topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 1:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help  (Read 344253 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help
« Reply #550 on: October 09, 2008, 09:35 PM »
Marking page 23 of this topic, here is the fully working Gecko update. (Not to sound like a download, just news)

Changes:

Fixed loading progress text bug
Added new options
Fixed focus not going to address bar
TONS of code updates
Code organization
Gecko 1.9 takes IE's place as rendering engine

Gecko 1.9 now brings:
More security
Faster loading times
More stability
Possible ability to run on non-Windows machines (with .NET hack)?
Small context menu

There was more changed, but thats off the top of my head. For right now, it is actually really usable. The only downside of going from IE to Gecko is that you need to have the Firefox flash plugin installed to view flash content (and that goes with all special content). Also, no idea how to enable firefox addon functionality, so don't expect that for a LONG time.

Lots more to add and lots of ideas, but so little time and knowledge to add them.

(I plan on putting a separate installer up for MB before SnapSuite 2009 is released, just for testing and to see what everyone thinks of it. Also, XtremeDraw has been dropped from SS09, as I lost the code on a dead hard drive :'().

As always, an image of the browser @ YouTube (showing that the flash plugin works). Click for full view (503kb) :)

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/5250/minibrowsefz0.png
SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FloorIt 2 Alpha 1 Download
« Reply #551 on: November 04, 2008, 12:19 AM »
BUMP!

Yea, I'm back. Its been a bit of a strange month, so not much going on. I decided to take yet another crack at an update to FloorIt, this time making it as good as I was able to with a minimal amount of time spent on it. I managed to get everything in this beta (see download below) complete within 180 minutes. I put past knowledge together with learned class lessons and ended up with a (IMO) very good outcome. It isn't the best code, but it is logical and isn't hard to follow (figure I might post it in the dev section to see what people think), and it uses system resources as well as I know how to make it at this point.

I crafted the GUI based off of Piriform's Defraggler (see comparison image here) and brought back Eusing as the registry cleaner.

Along with that, I am now using Smart Install Creator for (un)installing, and have a fully working update system (not included in this, because it is just a rough base of what the end result will be).

So enough chatter, if you want to see what you think about it, go ahead and download (don't forget to post back!) :)

-Brandon

Last minute addition for those whom download:
The red/orange/green colored balls indicate the status of FloorIt. A red ball indicates that it is idle, an orange ball indicates an error (that FloorIt has recovered from), and a green ball indicates that all systems are go and processing is underway.

All errors that are caught (no Windows error message) are shown below the computer/ball icons). While not very descriptive, they will help in case something does go wrong. Let me know if you get any [errors].

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #552 on: November 11, 2008, 12:26 PM »
Walt asked me to make a small, hotkey controllable media player. It would sound like a trivial task, but it took me about 4 hours to get where I am now, so I figured it was post-worthy (just images at this point). It has hotkey control (obviously), ID3 v1 tag support (most MP3s have v1 and up), and I am working on it acting more like a library based app and less like a "Build-a-player", as have been my previous shots at WMP based media players (PlayMe, MediaControl, etc).

For fellow programmers (and the tech minded): it uses an array, and only one global variable to keep RAM usage to a minimum. The array may be pulled as well, if I can keep the code clean without it.

I plan on adding a couple different "themes" and some options, as well as a lot more functionality. But right now it works, it's my first app in VB with keyboard global shortcuts, and is the cleanest media player I have made to date (excluding one TINY one I made for a friend, but that wasn't a anything near a full media player).

Thoughts, opinions and all that good stuff is welcome :)
-Brandon

Loki15

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #553 on: November 16, 2008, 09:21 PM »
And for  anyone wondering.. This was my recommendation of how I think the GUI should look, this is made by me for anyone wondering.
MediaPlayerGui copy.jpg

Note : I can make GUI's on request.  Just let me know and I'll send it to Brandon and see what he can do. :)
R.I.P Terry Winstel, you were a musician, a hero, and a well loved man.  But above all, you were my dad. Forever in my heart 1953-2009.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #554 on: November 17, 2008, 05:16 PM »
Just an update:

I've been busy the last few weeks so I haven't done much at all... the GUI plan Walt posted above is underway at a standstill currently, but I will get it done ASAP eventually. I've done a bunch of programming on the side in a seemingly random fashion, so I am in the process of somehow cleaning up all these random bits and pieces and making something usable out of them, but that may take a while. So don't expect anything from me anytime soon (I might be able to cram for NANY, though).

But I am still here, just a bit overstressed and overworked :P

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #555 on: November 27, 2008, 12:15 AM »
Alright, it is almost Thanksgiving here in the US - happy holidays everyone :)

I have setup a forum at my WikiDot site (http://wreckedcarzz.wikidot.com/) that I will try to keep maintained - no promises though. I have to setup a registration/login system still, but it [the forum] appears to be functioning and all that. It should include source code (I have been promising this for a while now), along with various sections to get help and for me to keep posting updates. Gotta love Web 2.0 :P

Visit the forum here: http://wreckedcarzz....idot.com/forum:start :D

EDIT: You can now sign up here: http://wreckedcarzz....idot.com/system:join
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 12:38 AM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #556 on: December 01, 2008, 07:54 PM »
FloorIt Beta 2 Update

----------

Alright, I've been struggling to keep up in school and program while I continue my little gamer life. 24 hours in a day is not enough. However, there is still hope!

