topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help  (Read 344226 times)

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free computer help online (tune-ups, customization, etc)
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2007, 03:11 PM »
must be a grand thing to be young  :D

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2007, 03:31 PM »
Yea - May 25th or so till about August 20th is my summer break (I am out of district too; the kids around here get over a week less then me ;D)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2007, 03:46 PM »
Yeah, by my reckoning your break is at least two weeks longer than I used to get  :mad: I grew up in the wrong area, obviously!

EDIT: BTW, I think it's fanastic that you're using your time and energy productively and in an attempt to help others!  :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 03:48 PM by Darwin »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2007, 03:51 PM »
Programs! They are here!

OK, here are the 2 maintenance programs described earlier in the thread.

Please note - you MUST run the Setup program first (unless you already have all 6 programs installed in their default locations).

If you run into a problem be sure to simply post here in this topic and I will work to get it resolved as quickly as possible.

When you are running the AutoMaintenance program itself, you may leave your PC. It is not necessary to simply sit and watch it work (unless you are interested). It will run 100% on its own and (as far as I know) will take care of any dialog boxes or anything else. You do need to read the opening dialog box on the first run, however - it contains important information.

DonationCredits are requested - but (seriously) don't go out of your way to give me any. I understand peoples financial situations and, after all, this is a free program - you aren't going to get better treatment or "priority" help for donations.

Thanks everyone for testing/using my program and I hope it becomes an easy way to take care of your PC.
-Brandon

(Note: This is just a normal tune-up type program - for special stuff like making startup faster, updating programs, removing viruses or spyware, or anything like that, contact me via PM.)

P.S. Thanks Darwin!

!IMPORTANT! - The AutoMaintenance program only works on the 1280x1024 resolution! A 1024x768 resolution version will be released in the next day or so.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2007, 08:55 PM by wreckedcarzz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2007, 09:10 AM »
Wise Registry Cleaner was updated today, so maybe you should tell if your Setup program automatically will grab the newest versions, please?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2007, 02:22 PM »
Yea I will update the setup program now and post an updated version. If you already have Wise Registry Cleaner it will notify you and provide a download link if you open it manually. Thanks for the info Curt!

Edit: Scratch that, Wise Registry Cleaner has the same download link for all newer versions.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2007, 02:24 PM by wreckedcarzz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2007, 04:35 PM »
I ran Wise Registry Cleaner, "Safe"s only, and now one program won't work at all, and another must be started, closed and restarted, before working. Guess the Cleaner is not all that wise?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2007, 09:37 PM »
Oh dear- hmm...
Yes, lets look for a better solution there also (I had no problems with it, but thats my PCs).
Use the Undo function to repair your system to original and I will look for a better registry cleaner and hopefully have one up asap.
-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2007, 10:40 PM »
YES!
I have found a better (and more user friendly) program. It takes less work to setup, and seems to scan faster and easier.

There are 3 files attatched to this...

1 is the new setup (for new users)
2 is the Upgrade for our existing users (untested, but I am about to do so)
3 is the new AutoMaintenance file. CURRENT USERS - THIS DOES NOT NEED TO BE DOWNLOADED MANUALLY! The upgrade file will take care of that.

As always, I have made it as user friendly as I can, with most automated in the setup/upgrade. The AutoMaintenance itself is still 100% automatic :)

Update: The problems have been resolved and all 3 programs are bug-free. Sorry again for the inconvenience all.

Program update: The final update has been released. The updater will reflect this and the new program is below.

Get the 1.2 version either in the below post or by simply clicking here: https://www.donation...=8345.0;attach=19099
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 04:56 PM by wreckedcarzz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: June 17, 2007, 01:47 AM »

!IMPORTANT! - The AutoMaintenance program only works on the 1280x1024 resolution! A 1024x768 resolution version will be released in the next day or so.
-wreckedcarzz (June 15, 2007, 03:51 PM)

Update: The problems have been resolved and all 3 programs are bug-free. Sorry again for the inconvenience all.
-wreckedcarzz (June 16, 2007, 10:40 PM)

Still resolution limitations?
 :tellme:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2007, 08:30 AM »
AHH; yes I am sorry about that - I worked on it until 1AM last night (it is 6AM now...so yea - not much sleep). That, as well as 1 more bug, HAS been resolved (forgive my misleading "bug-free" statement :P). It should NOW work properly on all computers, but I am not 100% sure.

Download below

If you are using the new version and are going to try to help me out with fixing some problems...
Specifically I just need to know if the programs wait to long to to something (the timers need to DECREASE) or if it does the next program before finishing (the timers need to INCREASE) or if it clicks in the wrong place on your resolution or (most likely) the new registry optimizer fails. The last scenario I have encountered numerous times - the program will fail to optimize a registry hive and will say so, but require the user to say Yes (continue on with the next one) or No (cancel all optimization). If this occurs you may see some odd results...try to catch it quickly as you don't want it popping up and AutoMaintenance's timer runs out (because the program SHOULD be done) and it tells it to restart (several keystrokes). This (I *think*) is caused by the fact that it is already fragment-free - so only run this like once a week.

