topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 4:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help  (Read 344291 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free computer help online (tune-ups, customization, etc)
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2007, 01:09 AM »
Good idea, Grorgy!   :D 

-

Saturday I tried a Vista Notebook, and Yes, it really is good looking  :up:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2007, 01:53 AM »
I truly don't understand what that terrible blue has to do with Optimize For Best Appearance!

;D ;D well said Curt!
Tom

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2007, 06:44 PM »
Just FYI for everyone wanting help...this is my personal info for how/when to contact me and such:

I use the AIM/MSN/Yahoo messeners...
wreckedcarzz (AIM)
[email protected]
[email protected]
Rarely am I offline/away (except for time zone differences, sleeping and school)

Assuming you want me to connect to your computer to take a look, you will need the free program CrossLoop from http://www.crossloop.com/download (it's about 2MB and takes 2-3 min to download and install on a high-speed connection)

Just to make it faster, if you know off the top of your head/easy reference these things then please include them in your IM/PM to me (I can find these easily if you can't don't know where, etc. they are just so I don't overload your PC)...
What OS you have
CPU speed
Amount of RAM
available Hard Drive space
and FIREWALL - this is the most important of them all; I can't connect if your firewall blocks me ;D

I can be contacted/able to help:
Mon-Fri: Anytime around 3-5PM, 6-10:30PM (-7GMT ARIZONA TIME; no DST)
Sat: Anytime for the most part from ~10AM-12AM (14 hours, not to be confused with the 2 hours from 10AM to 12PM)
Sun: Sunday I work during late afternoon and often have grandparents over. This isn't a good time, but if I can, I will squeeze you in between my cleaning up/cutting grass/carrying groceries/feeding dog/etc. Please note that I will often go AFK (Away From the Keyboard) during Sunday, so unless your out doing something, its not efficient.

And lastly...no problem is stupid to me (trust me, I have gotten used to solving small problems- sometimes its something major causing it, too) so if you just simply cannot do something/can't get something working, and it is embarrassing to ask for help, ask anyways- the ONLY stupid question is the one that isn't asked!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007, 05:36 PM »
...  you can have another 512MB of RAM, but Crucial ... have an area where you can fill in your computer info so they can ensure that they have the correct RAM available:
"Our System Scanner was able to find some of the data we need to make a recommendation, but we need more information to ensure a compatible match."
If you want to try that, you can go back to your system scan results here: http://www.crucial.com/(...)
-wreckedcarzz (May 06, 2007, 12:45 PM)

I gave the info, and today I received an e-mail from Crucial offering me a 400 MHz  twin 512 MB set, making it 1 new GB RAM. But must I buy a twin set, or can I settle with a single new 512 MB and still keep the old 'slow' 512 at the same time?

:tellme:

[After-edit: I found the answer to this elsewhere. (they will follow the slowest)]

Is it the right RAM type?
400MHz.gif
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 06:01 PM by Curt »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007, 02:14 AM »
It appears to be Curt. Make sure that you can return them though before making a final purchase, just encase (Crucial's bizrate.com rating is like 9.50 out of 10, so there shouldn't be a problem).
-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2007, 09:48 PM »
Just an FYI for everyone, I will not be able to do anything for the next couple days because I am reformatting my hard drive and I am starting over with the ORIGINAL Windows XP (so I have to get every single patch >:(). I should be back up and running fully by Thursday, no promises though ;D
-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2007, 01:07 AM »
I am :) to announce that I am back and fully running, so if anyone needs help I am now again available.
-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2007, 06:58 PM »
Hey just wondering if anyone needs help- tomorrow is my last day of school so I can take on a couple problems at a time from now on.
-Brandon

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2007, 11:33 AM »
Actually, I do need help again (and again and..).

This time it is the task:
How To Import Messages from Outlook Express 6 to Outlook 2003, XP Home? 

I will hate to send them to myself and have all these mails saying the wrong "From.."

