topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 3:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SnapSuite program family/Free online computer help  (Read 344281 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Free computer help online (tune-ups, customization, etc)
« Reply #125 on: August 09, 2007, 10:32 AM »
Today I recieved an email from Major Geeks telling that Advanced WindowsCare v2 Personal 2.51.802 had been launched, so I thought I would let EasyControl handle this update. But to my horror it took me to CNET download.com - which has never offered me a download speed higher than 32 KB/S - no, not 32 MB, but KB. I for one will never use CNET if I know of other download sites, so I am bound to ask you if it may be posible to code some other links, please?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2007, 08:57 PM »
EasyControl only uses Download.com for the initial setup- and checking, FileHippo.com does NOT have it on their servers (the Update > Update other programs and drivers) :o >:(

I will look into setting up an update system AND seeing if I can switch the Advanced WindowsCare initial setup link to MajorGeeks. Thanks for letting me know :)

Oh, before I forget.

Would it be of interest to make a pre-complied, ready to go zip for USB drives (somewhat like the PortableApps.com setup)? I was thinking about doing it (just got a Geek Squad 4GB drive) but don't want to make something no one will use. Thoughts?  :up: / :down:?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:09 PM by wreckedcarzz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: August 10, 2007, 04:16 AM »
Would it be of interest to make a pre-complied, ready to go zip for USB drives (somewhat like the PortableApps.com setup)? I was thinking about doing it (just got a Geek Squad 4GB drive) but don't want to make something no one will use. Thoughts?  :up: / :down:?

yes yes,  :up:
even i who knows so little about computing things :P get called upon by my family
so try sort out their messied-up PCs...
Tom

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Change of plans...err...sort of...
« Reply #128 on: August 10, 2007, 02:51 PM »
OK, I will see what I can do about a portable version :Thmbsup:

Change of plans (schedule wise, as far as me):

At the moment, I have school on Monday :o and have decided to merge everything I can into a portable version to aid in my transition. Along with this I have used Mozilla Sunbird to make a calender to schedule myself, so if you need computer help :read: you may have to wait a couple (plus?) days until I have a low homework load/programs completed on schedule. Here is my plan, and, if possible, :feedback:?

Every Saturday, release a new version of program X (whatever program is the highest "priority" at that time, currently EasyControl this Sat then SimpleStart next Sat).
Every Sunday, yard work
Every Weekday, homework load

So, if I plan this correctly, I *may* be able to get ahead of the homework and continue normally. No guarantees, but I am having a blast making something that is both useful and people enjoy (so programs would, logically/hopefully, take top priority).

EDIT: I am getting serious about permanently maintaining this "project" of mine, and at the moment I am scanning the web for the specifics on different license types (still keeping it free but not open source).

EDIT 2: I have setup an EULA just to save my bacon as far as if your computer blows up, catching your local bank on fire and killing your wife, I am not liable ;D
« Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 04:19 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2007, 05:52 PM »
OK, as requested by Curt, MajorGeeks is now the download area for Advanced WindowsCare V2 Personal.

I will post the update here as I said (read above post), I did tweak a couple things and I also added a new feature, some of you may find this to be handy, others may be freaking out flipping the power to your computer off, but I think it is for the better:

When AutoInstalling, AutoCleaning, AutoOptimizing, or EasyMaintaining, you will NOT BE ABLE TO CONTROL YOUR COMPUTER. This is added so that if the mother-in-law comes over and still uses Windows 98SE and wants to browse the internet through My Computer and plug the phone line into the FireWire port while your computer is getting fixed (or is installing things to get fixed) nothing can go wrong. (My grandmother...oh, never mind :P)

The BAD part about this is that if something DOES go wrong (:o :tellme:) you will have to
a) let it go
b) shut off the system power
c) run around in a circle and hope for the best ;D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 06:02 PM by wreckedcarzz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2007, 07:37 AM »
When AutoInstalling, AutoCleaning, AutoOptimizing, or EasyMaintaining, you will NOT BE ABLE TO CONTROL YOUR COMPUTER.
The BAD part about this is that if something DOES go wrong (:o :tellme:) you will have to
a) let it go
b) shut off the system power
c) run around in a circle and hope for the best ;D

I think that'll scare a lot of people (me for one)
how about it as an option - would that be possible? - for those of us without interfering mother-in-laws etc.  :)
Tom

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: August 13, 2007, 06:33 PM »
I may include it as a "Would you like to protect your computer while doing x?" type of thing. I just revamped the entire program's code, making it more efficient, and bumped the loading time down to 10 seconds (from 15). I will give it a whirl and see what I can do, but I probobly should be able to do it without problem. :up:

EDIT: I just did a test run with 2 basic buttons and everything checks out. I will have it as an option in the next version (a week or so from now).

