topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:15 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help  (Read 345383 times)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free computer help online/CompuTech (my) programs
« Reply #350 on: March 08, 2008, 05:30 PM »
News update: Possible change in anti-virus system, new bug found.

Antivirus change:

A bug has been found in the current Trend Micro antivirus scanner when ran under SnapSuite, so I have been surfing around looking for a new scanner. It looks like the BitDefender online scanner, http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html, will be the replacement.

New bug: Hitting "Enter" to activate a SmartBrowse URL now clears history instead of browsing to the URL.

This is due to the click location I set in AutoHotkey, and not a software problem. I am fixing this now.

Expect an update soon.

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #351 on: March 08, 2008, 08:58 PM »
Fresh build uploading now, has new BitDefender scanner (BETA) and bugfix for Enter problem.

Run, Update, Enjoy :)

-Brandon

EDIT: Visual Basic didn't save my changes on the BitDefender, so I must fix that now too. :(

EDIT 2: Don't download, I have to re-upload...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 09:02 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #352 on: March 09, 2008, 06:44 PM »
Alright, I have no idea what I am doing or what is going on. Right now my brain is about as intelligent as a boulder.

I am trying to develop a better download, install, and uninstall system for deployment, as there are countless problems with Microsoft's built in publishing system. What I plan to do is publish via VB, and take the files out and offer a custom installer as well as a fully portable version. However problems may occur and bla bla bla...so don't take this as a final word. Files on the server may be screwy, and SnapSuite may malfunction and try to update and fail and...well, essentially, we have issues. Bottom line: Don't run SnapSuite if you don't have to for the next day or two as I fix this mess.

I am sorry for all this crap going on, but I am working to get it fixed. Just please hang tight :Thmbsup:

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #353 on: March 09, 2008, 11:21 PM »
Alright, a huge change in how things are done, and hopefully the transition will go smoothly.

I am now using the open-source install creator Inno Setup. This will do the following things:

Pros:
Easier install, more options. User now has program installed to \Program Files\SnapSuite 2008
Smaller file
Less problems with install (error messages)
Less bandwith usage on the DCISV server

Cons:
Auto-update function lost
Takes slightly longer to install

I am hoping to get a new auto-updater (or some type or update notification) working here soon

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #354 on: March 09, 2008, 11:39 PM »
I am hoping to get a new auto-updater (or some type or update notification) working here soon
-wreckedcarzz (March 09, 2008, 11:21 PM)

Make it compatible with DCUpdater.  :Thmbsup:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #355 on: March 09, 2008, 11:41 PM »
Ironically, that has been planned for a while now. I hope to learn how to set it up so that I can get it working.

And as a side note, MediaControl is now working with viewing audio files perfectly (so far), and I am testing video now!! :tellme: :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MediaControl gets things done, either way you choose
« Reply #356 on: March 10, 2008, 05:42 PM »
Alright, I am finishing up converting to the traditional type of updating system we have at DC (pre-DCUpdater, that is) and I am trying my best to make sure that people can easily stay updated without having to check the forum.

As far as "Why update this time? There hasn't been anything interesting lately, so why now?" I have a reason that may push you over the edge, just to check it out. You will really dig this if you like minimalistic things.

Info:
MediaControl was meant, on original design in AHK, to playback music in a super-simple, basic, and low-overhead manner. Video was also planned, but none of this was ever added. I was able to get it to play music, and with work it could have been done and released, but with the upgrade to Visual Basic, it has become one of my main goals (and reasons for switching).

While never planned to be anything fancy, I am the person that loves the "OOh...Ahh..." type of visual design. It has to work, but it HAS to look good while it does it. Otherwise you get this Windows 95 color scheme going on, and that just isn't cool anymore. Seriously. (Just my opinion)

This new version enables playback of both AUDIO and VIDEO, BUILT IN to the MediaControl interface. It works on Windows XP SP2, and Windows Vista (latest updates on both, no beta SPs). I had no trouble with the interface on either system, HOWEVER it WILL lag on single-core CPUs when playing other media on Vista (TV, for example) and if you are doing CPU-intensive items (so don't try to watch a season of your favorite TV show while you have SystemCare fix your PC and you browse the net in SmartBrowse, unless you have dual or quad core).

I am very excited about this update, and very proud of myself. I have been showing it off to everyone all day, and have gotten all positive feedback. I hope everyone here that tries it (when I release the update) feels the same (although constructive criticism is always welcome!). :)

(See screenshots below) (NOTE: I do know the "Video Playback" image says "Playing 'The Simpsons'", because it was recorded under the name of "The Simpsons", but a schedule change made the recording time record the wrong show)

-Brandon

EDIT: The interface has been cleaned up (volume buttons removed) and the program is now much smaller (about 1.2MB). This means a smaller/faster download, faster install, and faster program start time! :)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 06:18 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #357 on: March 10, 2008, 10:56 PM »
Alright, the latest update is now live! The "Start" tab has become "News" and tells you the program version, and has a small WebBrowser component that loads a webpage allowing you to get the newest update. This will hopefully be changed to have DCUpdater support sometime later.

