ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Announce Your Software/Service/Product

SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help

<< < (66/112) > >>

mouser:
i would encourage all authors of programs that do system work to decide, is your tool ever going to be used by novices who arent computer experts? if so then you have to do everything in your power to make it impossible for them to do harm to their pc.

you are going to set yourself up for some real pain when people start emailing you asking why program X no longer works on their pc because you "cleaned" something like an empty folder from the program when it expects it to be there, etc.

avoid any operation that could break something.

wreckedcarzz:
(Mouser posted somewhat generically, but below is my personal situation)

That is what I am to make my primary audience, basic PC users. Turn it on and it works.

Personally, I haven't had any issues yet (and I have very few tech-savvy people I ask to test, apart from people here at DC) with computer programs/hardware malfunctioning, but yes that is a concern. But it is impossible to make sure that every combination of programs and hardware will work with what I run every time no matter what.

IMO, the simpler it is to the user, the less harm they themselves can do, so the chance of damage declines. No options to worry about, no 100 checkboxes to look over, just run it and it works. That is the idea.

As per DelEmpty, I will distribute the above version, however it will be in the Advanced section so that most users won't worry about it (or ever see it).

wreckedcarzz:
OK, little update. I have not worked much on SnapSuite due to large amounts of other boring things to do that must, unfortunately, take priority.

I have made a small logo in my media technology class that I think is quite nice, and I might put it on the website if I can't make something better in a short amount of time. It is just my initials (BS) in an ice-type of display. You can view it here... http://mazecraze.dcisv.com/Logo.png

Other than that, I have made this tiny AHK program "EasyFix" that simply runs Disk Cleanup, Checkdisk and JkDefrag, and gives the user a list of things they can do to clean up their PC. It is meant to be run pre-setup to SnapSuite. You can download it from the updated website... http://incredisims.com/default.aspx

-Brandon

wreckedcarzz:
Also, I just added a much-requested feature from some friends at school: the ability to clean up SmartBrowse internet traces. It REQUIRES IE7 to be installed, but it works like a charm. One click and all traces are deleted.

Here is an image of the added button, I unfortunately had to shorten the URL bar but I don't think it will bug anyone too bad...
Image: http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7259/screenshot221200880231pbb8.png

wreckedcarzz:
Alright, I am still kind of stalling out on updating SnapSuite, but I will probably do so either tonight or tomorrow (as a stable release, not beta). I have late start in school tomorrow and Wednesday (AIMS standardized testing) so expect an update then. I have to reconfigure and/or temporarily disable CCleaner until I get that sorted out, though.

In the meantime, I am getting CS3 back on my desktop machine, and am going to do what I can do make the MazeCraze website as basic as possible (to allow space for SnapSuite). I will be scaling down images, making new buttons, and all that good stuff. Don't be surprised to see a major change when it is done :)

As far as SnapSuite goes, though...
Please, PLEASE if you run into any errors or problems or things that don't work (mainly the AHK sub-programs cause issues) PLEASE post the problem here. I am trying to do my best to make this the best VB project I can make it. ANY feedback is great :)

-Brandon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version