Edit 2: It has been added into the program, along with a little info if you forget what it is asking and a new GUI setup (nothing you can see, but it is a thousand times better :D). I have also added a loading bar to the splash screen, and improved the loading sequence. Along with a couple other things that is just code based, not much else has changed. Any ideas or thoughts?  :feedback:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 08:28 PM by wreckedcarzz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: August 14, 2007, 02:10 AM »
Edit 2: It has been added into the program, along with a little info if you forget what it is asking

Brandon,
1) is that "it" = the option I requested?
2) do we still download from post 129 above?
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: August 14, 2007, 05:59 PM »

2: I use CrossLoop, a new free remote assistance program that encrypts all communication with 128 bit encryption. It is not hosted by SF but does use VNC.

-Brandon
-wreckedcarzz (May 03, 2007, 05:21 PM)

CrossLoop was presented on PodTech:
CrossLoop.gif

http://www.podtech.n...amily-with-crossloop

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: August 14, 2007, 06:04 PM »
CroosLoop drives my AV scatty I'm afraid...
every startup...
maybe it's just cause I being the cheapskate & using AOL/Kapersky antivirus which doesnt allow for ignoring files..
Tom

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2007, 01:42 AM »
... antivirus which doesnt allow for ignoring files..

Yes, CrossLoop really is spyware... and we want it to be!  :D  But, really, tomos, anti-virus that doesn't allow for ignoring and trusting files? Ehhmm... is it time to look for another solution?

Speaking of CrossLoop: quote from today's "alert" from Gizmo:

2.1 Free Remote Control Utility Offers Ease of Use

I'm impressed with CrossLoop. It's the easiest way yet to remotely control a distant PC. Before you get your hopes up, let me say that it is no substitute for products like LogMeIn or PCAnywhere, both of which allow you to login to a remote PC without anyone in attendance. By contrast, CrossLoop absolutely requires someone at the other end. If you can live with that limitation, CrossLoop may just what you have been looking for.

It works like this: The user on the remote PC runs CrossLoop and generates a random 12 digit key which they send to you by email, phone, whatever. You plug this key into a copy of CrossLoop running on your own PC and request a connection with the remote. If the remote user accepts the connection you then can take control of the remote PC and operate it through your keyboard and screen. At all times the user at the remote sees on his screen exactly what is happening.

That's pretty much standard remote computing, but it is the ease of use that makes CrossLoop different. No complex commands or firewall configuration are needed, just the ability to follow simple on-screen instructions. CrossLoop is really a smart front-end to the open source utility TightVNC. It supports 128 bit Blowfish encrypted connections and unlike the free version of LogMeIn, allows for two-way file transfers between the client and host PCs. Unlike Windows Remote Desktop, it will run on any PC from Windows 98 onwards. Just the thing for helping a friend with a PC problem, remote support or remote user training.

Thanks to subscriber Mike Pasternack for the suggestion. Freeware, Windows 98 and later, 2.28MB

http://www.crossloop.com
-Gizmo
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 01:49 AM by Curt »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2007, 08:40 PM »
Edit 2: It has been added into the program, along with a little info if you forget what it is asking

Brandon,
1) is that "it" = the option I requested?
2) do we still download from post 129 above?
Yes it is (EasyProtect, I just came up with the name out of the blue :P)
EDIT: I didn't see your second question. I do believe that is the updated version, but I would recommend AGAINST downloading it, as Saturday I will be uploading the latest version with a GUI improvment, new loading screen (with progress bar!) and totally optimized code (I litterally took it apart and put it back together in a better manner to boost time and increase the time before I need to recode it in a better, more logical manner). I am tinkering with the GUI now on my Windows XP machine (7 years old) and I am having...trouble with the new GUI setup, but it should be done in the next day or two and all set for Saturday. I would say more, but I will keep it "top secret" for now :P

