ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A Very Simple Ethical Principle for Search: Google Fails Miserably

<< < (2/9) > >>

Lashiec:
* Crazy idea pops out *

Would it be possible to use either distributed computing or P2P protocols like BitTorrent to create a distributed search engine?

urlwolf:
* Crazy idea pops out *

Would it be possible to use either distributed computing or P2P protocols like BitTorrent to create a distributed search engine?
-Lashiec (May 04, 2007, 01:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

You mean using distributed CPU power/memory when computers are iddle, kind of like that extraterrestial life searching project?

One problem that I can see would parallelization. Not all algorithms can be parallellized. Not sure about google's. But many Information retrieval algorithms are hard to split into smaller memory sized in different machines.

I'm sure whatever google is doing can be parallellized... the sheer size of the dataset makes that a fact.

mouser:
In case it wasn't clear, i was being sarcastic and suggesting that yes, a search engine is one of those things best funded by citizens and kept out of the grand game of trying to maximize profits.  App may be right, that the alternative to a privatizes money-gobbling corporation running search engine is worse, i just can't help but think that some things are best taken out of this game of maximizing profits and just funded by the citizens for the benefit of the citizens at large.

Lashiec:
Some months ago I read an interesting article about creating a distributed Internet o_O. Seems like the page hosting it went down, so I searched for a copy, found in in this forum. Yeah, it's in Spanish, a copy in English for those who can't understand (not that Babelfish does a perfect job, but it's better than nothing). As I said the idea is quite interesting, but it seemed a bit utopian and impossible from a technical point of view, but you guys are more clever than me ;)

In case it wasn't clear, i was being sarcastic and suggesting that yes, a search engine is one of those things best funded by citizens and kept out of the grand game of trying to maximize profits.  App may be right, that the alternative to a privatizes money-gobbling corporation running search engine is worse, i just can't help but think that some things are best taken out of this game of maximizing profits and just funded by the citizens for the benefit of the citizens at large.
-mouser (May 04, 2007, 01:28 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sarcasm... wonderful thing, but considering that we have problems in Real Life to notice it, you can suppose how hard is in the Internet ;D

EDIT: 200 posts... I didn' take my screenshot :(

app103:
You could always use Scroogle and get the top 100 results without the garbage...and tracking.

Found on their donate page:
Showing Google's results without their ads is another political statement. About 99 percent of Google's total revenue comes from ads, and these are ruining the web. Thousands of "Made for AdSense" domains are spewing garbage. Since these sites need content to trigger Google's ads, they steal it by scraping legitimate sites, or generate their own by purchasing junk from bulk writers. Meanwhile, click fraud is rampant. Zombie botnets are used to click on ads. If you cannot afford to buy a botnet from some shady character, then you can contract with someone in a country where labor is cheap. They will hire people to click on ads all day at below-minimum wage.

It's time to stop pretending that Google's revenue model is anything more than a temporary bubble, and it's time for Google to start developing more socially-responsible sources of income. Showing Google's results without the ads amounts to more public-interest advocacy. It says that the web spam situation is intolerable.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version