If you have version 1.1, just replace your CompuTech AutoMaintenance.exe with this new one (BETA Version 1.2).

Times:
Just so everyone knows how long this process takes, here is the timing of all the programs (and the process basically)...it took some work NOT typing in AHK ;D
If you don't understand this - copy, paste and print out this post, then run the program and watch/read.

CCleaner - open
Wait 1 sec
Run Cleaner
Wait 10 sec
CleanUp! - open
Wait 2.5 sec
CleanUp!
Wait 10 sec
Close
Wait 1 sec
'No' to logoff prompt
Eusing Free Registry Cleaner - open
Wait 1 sec
Close registration box
Wait 1 sec
Start scan
Wait 1 1/2 min (90 sec)
Repair
Wait 60 sec
Exit
IObit Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal - open
Wait 10 sec
Click Scan
Wait 4 minutes (240 sec)
Click Repair
Wait 45 sec
Click Close
IObit SmartDefrag Beta 3 - open
Wait 1.5 sec
Click Manual Defrag
Wait .5 sec
Click Defrag All Volumes
Wait 10 min (600 seconds)
Click Close (on the View Report/Close box)
Wait .5 sec
Click 'X' (the little X to close the window)
NT Registry Optimizer - open
Wait 1 sec
Start optimization
Wait 2 min (120 sec)
Restart PC

Enjoy!
-Brandon
« Last Edit: June 17, 2007, 04:46 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2007, 05:56 PM »
Has anyone else got a number of memory errors during the registry scan? One of my desktops get anywhere form 1-15 errors during the scan...I plan on doing a reinstall but want to see if anyone else has gotten this problem.
-Brandon

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2007, 06:39 PM »
Some programs can be updated by installing the new version on top of the old, but some cannot - and some will even accept the same version to be installed at top, but again some will not. I think it would be good to know which programs must be removed before installing AutoMaintenance.exe. I have not installed your collection because I already have most of the programs, but don't know which to remove or keep - plus that I don't like the idea of running CCleaner without first adjusting the settings.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2007, 01:05 AM »
Right - CCleaner updates can be installed right over the old install, but some like IObit's Advanced WindowsCare, run the uninstaller before letting you install the new version. No programs have to be uninstalled before installing the AutoMaintenance app- if you already have CCleaner 1.4.0 (or what the new version is, I can't remember off the top of my head) then when the setup program goes to the download, simply cancel the download and skip the instructions until the next program download appears. Also, you configure the programs during the setup program - I have it tell you the settings I recommend for best performance/cleanest system, but you can set any options you would like - simply ignore the messages.

Currently, the AutoMaintenance app uses the following programs (you can uninstall any old versions/all of them if you like, simply to ensure the most up-to-date programs, or to avoid installing a program twice).

CCleaner
Windows CleanUp!
Eusing Free Registry Cleaner
IObit Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal
IObit SmartDefrag Beta 3
NTREGOPT (NT Registry Optimizer)

FYI: I have no connection to any of these companies, just if anyone was wondering. The programs just seem to do the best job in the most user-friendly manner and in a short period of time. I change programs if they go bad/become "adware" or "spyware" supported, become shareware, or any other problems. Just wanted to let everyone know that, some people may be suspicious as to why I pick these specific applications.

-Brandon

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2007, 02:47 AM »
Brandon

for what it's worth -

CCleaner if i remember rightly has some fairly aggressive approaches in it's default setup - or maybe I dont remember rightly ??
I do remember though it erasing my startup options that I had simply disabled with Starter (Code Stuff)
After that I used EasyClean

as I say it's just a memory now :) but just thought I'd mention it in case
Tom

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2007, 01:11 PM »
I haven't personally experienced problems with it - with Windows Vista I have had some odd bugs though, but I haven't really linked them to a source yet. I just (right now) looked through CCleaner's list of things to clean/delete and I didn't see anything about startup options (unless it fixed them in the registry cleaning part).

If you just use the Cleaner part of the program, then check for and install any updates and see if that fixes it.

If you use the registry cleaner part of the program, then make sure your running the newest version, if not then update and check to see if it is fixed, otherwise if you have the new version and it still does it then open up CCleaner, click the little Issues tab (with the big registry icon block thing) and uncheck the "Run at Startup" scan. Then see if that works.

I will look at EasyClean - see if that does a better job then CCleaner.

-Brandon

EDIT: I found a program called EasyCleaner, and it looked like a really good program but I can't test/use it because it isn't compatible with Windows Vista :(. And it apparantly hasn't been updated in a while, as the website shows (according the the site, he uses the Sygate firewall, and I also used that before Norton bought Sygate about 2 years or so ago (maybe 3, I'm not really sure).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 01:23 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2007, 09:44 PM »
Bump/info/input requested post...

I am looking at changing the registry cleaner back, as the current one doesn't seem to do as good of a job (correct me if I am wrong). Should it stay as-is or change back to Free Registry Cleaner? Or maybe even try the one in CCleaner?

