ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Movie Collector 5 released

<< < (5/8) > >>

Darwin:
I guess I should amend my comment above by noting that the licencsing policy is clearly stated in the FAQ BUT, as Carol notes in a posting on the forum, returning customers are not wont to run around checking on-line FAQ's to see if there's been a policy change. One expects that there will be an announcement on the purchase page, if no where else...

Carol Haynes:
The only place I have seen a clear statement is if you click on the upgrade link on Movie Collector homepage.

Given that the link wasn't there before this upgrade I can't see how there was any clear statement.

There was no comment at all in the original purchase emails on upgrade policy and according to the forum they thought it was stated in their license agreement. Well as you can see it wasn't mentioned in the December download and I have just checked the new version license and it isn't there either.

Personally I think they should draw a line under it and say all new purchases from NOW will be subject to the new policy clearly on the website and support previous users according to the de facto understanding.

It would even be a little more sensible to hold their hands up and make a statement of the new policy by email to all registered users and if they want to explain the old policy is not financially practical in the long term and the new policy will apply to everyone, but previous purchasers will get the next major upgrade free as partial compensation.

Darwin:
Heh, heh... You've more or less written exactly what I've been thinking, Carol:

It would even be a little more sensible to hold their hands up and make a statement of the new policy by email to all registered users and if they want to explain the old policy is not financially practical in the long term and the new policy will apply to everyone, but previous purchasers will get the next major upgrade free as partial compensation.
--- End quote ---

This is more or less the "middle ground" solution I *think* we can expect, though obviously I'd be happier with this:

I think they should draw a line under it and say all new purchases from NOW will be subject to the new policy clearly on the website and support previous users according to the de facto understanding.
--- End quote ---

Hear, hear!

Darwin:
I indexed my Collectorz program files folder with Archivarius and searched for upgrade. Very interesting BECAUSE this text is in the licence agreement as articulated in the help file for each of the four Collector apps that I own:

The Licensor reserves the right to charge an upgrade fee in the case of major new enhancements or additions to the Software.  This major new version will then start a new version line that will use version numbers clearly distinguishable from the old version line.  The Licensee has no obligation to upgrade to the new version line and the Licensor will continue to make the latest version of the previous version line available for download to Licensee.
--- End quote ---

BUT is absent from ALL of the actual EULA agreements...

cthorpe:
Well, I finally got a brief reply back on my lengthy email.  All it said is:

I have informed Mark-Jan about your mail, since you are asking for a formal statement.

kind regards,
Henk-Jan van der Kamp

--- End quote ---

I'll keep you informed.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version