The new permalink for stable SnapSuite updates is http://mazecraze.dci...m/SnapSuite 2008.exe (the same link as the updater).

I have been really stressed the past couple of days, so I am getting this off my back to allow me to vent something off my to-do list. Please report back how you feel about this update! :)

-Brandon

(Download here: http://mazecraze.dci...m/SnapSuite 2008.exe)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #358 on: March 12, 2008, 12:34 AM »
Several changes since yesterdays release, all for the better

New, super optimized SnapScreen process - no more external AHK exe needed (100% VB managed)!
New tray icon added (no menu, but its an improvement)
New "Vista" type background added
Lots of code removed and/or organized
New code comments added for better recognition later
There was something else big but I don't remember what it was...it was important too... :-\

I have a quite lengthy to-do list left, but it has all the changes and things I want to do on it, so just over a page of items isn't that bad. It started at like 6 pages.

I have a couple final things I want to do for the final 1.0 release, and I will have to learn how to use some programs and work together with my friend Walt (whom knows how to use the program I need quite well). No details yet, because I am afraid if I say something, I won't be able to complete it. Trust me, if all goes well, it will be impressive. IF all goes well.

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #359 on: March 13, 2008, 07:39 PM »
IMPORTANT: SystemCare bug - urgent problem

I have found a bug that causes SnapSuite to not open the included SystemCare files (other files may have this problem, I am not sure at this time). No fix is yet available. You can get a a temporary "repair kit" from the following link

http://mazecraze.dci...v.com/repair kit.zip

That will allow you to manually do most of what SystemCare does, but not everything.

I am going to work on this and see what exactly happened to try and fix this ASAP.

I apologize if this has happened to you (my laptop is not effected, but my desktop is, as is a person's computer I was working on today), however it does not appear to be a consistent problem, so repairing it may prove difficult. Please hang tight. :Thmbsup:

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #360 on: March 13, 2008, 11:13 PM »
OK, all fixed. No clue what happened exactly, as I am too exhausted to remember what I did 10 minutes ago. External EXEs are now working, and a new setup file is uploaded. The update feed is also updated to notify users of the fix.

Download away: http://mazecraze.dci...m/SnapSuite 2008.exe

-Brandon

P.S.: Donations are greatly appreciated, as I am saving up money to purchase myself some new computer components. If you like my program, please try to donate. Even $1 helps. :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #361 on: March 19, 2008, 06:39 PM »
Alright, I found the bug! It was a tricky little one, but it is all squished now :P

All programs will now open correctly (I have given it a quick testing to verify it, and scanned the code about 8 times while building and testing and rebuilding and retesting)...

Well, I am going to be totally honest. There is nothing interesting in this update. It is just a minor update and bugfix. (I am fixing lots of little known quirks as I type this post - nothing that could be noticed unless you had the code, but nonetheless)

I hope that this is a good and bug-free release, although I know it is not. I always find something wrong after I upload a new version, so expect another post in the near future explaining the new problem and what can be done to temporarily fix it ;D

In all seriousness, though, I hope this works well for everyone this time around. I know stuff like this can be annoying.

You can follow the usual NEW updater process via opening SnapSuite and clicking the Update link on the front page and updating, OR by going to http://www.incredisims.com/ and getting the new setup manually.

Hope you enjoy!

-Brandon

NOTE: The update IS NOW LIVE! :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2008, 06:53 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #362 on: March 21, 2008, 12:38 AM »
After a brutal undertaking of organization, I am happy to say that I will be able to much more efficiently and easily work with the SnapSuite programming files (and everything else linked in, like icons, AHK files, dlls...). It was a total guess-and-check process, but it allowed me to get rid of a ton of unneeded things that VB had pointlessly created (no, I did not break SnapSuite either - I am running it right now :)), and let me better organize myself to get to things quicker and more simply. :)

Not much going on development-wise, just checking for bugs/errors and trying to find out if I can really execute my far-fetched want to make a "SnapSuite - Linux Edition". Xubuntu is on my portable USB drive, so we shall see...maybe...

(if anyone knows anything about basic Linux programming, any help would be make me unspeakably grateful)

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #363 on: March 21, 2008, 01:19 AM »
ALRIGHT! I don't like to double post (although I do it often) but this has been driving me insane for the last week and a half (and I just about ripped my hair out about 20 minutes ago)- I can now say that I have DcUpdater support for SnapSuite! :D

This is going to be a bit of a pain to remember to update the version info and whatnot every time, but it should make updates a whole lot easier on everyone else. I have made a "checklist" file that I am going to follow when I do updates now, so that I don't have to go back and do 10 steps again.

