ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini-Review: Wubi - Painless, partion-free WindowsXP/Ubuntu dual booting

<< < (4/5) > >>

jeffjeff:
"The Wubi program will ask you for a usename and password for the initial Ubuntu account (the usename field will prefill with your Windows usename).  At this point, the program will extract the iso into three virtual disk files in C:\wubi, which are mounted using a loopback when you boot into Ubuntu.  These three disks took +7gigs on my computer.  It will also modify your boot.ini file and drop some grub files into C:\."

Does this mean that I must have +7G free in C: ?
Is it possible to choose that to be placed in one of my other partitions?  I try to have a relatively small C: with only Windows and my MOST common programs, that can be quickly backuped and replaced.

dobbie606:
Many Thanks Prof.Carl,
-two years of procrastination of installing Linux has paid off!
-Your splendid review made me do it& what a treat it was: utterly goof-proof install, & online in minutes.
Cheers

dhuser:
Wubi has appeared on the DailyDownload Blog at Download.com:
http://www.download.com/8301-2007_4-9723017-12.html?tag=head

Computer giant Dell made big news yesterday when it began shipping desktops and laptops pre-installed with Ubuntu, a popular Linux distribution. I'm not sure who the heck is going to buy a Linux Dell, but it certainly marks a sea change in retail computing.
--- End quote ---

AEngineer:
5/28/2007 One caution for those who backup regularly.  I believe I'm correct that any change in the wubi file means that then entire (in my case 20G) file will needs to be backed up.  This bogged my system down so i went to a dual-boot (eventually chose kUbuntu after a disastrous experience with Mepis totally trashing my windows install).

5/11/2007
I found the problem and was able to install it successfully.  Wubi needs a lot more space than I realized.  When I put it on a drive with 20G free it installed very nicely and works very well
[/quote]

cthorpe:
5/28/2007 One caution for those who backup regularly.  I believe I'm correct that any change in the wubi file means that then entire (in my case 20G) file will needs to be backed up.  This bogged my system down so i went to a dual-boot (eventually chose kUbuntu after a disastrous experience with Mepis totally trashing my windows install).
-AEngineer (May 28, 2007, 10:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just excluded the Wubi files from my backup program.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version