I am thinking about changing the IObit SmartDefrag to JkDefrag. JkDefrag is a lot smaller, more configurable and easier to use, but I don't know how good of a job it does (I am testing it on my desktop computer at the moment).

Anyways, anyone in need of repair or anything? I have been working on my computers here at home a lot lately, and (As soon as I say this its going to come back and bite me...) I now have a couple of days open if anyone needs help.

As far as hardware goes, I can now help out with buying/installing/exchanging:
RAM
Graphics Cards (AGP and PCIe)
Power Supply Units
Optical Drives
Hard Drives
Setup Wireless/Wired LAN networks (I am not sure about Static IPs, however) (this can be done remotely, via CrossLoop)
and others (sound cards, for example).

And as far as Linux/Windows goes,
I can now help you upgrade and get used to Windows Vista/some Linux distributions and get ready for a PC crash or disaster. (These have to be explained through Instant Messages, because I can't remotely insert RAM, install an operating system, or format a hard drive :P).

Happy computing,
-Brandon

EDIT: And also you can add me onto your AIM (AOL Instant Messenger)/WLM (Windows Live Messenger)/Yahoo!/Xfire buddy lists. I use Pidgin (http://www.pidgin.im/) and I am almost always online on all of the above (unless I am sleeping or away).
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 09:46 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2007, 02:45 PM »
I decided to take a break from Maze Craze and work on the AutoMaintenance program (and the setup).
In the last 2 hours I have re-written both of them and am finalizing and testing them now. If all goes well (gulp :P) then the whole thing will give less-intrusive information, more information, both the setup and maintenance itself will be automated, and it should run much better.
*Crosses Fingers*
Lets hope...
-Brandon

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2007, 04:47 PM »
Brandon; on the Maze Craze Homepage you link to http://www.headlightsoftwareinc.com/ - but none of my browsers can find that page. Is the company / server dead, or the link wrong?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 04:48 PM by Curt »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2007, 05:28 PM »
The link is wrong, unfortunately, however I am launching a new site version shortly and that fixes this problem. :) The real link is http://www.headlightinc.com/ :-[
My mistake

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: July 16, 2007, 01:08 PM »
OK, I have come to announce, that after 2 days of almost non-stop work, with a pulsing headache, I have recoded the entire AutoMaintenance application 2x. Originally it was much more compact, but now it has a full GUI and tells you how to do everything to get started. Most of it is tested, and as far as I can tell there should be no problems. How this new version works is:

It explains everything in plain english at the top of the program window.
It has 3 steps to get started.
You now just click on the Download buttons and save the setups to your desktop (NOTE: The IObit program links may be dead, I looked and looked and there are like 2 mirrors total and it changes randomly. I am trying to fix this.)
The installers are just 1-click. Click the button, and it installs by itself.
You can now run the Automatic Maintenance Cycle or run programs manually.
It sits in your tray after closing- good to run at startup and when your done open it up and have it run a cycle.

All I need now is an icon, and I think it will be complete.

(Note: Yes, this version does download the new CCleaner version also)

After I find a free-to-use icon and apply it, I will edit this post with the program attached.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: July 16, 2007, 01:32 PM »
Will it search for copies of the relevant programs on the PC before searching the Internet? I guess not. Maybe then, it will be a good idea - instead of just editing the previous post - to also tell what programs now are part of AutoMaintenance ?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: July 16, 2007, 01:39 PM »
The same programs are included, and the download process is no longer automated (so if your on dial-up or if you have programs a b r and d but not e and t).

The same programs are downloaded (if needed), here is the list:

CCleaner
CleanUp!
Eusing Free Registry Cleaner
IObit Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal
IObit SmartDefrag
NTREGOPT
and I may include support for automatic Microsoft/Windows update, but not in this release.

If you have, say CCleaner and Eusing, and need the rest, just click the buttons to download the ones you need, then once they are downloaded, click the buttons to install them. Simple as that.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2007, 02:53 PM »
OK, here it is- for the first time ever having its own icon, too! ;D

I would recommend simply setting it to run at startup, then closing the GUI interface until needed. It can be re-opened by double clicking the icon in the system tray.

Hope this helps people out.

Known bug: This has the same old bug with the clicking problem, so it wont run the IObit programs correctly. You will have to manually click those- I will have this fixed soon. It works fine in 1280x1024, so on most LCDs no problem should appear.

I have fixed the bug, so it is now compatible regardless of screen resolution!

PLEASE DOWNLOAD THE NEW VERSION ON THE NEXT PAGE!!!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 07:17 PM by wreckedcarzz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2007, 03:12 PM »
...after 2 days of almost non-stop work, with a pulsing headache...
-wreckedcarzz (July 16, 2007, 01:08 PM)
You need App's Instant Boss so you takes your breaks  :P

Congrats on getting that out Brandon :up:

will have a look
as time goes by though, I find the list of things I need to do for/to my computer gets longer & longer -
all of which probably means I'm a prime candidate for using this  :D
Tom