Yay, CrossLoop is featured online! I still haven't found any programs that are bad that I use for the maintenance (I do have "guidelines" I follow before I use them, though). :)

And yes, CrossLoop should be setting off your virus scanners. Be happy they are doing their job! CrossLoop is NOT a virus, BUT the program at its core (VNC I believe) is commonly used and manipulated to be one. I have been running scans on remote computers via CrossLoop and actually killed CrossLoop because the virus scanner picked it up while I was working ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 09:06 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2007, 02:04 AM »
OK, I am going to post a question here instead of the install program (for now) so, here goes:

I have a list of different things I want to incorporate into the program, and have part of them planned, but it would be at least another week (probably two, to be honest) to get it all setup. I have most of my goals done for this release, but I just realised I need to update and toss the help file in there too, so that would have to be put off too :(!!!

So, in a nutshell, what should I do?
a) Release the current one (it works fine, there are no bugs* or anything)
b) hold off 1 +/- week and work on it a bit more

*No bug statement is not guaranteed :P

I want everyone to have a simple, nice experience with EasyControl (Easy to Control) and I want to make it as good as it can be, but the current version makes setup a bit easier, and makes overall use for all users a lot more...causal (thats not the word I want to use, but its a lot better then it was basically). So basically it boils down to the fight between

Distribute now and let new/inexperienced users have an easier navigation system AND wait longer for new features (longer then the latter, below)
vs
Distribute later, and have to continue to help newer users get used to the somewhat strange setup of the program BUT get more features in the end.

:feedback:

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2007, 02:08 AM by wreckedcarzz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2007, 02:35 AM »
Considering the total number of downloads [8], I see very little reason for you to rush anything. Take your time to write, write and write!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: August 19, 2007, 02:54 AM »
Quick update: OK, I am going to keep working on it, and see if I can't get everything done. I have already done a major update and added text help below buttons, explaining what they do, and making the buttons simpler. UNFORTUNATELY, 800x600 users will have difficulty using the lower buttons. I am sorry about that, but to keep the interface looking nice I can't really do anything about it. :( If it is a problem I do have an idea, but it won't look as good as it could.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2007, 12:11 AM »
Ok, I have done a little updating, and was looking into making a built-in updating program, so i am going to make a somewhat proof-of-concept version of it for me to build on. I was thinking about hosting it on FileHippo.com, so that may be another option (that way you can just run the update checker in EasyControl and get the new program with it!).

I will wait until CCleaner 2.0 comes out of beta, to update links and such, before posting the program (so not really a change or anything, just a notice). The new version looks really nice, they say it is 1/2 the size, faster and now even has the ability to go portable!

I am going to scan the net tomorrow for a new Registry Cleaner as well.

Is there anything anyone wants added (anything)? I have quite a bit of time to work on it, so if you have an idea it will probobly show up in the new version.

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #141 on: August 24, 2007, 08:12 PM »
Just a short update for those who are interested,

If you head over to this page,
http://www.incredisi...com/easyupdates.aspx
you can see that I have a LOT on my hands.

Regardless, EasyControl is still going to be my top priority (it is my largest and most used program).

I am trying to setup an updater system. While the code portion is not hard, finding the hosting space is. Don't be suprised if you run the updater on the next version and get the file "CompuTech EasyControl EasyInstall" from http://mazecraze.dcisv.com (the Maze Craze site).

I *may* go back to the freeware Tweak Now RegCleaner for registry cleaning. Eusing does a great job, but the nag screen auto-closing is kinda...defeats the purpose of it, and is (IMO) a slap in the face of the developer. I have had a good experience with RegCleaner, and the new version hopefully exceeds the last time/version I used.

BUG: This is kind of embarassing for me, as I just posted on my site that:

"WORKS WITH WINDOWS VISTA

Yes, all my programs work under Windows XP, and Windows Vista. No compatability issues at all!"

When, while that is true, User Account Control seems to have a bit of a problem with Eusing and Advanced WindowsCare. I will have a little fix to disable UAC in the next version (yes, if you are on Vista you will have to disable UAC, or help me find a new, better program for the problematic ones. Sorry, but UAC isn't exactly a step forward in anything but anger problems :P).

