topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:49 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: E Texteditor experiences?  (Read 18174 times)

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
E Texteditor experiences?
« on: May 04, 2007, 04:06 AM »
Looks like an interesting contender for the future:
etexteditor.png

I've been looking for a long time for something similar to textmate for windows after watching some RoR video's where the speed of developing in textmate became apparent :) The software doesn't  have an official release yet, but the screencast is interesting for sure. You can try out beta releases though and imho it could really take editing to a whole new level.

E is a new text editor for Windows, with powerful editing features and quite a few unique abilities. It makes manipulating text fast and easy, and lets you focus on your writing by automating all the manual work. You can extend it in any language, and by supporting TextMate bundles, it allows you to tap into a huge and active community
more interesting features

Effortless Productivity

Take control and make writing fun and fast again. Snippets automate tedious and repetitive typing, saving you time and effort. Powerful bundle commands transforms the text to your needs. By letting the computer do the manual work, you get the freedom to concentrate on your writing.
UNIX at your fingertips

You can leverage the full power of a unix scripting environment, right from within e. Close integration with cygwin gives you access to the full range of UNIX shell tools and lets you extend e with your choice of languages like Ruby, Perl, Python and more. If you have any task that could benefit from automation, you can be sure that e is up to it.
Customization

Make the editor fit the way you work. Everything in e from the syntax highlighting themes to bundle commands and keyboard shortcuts can be customized.
Community

TextMate is the award winning editor for MacOS X, that has revolutionized the way text editors work. By supporting TextMate bundles, e makes you part of a huge and vibrant community. Whatever task or language you need to work with, there is a good chance that someone has already made a bundle with all the needed adaptations.
Personal Revision Control

Most people have tried saving a document under all kind of "creative" names to keep track of old revisions. In e you can write and revise without worrying about losing your prior work.

You can commit regular milestones of your documents (with comments and labels), and track your progress with the combined timeline/graph in the History view.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 07:08 AM by justice »

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: E Texteditor experiences?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 04:25 AM »
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 06:56 AM »
Wow, the textmate bundle support took this to another level. Visit the E Text Editor Blog, too. I will definitely come back to this editor. I always love this feature in any software:

Everything in e from the syntax highlighting themes to bundle commands and keyboard shortcuts can be customized.

And here's their thinking on licensing:

When you register e, the license is bound to you, and not to one specific computer. This means that you can use you license on as many computers as you like. There is also no limit on platforms, so it will also be valid on future versions for Linux or any other OS.... The license is valid for one year (time in beta does not count). After that minor updates are free but there will be an upgrade fee for major updates (2.0).... There is no greater encouragement than when users show that they like the program enough to buy it. So to show how much I appreciate those who do register while it is still in beta, all licenses being bought during the beta period will be extended to include the next major update + one more year of free updates.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 07:02 AM by zridling »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 07:11 AM »
It was obvious to me that my editor had to live up to these new expectations and it seemed that my only options was to either reinvent or blatantly copy textmates features, neither of which seemed very honest or appealing to me.

Instead I choose a third option: compatibility and cooperation.

Cooperation vs Competition

I contacted Allan Odgaard, the creator of textmate, to set up a meeting. [...]
Allan was very positive about the prospect of me making the editor compatible with textmate, and he had no problems with me using the textmate bundles. Having more people, on more platforms, to use and improve the bundles, could only make them even more powerful and comprehensive.

Also...
I will keep working with Allan to ensure that e stays compatible with the textmate bundle system. He has a lot of really cool stuff lined up for version 2.0, so there is something to look forward to.

When the textmate compatibility is complete, I will return to the original goal. Using the power of the underlying revision control engine, to introduce features beyond what is seen in any other editor
(from the blog)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 07:12 AM by justice »

crono

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2007, 11:17 AM »
I use it since end of January on a daily basis. It totally rocks. Especially with the underlying cygwin integration is gold. Maybe Mouser could get a discount on it?

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2007, 11:47 AM »
I've been using it all morning and it's another animal. Just the diverse code snippets in every language alone is worth checking out. Wish it were $20 instead of $35 for now, but if you get in early, the author cuts you a break on one full upgrade. The tabs look exactly like Opera browser tabs.Heck, I even got it to open a 555M file.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 11:50 AM »
Here's a screenshot of the Edit Bundles dialog.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 11:52 AM by zridling »

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2007, 02:44 PM »
zridling, nice avatar!!! lol

:-*
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 07:16 AM »
You like my hot, sexy monkey-cleavage, eh?  ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 07:50 AM »
Brings new meaning to the term: "sexy beast"!

Nighted

• Joined in 2005
  • Meat Popsicle
    • View Profile
    • Nighted@deviantART
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 04:11 PM »
Yeah, that avatar pretty much killed this topic!  :D
I`m a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 12:04 PM »
How do I select say 5 lines and put some characters at the beginning of all those lines?
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 12:10 PM »
Watch the screencast on the home page. Just select ALT+click-n-drag to add text to the beginning or end of a line. CTRL+select (or click-n-drag) will add prefix or suffix text to individual words. It's cool.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 09:42 AM »
So how does this compare to, say Notepad++, TextPad, or other similar replacements?  Is it pretty much the same thing or different?  How?

crono

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 10:51 AM »
It replaced Notepad++ for me, because of the better RegEx Search & Replace Function. Notepad++ RegEx is based on Scintilla Regex implementation which is limited (for example, it supports no $1...9 in the replacement string). The other big plus is the Cygwin integration. If you are familiar with one scripting language (Perl, Ruby, Python...) you can do everything with "e" - this is the thing which makes me love this tool. If you are just looking for a "ready to use" Texteditor, I would stay with the more mature tools like Notepad++ because "e" lacks a lot of features right now...

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2007, 12:19 PM »
What crono said.

As a non-programmer, it's more than I could use since at most I do XML, HTML, and a lot of raw database work in my text editing. So far, I haven't found anything to beat UltraEdit in that last regard. But if I were programming, E would save a lot of time. Check back when version 2.0 comes out.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2007, 08:24 PM »
Okay.  May have to try UltraEdit from what I keep hearing here.  At work we use TextPad which is great for what I need, but it does cost.  NotePad++ seems to do just as well, but I haven't used it nearly as extensively.  Since I don't use RegEx that much (right now), comparing NotePad to UltraEdit and keeping an eye on E sounds like a good plan for now.  Thanks all.

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2007, 09:18 AM »
I've just discovered "e" and I think it's awesome.. Very powerful. When they have a more solid release out I might buy a license.

It's really nice, there are practically no toolbars, no icons (well at default like 1 max.. LOL), max space for coding/writing.. And you can set up some sexy colour themes  ;D
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:23 AM by mitzevo »

allen

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2007, 11:09 AM »
I'll admit straight out that it has been at least a month since I last tried it--but I found it a bit underwhelming, almost a teaser.  And already with a 35 dollar price tag?.

The built in version control seems pretty amazing for a simple text editor, and can see it being an amazing upgrade in a multiple user environment.  The text mate bundles are probably the biggest draw--but not so much for me.  The bottom line is probably simply that I'm not the target audience for e: I certainly don't "get" it. :)

mitzevo

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Control is power
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 01:19 AM »
Also take a look at InType... www.intype.info

InType is another clone of TextMate for Windows... I haven't had the chance to check it out yet but I read about it a little.
The clock is running. Make the most of today. Time waits for no man. Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.