It is just too lousy that there is no standard button in Outlook, "Import from OE"
- the question must have beeen asked millions of times before.

Is this within your capabilities?
 :tellme:

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2007, 12:27 PM »
With the help from Darwin I have solved the problem. My fault was that I only looked in Outlook for Import to Outlook (there is no such) - but I should have looked in Outlook Express > Files > for Export from Outlook Express to Outlook.

Thanks for the PM, Darwin  :up:
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 12:31 PM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2007, 11:22 AM »
Hi Curt - glad that worked out for you. It is frustrating, isn't it? I mean, OE is M$'s freebie e-mail client and Outlook is their full-blown and pricey version; why isn't it easier/more intuitive, to migrate from one to the other? Actually, it isn't really that hard, just not intuitive!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2007, 01:29 PM »
... OE is M$'s freebie e-mail client and Outlook is their full-blown and pricey version; ...

- or is it?

SEVEN MYTHS ABOUT OUTLOOK

2'nd Myth: Outlook is the "full version" of the free Outlook Express

Not in a million years. Outlook was developed by the Office program group as a Personal Information Manager (PIM) and e-mail program and positioned as the Exchange client to replace Schedule+ and the original Exchange client. Outlook Express was developed by the Internet Explorer group to provide simple mail and news handling for Windows users.

The feature sets in each program are targeted to the expected the user base: Outlook is a business e-mail client while Outlook Express is for home users. As a result, Outlook does some things better than OE, like calendaring, contacts, mail merge, and tasks; while OE has inline image display and newsgroups and is less complicated to use.

See http://www.slipstick...m/outlook/olexpr.htm and http://support.micro...oft.com/?kbid=257824 for more information on the differences between Outlook and Outlook Express.
-Exchange Messaging Outlook

- from the Slipstick Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center EMO newsletter (EMO = Exchange Messaging Outlook), Vol. 9, No. 2, 30 April 2004, a biweekly newsletter about Microsoft Exchange and Microsoft Outlook. http://slipstick.com/

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2007, 04:44 PM »
OK - my bad: I shouldn't have said "version". The article is right - they are two completely different apps that happen to read and send e-mail. Let me rephrase what I wrote to: " OE is their freebie e-mail client while Outlook is their fully-featured, big bucks e-mail client".

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2007, 04:58 AM »
"OE is their freebie e-mail client while Outlook is their fully-featured, big bucks e-mail client".

And it is strange that MS gave these two apps two almost identical names, when they are so different from each other. "Verily, verily, I say; let not your right hand know what your left is doing" - the Bible says about giving money-gifts to the church. Maybe MS got the occasion wrong.

But it would have been obvious for MS to make one the cheaper version of the other. Would have. But why say obvious and Microsoft in one and same sentence..

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2007, 09:54 AM »
"Verily, verily, I say; let not your right hand know what your left is doing" - the Bible says about giving money-gifts to the church. Maybe MS got the occasion wrong.
:)

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2007, 01:54 AM »
 ;D
After being able to come back to this thread, I was reading the posts above and was kinda shocked...I always used Outlook for just email and contacts...forgot it was for the Exchange server and calender and stuff too :P
why say obvious and Microsoft in one and same sentence..

You never know what they are up to (even if it is obvious)...but I am sure they don't know either ;D
-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2007, 10:30 PM »
Hi everyone!
In both trying to keep this thread active and giving an update to everyone...
I have now got a list of 6 applications for tuning/cleaning/optimizing/etc computers, as well as I (finally) took it upon myself and made a program in AutoHotKey that (once the applications are installed and configured) does 1/2 of the maintenance by itself, then helps you out through the other part. Its a beta (beta 1 - the first fully functional version) so I can't say it will work correctly, but it usually does (depending on your configuration). Send me a PM if you want me to work on your PC remotely or give you instructions (long) on how to do it yourself. Both ways I will give you the .exe so you can easily run the tools without help.
Hope to get some feedback,
-Brandon

