topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Movie Collector 5 released  (Read 21038 times)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Movie Collector 5 released
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2007, 08:57 AM »
Thanks Carl!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 09:23 AM by Darwin »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007, 02:03 PM »
Well, I'll be...

I've been fairly critical of Collectorz.com and their unresponsiveness to feature requests and all, but it does seem like either I've caught them on bad days or they've changed.

One of the major disappointments I had with version 5 of Movie Collector was the lack of multi-disc support, and the response I got when complaining about it was this:
here's an explanation of why we didn't (and probably never will) add [multi-disc]
(...)
-Alwin Hoogerdijk (Wed May 02, 2007 8:49 am)
Guess it'll never happen, but...

... I still did some arguing and I also created some mock screenshots with explanations (obviously with the aid of Screenshot Captor (and GIMP) :D ) on how I pictured this feature, and lo and behold:
Mmm, that is a great idea.
(...)
Anway, I have just discussed this multi-disc stuff with Mark-Jan and Bernard and I am happy to tell you that we have decided to go for it.
So version 5.1 will finally have multi-disc support, at least the basics of it (episodes, features and storage data per disc). Then we may expand on it later based on user feedback.
-Alwin Hoogerdijk (Thu May 10, 2007 11:30 am)

They've also decided to improve their box set support, based on several users' feedback (obviously including my complaints ;) ).

So in the end, while I still think Collectorz.com didn't handle the new upgrade scheme all too well, at least they've actually impressed with me with the way they've handled these requests, ideas and complaints about some much wanted features :up: I think I've actually regained my trust and respect of the company.

It still remains to be seen how well they'll implement this, but just doing it is a giant leap IMO.

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007, 03:02 PM »
Well tuckndar, seems to me you should ask for a commission on sales from their new found wealth if they incorporate your ideas  ;D

Cloq

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 10:42 PM »
Well done, cthorpe  :up:

I am all for supporting shareware authors and I actually prefer shareware programs over commercial ones any day.

On that note, typically when shareware authors offer lifetime licenses, it is to build a customer base/following whatever you may want to call it. After an X amount of time it would be in their best interest to change the model to a pay as you go (discounts for upgrades), with one MAJOR exception, grandfather your charter lifetime customers and let them keep their lifetime license for future revisions/upgrades. After all, they are the ones that typically spread the good name (sometimes bad) of the program and provided the seed money. 

Ad Muncher is a classic example of how it should be done. They started with a lifetime license model and (correct me if I am wrong) late last year, switched to the pay as you go model (with discounts for major upgrades).  What made them stand out is that they honored their lifetime license members and continue to do so. :Thmbsup: :-*

If I had more computers, I wouldn't hesistate to purchase more licenses from them even though current licenses are pay as you go. That is how much I respect and love their program, that and they have an excellent support forum.... second to DC of course.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 07:25 AM by Cloq »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2007, 12:14 AM »
Just to note, Collectorz.com IS grandfathering their lifetime licence holders. Most people have three main issues with what happened, though: 1. the policy change was not announced in any way to their user base, 2. very little effort was made to change the website and the information on it to reflect the change (like a banner announcing it!) and 3. people who DID deserve a free upgrade to Movie Collector 5 courtesy of having purchased lifetime licences were charged anyway and only found out that they had been eligible by reading the user forums. Users that don't go near the forums are probably still in the dark.

So, it is not so much that collectorz.com "pulled a fast one" as it is that they didn't set things up for the transition very well.

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2007, 11:55 AM »
Good news, everyone...

MoC 5.1 has now been released (well, actually it's 5.1.1) with multi-disc and improved box set support!

What's new...
Multi-Disc support:
- Use the new Episodes & Features tab page to create Disc items for each disc in a multi-disc DVD set
- Enter Episode lists per disc
- Enter Standard Features and Extra Features per disc
- Improved carousel support: now enter Storage Device and Slot per disc
- Automatic Episode numbering
- Improved View, Export and Print template to show episodes, features and storage data per disc
Enhanced Box Set support:
- Box Set item now has extra fields for Front cover, Back Cover, Release Date, Barcode, Purchase Date, Price, Store, Condition, Current Value and Notes
- All Box Set fields are now shown in a special Box Set bar at the top of the Details View (in both Movie Collector 5 and Classic templates)
- new Box Set List button on toolbar for direct access to the Box Set List screen
- new Movie fields on Edition tab page: Distributor and Extras
-Collectorz.com
* TucknDar is a much happier customer now ;D

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2008, 11:26 AM »
MC 6, which releases tomorrow, will now fetch data exclusively from their own online database. Support for IMDB and every other source has been completely dropped.

v5 users should be OK because even after the one year support (IIRC) ends there's a big (geeky) user-base that should take care of changes to data retrieval scripts but this is a controversial decision to say the least. Lots of pissed off users on their forums - and for good reason!  :)

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2008, 12:15 PM »
MC 6, which releases tomorrow, will now fetch data exclusively from their own online database. Support for IMDB and every other source has been completely dropped.

I think it's not as bad as that sounds. From an update email they just sent out:
Now, when you download the DVD details of your specific edition, our system will automatically use Amazon to supply the missing cover image.
The beauty of it is: you won't even notice :-)

Are you using our Flic or CueCat scanner to add your DVDs?
Then version 6 will work out great for you!

You see, now our system will also do automatic Amazon Lookups for all barcode searches that are not recognized by our own database.
Again, you won't notice a thing, apart from getting more hits of course!