Anyways, I am still not releasing any pictures of the new GUI interface, as I think I am going to fiddle some more and see if I can't clean it up further (sorting through almost 36 pages of code, to update and remove ONE THING!).

As always, post ideas/better programs/ideal additions/other things that could be done and anything else. I am about to check on CCleaners progress of development- I really want to see what the final product looks like :)!

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Screenshot released!
« Reply #142 on: August 26, 2007, 01:11 PM »
OK, I am so extremely tempted to post screenshots...
Maybe just one won't hurt :P

I am done working on this version with 2 exceptions:

UAC Disabler (or at least instructions on how to do it)
New registry cleaner (I am scanning with Abexo right now- TweakNow has too many variables that require user input)

I did way too many changes to list, and a lot has changed (both viewable and not), but it just got a lot simpler.

Also, I am bundling everything I do into one central installer (10MB) so people don't have to hunt and peck for different programs and "this doesn't work" and "I get an error when I click <item>". If you read my fake virus thread you already know that I am not distributing that, and I had one other joke program I am not putting in.

Anyways, here is a screenshot of the new Main Menu for EasyControl. Enjoy!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 01:13 PM by wreckedcarzz »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #143 on: August 27, 2007, 08:56 PM »
Well, I have already posted in like 6 topics in the last 15 minutes, so why not another ;D

But anyways...

I am going to release a RC for anyone interested in trying it out. It will be on an external site because its too big, incase your wondering.

Please, if you DO download, PLEASE give feedback. I am half temped to rip apart all the programs and throw them all together right now because of the success I have had so far with the new "Control Panel" setup (CompleteControl) (although combining them all would improve how it worked, maintainability would drop to like a 1% chance of getting anything done, so I guess thats not an option ;D)

If you run EasyControl and notice that CCleaner doesnt open- relax. This is one of the probobly 500+ changes. It won't "open" but it will "open". (ex: It runs silently now)

If you run SimpleStart you will notice that only a few of the top programs from the "Top 3 programs you use" thread are in there. Don't worry. I have my 5 page list hovering over me like a big black storm cloud.

If you run WinFix (used to be Dr. Windows 2) then you will get an error message when "activate now" is pressed or if you wait for 30 minutes. There is a program bug, and dispite tinkering earlier today, I don't think it is repaired. (Just don't open WinFix).

MSN IM Clear WAS IM Clear and that is NOW EasyClear. (Confusing, but I am trying to make a central theme (Easy<what program does>); call me crazy, but thats what I am trying to do).

I have 3 tweaks I am going to do before calling this final, and they are as follows:

Fix WinFix
Add UAC disabler to EasyControl
Change registry cleaner

Feedback on how to set this up/what you think about the control panel type of idea is also welcome, its a dramatically new idea that I just took a swing at and it took off.

Enjoy! :Thmbsup:
-Brandon

Download here:
http://cid-7f064ff43...ontrol%20Install.exe

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2007, 01:16 AM »
Anyone downloaded? Any feedback?

I am going to upload one final (Release Canidate) version in the next day or two, I have combined EasyHold and SimpleStart (now SimpleOpen) and EasyChat and EasyClear (that was IM Clear) to make EasyChat n Clear (I hate the name, hopefully I will come up with something less crummy, and fast).

A couple misc changes, and SimpleOpen will have the user-decided list of programs (see here: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=9503.0) once I download, install, find, and input the default paths...

I am looking for complaints, anything...anything at all...I haven't gotten everything in yet so I would like to get things changed before I set stuff in stone.

I will post again with a link in the next day or so. :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2007, 09:45 AM »
Download here: http://cid-7f064ff43...ontrol%20Install.exe

Wow; 9.6 MB - this new baby sure is "not tiny"! However, the first time I clicked this link I was taken to Windows Live which required me to tell when I was born and where I live, so it should not come as a surprise if someone will cancel the download, leaving you with fewer testers...