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2007, 09:57 AM »
Neat idea Brandon - what are the six apps that you recommend (and require)?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2007, 11:23 PM »
The AHK script launches the following apps (in this order, for a reason - if anyone cares PM me and I will give you my logic behind this setup)

CCleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com/
Windows CleanUp! - http://www.stevengou...rg/software/cleanup/
Wise Registry Cleaner 2 - http://www.wisecleaner.com/
IObit Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal - http://www.iobit.com/
IObit SmartDefrag Beta 3 - http://www.iobit.com/
Free Registry Defrag - http://www.registry-...-registry-defrag.htm

I am looking for a better (freeware) registry defragmenter, if anyone can find (or code!) one, PLEASE send a PM my way!

-Brandon

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2007, 02:08 AM »
Hi Brandon
I just wanted to say a belated thanks for sorting out my sounds :up:
or should I say sorting out the lack of them  ;)

To anyone else wanting to get some work done on their computers I say:
I trust this guy -
I mean I had to trust him in order to allow him remote access to my computer -
but the important thing is that I still trust him afterwards  :D

Yes,
I can now listen to Last.fm as I work -
I gotta say though, after 4 years with a silent computer,
I got a shock with the noises some programmes come out with!

P.S. have you read the current thread about Defragging - see this post AND the following few posts
https://www.donation...31.msg64656#msg64656

I've tried the JkDefrag with gui on my C drive - it seemed fairly fast to me
Havent rebooted yet to try the other two apps (regristry & pagefile defragger)
Tom

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2007, 01:24 AM »
Thanks tomos, it means a lot. Glad to see you got your sound up and running :)
I skimmed through the defragging thread and Curt sent me a PM to one of the apps listed in the thread, one of the registry defragmenters. I am going to test it in the next day or two and see what it can do. I *THINK* (bad memory) I have heard of and used for a day or two JkDefrag - but I had the command prompt interface and it didn't help (about 2 years ago). I will look into that as well though.
-Brandon

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2007, 02:30 AM »
OK, some big news here...
I have programmed my first actual "program" in AutoHotKey. Actually, 2 programs. And they are both made to make both your and my life easier. How? Well, let me explain.

Program 1:
CompuTech AutoMaintenance Setup & Configuration
This little program lets you download all 6 programs that are used in program 2, install them, and configure them to work with program 2. And it goes step-by-step. Simple right? Well, it should be. *NOTE* I have not tested this program. I REALLY need a tester that has none of the programs on their computer to get with me on AIM/MSN Messenger/Yahoo Messenger and beta test it for me. If you can please PM me.

Program 2:
CompuTech AutoMaintenance
This is the actual program you use regularly (Task Scheduler for all you forgetful people like me) to clean, fix and optimize your computer. It now (thanks to wr975) is 100% automatic and is ready for public release. It runs all 6 programs with no user input (except for a couple info dialogs at the beginning) and restarts the computer afterwards. I have tested it on my home computers and it works amazingly.

So, summing up, running the first program lets new users get started and the second program lets everyone keep their computer in perfect condition, with next to no input (I am going to the AHK site now to look into making the info boxes time out so you can schedule it to run in the middle of the night).

Just FYI: Anyone can contact me/add me to their instant messenger contact list anytime, just PM me and I will send the names/addresses to you.

I will post the files here in a few hours (after I wake up around noon my time :P).
-Brandon

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2007, 08:29 AM »
Brandon - don't you sleep?! Are you home schooled or something? Just curious as I wonder how you are able to work on all this and still get to school everyday!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2007, 02:45 PM »
Actually I have been out of school for almost a month :)
And yea, I get up around 11 AM and go to sleep around 1 AM (and fall asleep around 1:30-2AM).
I fit in working on Maze Craze, working on my little programs and playing games along with everything else. Not really a big deal though.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2007, 03:03 PM »
Out of school for almost a month?! Luxury! You must start in August then? Around here they start on the Tuesday after Labour Day (first Monday in September) and go to around the end of the third week in June.