export selection dialog, there are several options.  One of them is to export to a tab-delimited file, another is to copy the selection to the clipboard as a tab-delimited.  When I exported to a tab-delimited file, the Unicode characters showed up as "?", which didn't work.  When I copied it to a clipboard and pasted it into a text-editor, the Unicode characters showed up fine.  Weird.  They should fix that...whoever "they" is, I'm assuming Excel.

Curt:
superboyac;
I took the liberty to write the author of ASAP, quoting your first post as if it was my problem. Of course that is not the right way to do it, but I did. The answer came today:

Hello Curt,
Thank you for your email.

This is an Excel-specific problem, by default Excel converts all unicode characters to question marks (?) when you save the file in text format.

In Excel however there is also the option to save the file as a tab delimited text file (Save As and then choose Unicode Text). I will incorporate this in the new version of ASAP Utilities. Can you perhaps send me an example file I can test it with? I just ran some tests with russion text and that worked okay.

Kind regards,
Bastien Mensink
www.asap-utilities.com

--- End quote ---

If you will "answer" this mail by sending an Excel file with lots of Unicode characters to bastien at asap-utilities com, please - or perhaps send it to me, curt at webspeed dk? I have never used Excel myself, it was just part of this Office thing I thought I would need...

Some Unicode characters from my part of the world: æøå ÆØÅ ß

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version