-

I have been puzzled by the buttons EasyChat and EasyHold, and more, but so far I have refused to push those buttons, because I know no programs with such names. Now I see that your new DC signature is linking to those programs, but maybe you should tell a little here about these apps? Edit: I for one will never follow a link unless some text first made me interested.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 10:55 AM by Curt »

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2007, 06:59 PM »
Wow; 9.6 MB - this new baby sure is "not tiny"! However, the first time I clicked this link I was taken to Windows Live which required me to tell when I was born and where I live, so it should not come as a surprise if someone will cancel the download, leaving you with fewer testers...

-

I have been puzzled by the buttons EasyChat and EasyHold, and more, but so far I have refused to push those buttons, because I know no programs with such names. Now I see that your new DC signature is linking to those programs, but maybe you should tell a little here about these apps? Edit: I for one will never follow a link unless some text first made me interested.
Hi Curt, let me clear up some stuff...

First of all, Windows Live should NOT require you to login or register :o as I have tried it and it doesn't ask me, however it is a beta program, so :-\

I am aware of the...size of the file. Unfortunately. I can't really make it smaller, I have been pushing that point for a while, but it is a lot smaller then installing all the programs individually, so it is an improvement, nonetheless.

The buttons, ahh, buttons. Very shiny. ;D
Ill give a quick overview of the new programs that are now included in the "package" program idea...
(this is from the newest version to be released in the next couple days, but I am trying to explain the current version's buttons also):

EasyChat (named EasyChat n Clear in latest build) - this is my little app for making and saving custom text for later automatic typing. Open, click the key (F2-F12) button you want to assign the text to, type away, and click Apply. Then hit the key at any time and see your text entered instantly. :)

EasyHold (now part of SimpleOpen in latest build) - this was a request in my "Computer jokeware..." topic. Start the program, type a popular drink (including Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, Dr. Pepper, beer :o ;D and a couple more) and watch your computer make a cup holder for you!

IM Clear (now a part of EasyChat n Clear in the latest build) - Clears instant message/chat session text from prying eyes. Mainly for teenagers like me who have folks that are a little too nozy at times. ;)

SimpleStart (named SimpleOpen in latest build) - my little FARR alternative/basic app launcher/system manager (includes options to open/close disk drives, check free space, turn up/down or mute volume, open My Computer, open Recycle Bin, open Control panel, and more. Its a complex yet simple program, driven by its tray menu (includes a basic GUI, as well).

WinFix - my Dr. Windows replacment. (Don't use it yet.) It works the exact same way as Dr. Windows, and has many of the same/similar "errors". Has a code bug that keeps the errors from coming up (except the "could not open file or document" error :P)

The TinyUrl.com links are to the pages explaining the programs, not direct downloads. They all point to various pages on my site (http://www.incredisims.com/).

All the programs, except WinFix, work flawlessly (knock on wood). I have had a couple little problems with them, but just because of Spyware Terminator's realtime shield and Vista's UAC. Nothing caused by my end of it.

Hope I helped out, I may change the link so its not some annoying register stuff >:(

-Brandon
« Last Edit: August 30, 2007, 07:02 PM by wreckedcarzz »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2007, 07:04 PM »
First of all, Windows Live should NOT require you to login or register  as I have tried it and it doesn't ask me, however it is a beta program, so

I get this cursed behaviour with Notepad dialogues of all things. I have not yet figured out what is going on, but it first requires me to click "cancel" on a number of requests to log into a webdav folder from work and then switches to two requests to log into Live. I'd love to figure out why this is so as well. As I never use notepad (EditPad Pro and ultraedit for me!), I've never followed up very diligently. Perhaps I will now...

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2007, 07:09 PM »
First of all, Windows Live should NOT require you to login or register  as I have tried it and it doesn't ask me, however it is a beta program, so

I get this cursed behaviour with Notepad dialogues of all things. I have not yet figured out what is going on, but it first requires me to click "cancel" on a number of requests to log into a webdav folder from work and then switches to two requests to log into Live. I'd love to figure out why this is so as well. As I never use notepad (EditPad Pro and ultraedit for me!), I've never followed up very diligently. Perhaps I will now...
Its all a big plan, run my Mr. Gates himself. Were all doomed ;D

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #149 on: August 30, 2007, 07:12 PM »
Heh, heh - you're not alone in harbouring these conspiracy theories about M$!