Background information, somewhat interesting:
Spoiler
The evolution of things is kind of strange... EasyFix, EasySuite, SmartSuite, SnapSuite, SystemCare, and FloorIt all have (not that you would want to use any but the last 3) computer maintenance functionality. Each one has its varying level of idiotic setup (FloorIt is the first of my software to use Smart Install Maker(!)), each handles things differently, and each tries to handle user input effectively.

I am by no means any type of "good" programmer. I have lots of people, both locally (neighborhood, college (dad's classmates), school) and online that look up to me and are amazed at what I do - it is very very nice and I enjoy being able to help someone. But my skills are mediocre compated to anyone of high stature - if mouser (or someone else whom programs frequently here at DC) were to look at my code, I would expect a large series of laughs and interesting feedback. Well, I am working HARD to change that.

I doubt most have noticed, but in my DC sig I have linked to my wiki - in the forum there I post old code (VB, AHK, Gambas). It is somewhat embarrassing to go through and see just how badly (or well) I was able to code jury rig things to work.

Currently, I am most likely going to postpone all program release dates and go through and properly finish each and every app before releasing them.

The first program to begin this new cycle is FloorIt 2 - FloorIt was a good program but it seemed too crampt and didn't give enough user feedback. It didn't "feel" like a true program. FloorIt 2 has a much improved interface, however the code base is just horrible (the old beta and current beta versions). I am doing major debugging, cleaning and improvement right now and it is much more efficient and clean than before, with all features intact (and even several improvements).

The next release will be available on my Wiki tomorrow - stable or not. As of right now, I am making final code changes to make it more programmer-friendly. Under quick testing, I can not yet find any more bugs (there were several in the last version).

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #557 on: December 02, 2008, 08:01 PM »
Good grief, I am going to scream... I have spent the last 6 7 hours making an updater mechanism for FloorIt 2. My first fully working run JUST completed - I can see why people go insane now ;D

I figure I might as well give some information on how I set this up, as I managed to make it relatively simple for me to do:

I made 3 whole programs - one has been scrapped. Of the other two, one is the revised FI with the ability to update, and the other is called the "FloorIt 2 Update Manager". The update manager is something that only I (or, assuming I release code, any coder) will/can use to easily publish updates. It takes in information and sets it up in a text file (previously XML, that was a beach) and uploads it to the Mazecraze FTP server, where FI can download the data when checking for updates. I am going to work on making it compile new installers and more for me now, so I can stop worrying about installation files missing and stuff. It seems I left this on the Preview- I am done with the automatic setup routine now, and am testing it. If all goes well the new setup file will be available in just a few minutes (I will edit this post with the link).

Overall, it's a PITA, but I'm learning; slowly but surely.

FloorIt 2 will be uploaded (with/without update functionality, depends on how far I get this final portion complete) in a few hours minutes to http://wreckedcarzz.wikidot.com/

-Brandon

EDIT: Download the new version here, with support for updating and numerous bug fixes.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:37 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #558 on: January 05, 2009, 09:42 PM »
Alright, figured I should update this topic with some fresh info...

I have done my NANY program (updates to come, it isn't finished, but is completely usable as-is) MiniBrowseIE, however because I am just so nice (:P) I am not only re-doing my website to be more... not crappy, but am uploading just about all my code/projects for everything I have. Only a select few things were left out (mostly computer class stuff) - amongst the things are FloorIt 2's source code (!), FloorIt source code, SnapSuite 2009 source code (I'm not kidding here :tellme:), along with lots of other programs (both released and unreleased/personal apps). I do not think that any of them contain any code that is bad (I mean passwords/usernames - I have left out DownloadForever and UploadForever, along with Update Managers for FloorIt 2 & MiniBrowseIE because of this).

If you are someone I know (see and am familiar with) on the forum (Deozaan, Curt, etc - anyone that frequents the forum w/ a good post count), or anyone of authority (mouser, Carol, nudone, etc) and you, for whatever reason, want access at anything I haven't uploaded, your more than welcome to get it :)

If your wondering why I am posting all this info and free code: I love open source. For the end users, it is free software that has a large amount of programmers behind it, with lots of updates. For the programmers, you can find a program and help contribute to it, or take the source code and learn/build with it.

If you are going to make changes to anything I have uploaded, all that I ask is that you give me credit somewhere, and that you please send the updated code back to me - it helps me. I have TONS of dead projects on my hard drive because somewhere along the line I got stuck on X, Y or Z and just gave up. And if someone of greater knowledge can jump that hoop and then show me how they did, I can then apply that knowledge and possibly revive what would have been nothing more than dormant files.

Download. Code. Enjoy. Return. http://wreckedcarzz.....com/sourcecodeindex