And if even Amazon reports: "never heard of that one", we've got a new "last resort" lookup solution (only for Region 1 discs though):

-- The excellent Region 1 DVD List published by hometheaterinfo.com --

It won't give you cover images, but it will at least recognize your barcodes and return basic information like Title, Year, Studio, Genre and Release Date. The list is updated on a daily basis, so it will be a great help keeping our results up-to-date.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2008, 12:14 AM »

I think it's not as bad as that sounds. From an update email they just sent out:
Now, when you download the DVD details of your specific edition, our system will automatically use Amazon to supply the missing cover image.
The beauty of it is: you won't even notice :-)

Are you using our Flic or CueCat scanner to add your DVDs?
Then version 6 will work out great for you!

You see, now our system will also do automatic Amazon Lookups for all barcode searches that are not recognized by our own database.
Again, you won't notice a thing, apart from getting more hits of course!

And if even Amazon reports: "never heard of that one", we've got a new "last resort" lookup solution (only for Region 1 discs though):

-- The excellent Region 1 DVD List published by hometheaterinfo.com --

It won't give you cover images, but it will at least recognize your barcodes and return basic information like Title, Year, Studio, Genre and Release Date. The list is updated on a daily basis, so it will be a great help keeping our results up-to-date.

Actually, it IS as bad as it sounds - at least until their database gets some teeth. Presently Alwin is trying to boast about how many movies are listed in their own database. Problem that I have experienced, however, is that the movies that are in there have very little detail for almost all movies. Only the front cover art - if any - and a summary of the plot. Not much else. I have mainly used DVDEmpire's database which has a tremendously greater amount of data in it for all movies that I have searched there.

Another issue is that Alwin is claiming that the reason for this change is that new users who download the demo version do not purchase because they are too confused by the Auto-Add dialog; that having multiple data sources is just too tricky for most new users. Sorry but that doesn’t quite go sown easily here. Besides, why not just add a "Simple" auto-add dialog that only searches their database, and keep the existing search dialog there for users who prefer it? Which is almost definitely the majority of existing users. Or, barring that, utilize the two separate versions - Standard and Pro - to differentiate between the multiple database search and the simple, one-database search?

Alwin even posted a thread to gather user suggestions for version 6 about a year ago, and then admittedly ignored all suggestions there in favor of his own - to limit the user data to his own admittedly lacking database.

In cases like mine where I am fortunate to have already built a database of my currently owned DVDs and managed to gather a lot of detailed data, using only the Collectorz.com weak database for new DVDs only is not quite as bad as someone who needs to add several hundred - or thousand - DVDs from scratch. I pity those users, as they will get only a bare minimum of detail for each DVD and will then have to add the remaining detail by searching for it outside of the Collectorz.com software and cut/paste it all into there individual database entries. I would not relish that task.

Jim

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2008, 12:21 AM »
Sorry - I didn't even comment of Alwin's slight capitulation and decision to use Amazon for data missing from his own database. That is not much better of a solution, as Amazon hardly has any more info about the DVDs than the Collectorz.com database has. Amazon also offers only the front covers and also offers little detail. Plus, Movie Collector has NEVER utilized Amazon's meager episode details. Don’t know why but it has always omitted that for as long as I have used it - which is only about a year.

As for the homethreaterinfo.com data, that is also just very basic data - no real details there.

It would still be easier to use both simple and advanced searches. There are most likely other reasons they are doing away with the other database searches. But they are not saying what.

Jim

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2008, 02:55 AM »
It is also somewhat ironic that a European company is only going to utilise Amazon for Region 1 titles!

I think there are two main reasons for this (and neither have anything to do with users):

1) They presumably pay licenses to allow people to access multiple data sources and by moving to a single source model they own they will reduce overheads. There may also have been some issues with the data source providers that users aren't aware of - like the growing amount of data exchange that some stores in particular would not be happy with (after all it doesn't generate income for them beyond licenses that Collectorz have been paying).

2) (And this is probably the primary reason) Multiple data sources take a lot of maintenance. During the lifespan of the Collectorz products these source scripts have had to be updated a number of times because they ceased to work. This has forced users to update and upgrade the software multiple times to maintain access to these sources. Now that they are charging customers for upgrades they are probably getting a lot of grief from customers because there is the potential that people will be forced to pay for upgrades just to maintain a working product. I can't see them updating older version scripts to allow multiple data source access indefinitely - in emails they have already suggested that Movie C. will only be supported for 12 months and even then they don't make it clear that the 12 months will include any updates or if it is just customer support. I think the primary reason is to have a data source that they can control so that they don't have maintain the access script library.

The fact that their own data source is woefully inadequate probably doesn't bother them too much - they never have shown much regard for what their customers want and on more than one occasion when many existing customers have screamed in frustration have simply taken the attitude "like it or lump it - it is what we are doing and we have no interest in what existing customers think". If their stated reason (ie. to simplify the user interface for users) was true then it could very easily be solved to everyone's satisfaction - simply have a default standard user interface with an advanced multi source interface for those who want/need to use it.

As it stands it is still good software but I'd guess for the majority of non-US customers we are stuck with using a scanner and keyboards to manually enter the correct data for items - which will doubtlessly be uploaded to their servers and so we become unpaid providers for their database.

Personally I think they should make the software free if this is the model they propose since I don't particularly want to work for a foreign company and pay them for the privilege. I am afraid I am rapidly coming to the conclusion that even with life time free upgrades I am going to uninstall their software and support an open source alternative that has more respect for users.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 03:01 AM by Carol Haynes »

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2008, 02:58 AM »
Any recommendations, Carol?

Thanks!

Jim

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2008, 03:02 AM »
Any recommendations, Carol?

Thanks!

Jim

Not at the moment - there were some recommendations in the past for open source programs in these forums but I haven't looked at them recently.

I am also slightly curious about how they maintain their database - all of this artwork (as well as synposes etc) are copyright - how are they getting and paying for permission to use all this information - esp. if it is generated automatically by users? Are the copyright lawyers suddenly going to hit them for a multimillion settlement and wipe them out?