I will NOT be posting the update today (Friday) and most likely not Saturday either - if you use DcUppdater and want to try it out for yourself, I can send you the .dcupdater file if you want (I don't see why anyone would want this, but you never know). I just want to make sure everything is working before I rush out and say "Here you go!" :)

EDIT: Yes, I am on version 2.3. Everyone else is on 2.2 - that is not a typo.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #364 on: March 21, 2008, 08:39 AM »
congrats  :Thmbsup:

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #365 on: March 21, 2008, 06:37 PM »
Thanks mouser (obviously disregard that PM I sent you) :)

On a related note, FastNote can now open text files into the editing box! (I was about to give up and remove FastNote altogether, and leave it as a dead idea)

Using some code I found by complete chance, I changed it to fit what I need to do and made up a sample, three line text file, and FastNote loaded it up without problem!

I may be able to have Saving capabilities ready as well by later tonight - I will post as I learn and progress :)

Wish me luck!

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Exciting GUI news for graphic lovers
« Reply #366 on: March 22, 2008, 12:54 AM »
Update: I have not achieved anything else as far as FastNote goes, however the new "QuickStart" tab (replacement for News) has given SnapSuite a much-needed facelift. Using new ideas and settings and a large amount of tweaking, this tab will appear on SnapSuite launch and allow you to easily and quickly access whatever component you need. What is better, I made the entire program GUI larger to support the 256x256 icons that let you tell at-a-glance what the component does. For instance, SystemCare has a program with gears, SmartBrowse has a PC next to the globe, and AutoType has a chat bubble. This larger size allows more space to add items, and a roomier and more welcoming environment. :D The only downside to this is that it is now just barely too large for 800x600 resolutions now - sorry to those whom are still running low-res. :(

I am planning on renovating the entire program GUI with new, resized icons, better positioned buttons, easier to read text, and other small improvements. Settings are soon to follow. :D

I am down to ~23 more items on my to-do list before SnapSuite is complete for the Win32 2008 edition - the 2009 version already has over 15 new component ideas and counting! :tellme:

-Brandon

EDIT: Screenshots soon to come!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #367 on: March 23, 2008, 04:32 PM »
OK - here is a preview image of the new "QuickStart", the opening tab of SnapSuite.

I do understand that the buttons may be a *bit* oversized (256x256) so I may bump them down to 1/2 size (128x128).

The interface looks good IMO, but the text can use some editing and whatnot, but the buttons are fully functional (so if I was to release this right now, you could download it and use the buttons to access the tabs).

Image: http://img390.images...00/quickstartxl8.jpg

(Note: SmartBrowse, SnapScreen and SystemCare are not pictured here)

:feedback:

-Brandon

jazper

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Jazper's Software
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #368 on: March 23, 2008, 05:27 PM »
I don't really care for the text on those buttons, it's kind of hard to see it and just doesn't really work.  You should just create a Hint Tip so when they hover over the button that text is displayed.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #369 on: March 23, 2008, 05:43 PM »
OK, I will look into making tooltips for the buttons. Thanks for the idea! :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #370 on: March 24, 2008, 02:19 AM »
The tooltips have been added, and the button text changed to a larger point font, but only the names remain - placed in the bottom right hand corner for visual effect.

Screenshots to follow.

Any more ideas? :) :tellme: :)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #371 on: March 25, 2008, 06:53 PM »
Few improvements, some stuff changed, not a lot, but it works.

The latest version (BETA) can be had here: http://mazecraze.dci...ite 2008 Private.exe :)

It has the new button configuration as well as some font changes and a few other things. Nothing to get overly excited about.

Oh, AutoType hotkeys work now - you have to have SnapSuite as the active window, but you can be on any tab - it hides SnapSuite, then sends the text to the window behind it, then brings SnapSuite back. Not the best setup, but they work. :-\

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #372 on: March 26, 2008, 12:12 PM »
In the process of "repairing" the somewhat crappy GUI, I have gone on a deletion spree and had to ask Wordzilla to help me repair my Startup Form (or lack thereof). :-[ All is fixed though now. :)

(If you don't know, a "Startup Form" is the window that opens when you run a program ;))

I am going to dive into the SystemCare interface next, as I think that is what most people use SnapSuite for anyways. I hope to set it up so that is it more "comfortable" for most people to use. (You don't have to pause and ask yourself, wait, what does this really do?)

I personally hate the current setup, as it is nothing but buttons - default buttons in a typical tabbed layout. It works, but thats about all you can say for it.

So basically, I will try to push an update through DcUpdater late this week/end and see how it works. :)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 12:14 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New GUI for SystemCare - lots of room for additional items
« Reply #373 on: March 26, 2008, 01:54 PM »
OK, I have a new idea for the GUI setup, screenshots attached, opinions requested :)

I moved everything into a more easy-to-understand setup on the main page, and the second page is now organized (I may put the virus scanner web browser into that large space on the right, but I am not sure yet).

Note the black background by the way - it is a hint to another thing I am working on. ;)

EDIT: Also, I am working on several more options for SystemCare, so this will NOT be the final GUI, but it may be very close to it. There will be more tabs and options, etc.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 01:57 PM by wreckedcarzz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #374 on: March 26, 2008, 03:47 PM »
:up: well it looks great :)

if you keep going at this rate we wont need to install any other software on our computers ;)
is the current beta or whatever at the main site -
or again I prob should wait a little ?
Tom